Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 online solution!!!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

@Tauren: Yep, assign your PS3 a static IP address on your network, set up that IP address to be the DMZ on your router and then do the following:

1. Start up the PS3. Go to Settings -> Network Settings -> Internet Connection Settings.
    2. Select "Yes" when it asks do you want to continue.
    3. Select "Custom" for "Select a setting method".
    4. Select "Wired Connection" (since you're using an ethernet cable).
    5. Select "Manual Settings" for Select the operation mode of the network device.
    6. Select "Auto Detect" for Speed and Duplex.
    7. Select "Automatic" for IP Address setting.
    8. Select "Do Not Set" for DHCP host name.
    9. Select "Automatic" for DNS Setting.
    10. Select "Manual" for MTU. Change this value to 1492 (for broadband over your phoneline).
    11. Select "Do Not Use" for Proxy Server.
    12. Select "Disable" for uPnP.
    13. Finally, hit X to enter, and then agan at "Test Connection".

Test should then bring back up the results with uPnP disabled and NAT Type 2. Either have your PS3 in the DMZ, or if you prefer not to or can't, make sure you forward all of the necessary ports to the PS3 IP address. Unless you're forwarding ports to other PCs/consoles on your network, then DMZ should be fine - there's no risk of having the PS3 on DMZ, very little (if any) dangers exist for it so far! But do be warned that DMZ will override port forwards, so if you've a PC that you online game with, then the DMZ is not going to forward ports to it anymore, they'll be forwarded to your PS3.

EDIT: Just something I thought of there - those crappy ZyXEL BT modems, I think they've routers built into them aswell - this could cause you a few problems as then you're "double routing", which is an absolute cnut! Give the above a try anyway, let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,109 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Kensington wrote: »
    @Tauren: Yep, assign your PS3 a static IP address on your network, set up that IP address to be the DMZ on your router and then do the following:

1. Start up the PS3. Go to Settings -> Network Settings -> Internet Connection Settings.
    2. Select "Yes" when it asks do you want to continue.
    3. Select "Custom" for "Select a setting method".
    4. Select "Wired Connection" (since you're using an ethernet cable).
    5. Select "Manual Settings" for Select the operation mode of the network device.
    6. Select "Auto Detect" for Speed and Duplex.
    7. Select "Automatic" for IP Address setting.
    8. Select "Do Not Set" for DHCP host name.
    9. Select "Automatic" for DNS Setting.
    10. Select "Manual" for MTU. Change this value to 1492 (for broadband over your phoneline).
    11. Select "Do Not Use" for Proxy Server.
    12. Select "Disable" for uPnP.
    13. Finally, hit X to enter, and then agan at "Test Connection".

Test should then bring back up the results with uPnP disabled and NAT Type 2. Either have your PS3 in the DMZ, or if you prefer not to or can't, make sure you forward all of the necessary ports to the PS3 IP address. Unless you're forwarding ports to other PCs/consoles on your network, then DMZ should be fine - there's no risk of having the PS3 on DMZ, very little (if any) dangers exist for it so far! But do be warned that DMZ will override port forwards, so if you've a PC that you online game with, then the DMZ is not going to forward ports to it anymore, they'll be forwarded to your PS3.

EDIT: Just something I thought of there - those crappy ZyXEL BT modems, I think they've routers built into them aswell - this could cause you a few problems as then you're "double routing", which is an absolute cnut! Give the above a try anyway, let us know how you get on!

Well, went home yesterday and my internet wasn't working at all - so i had to spend ages just getting it working again. Didn't bother with the wireless router yesterday, just plugged the PS3 directly into the ZyXEL modem and forwarded the relevant ports directly from it to the PS3. Was FINALLY able to make and accept invites. Was able to make and accept invites from a mate down the coutry, and one of our fellow boardsies. Another mate had to change HIS settings to get the invites working (which was odd cause he had been able to connect to other people no probs...) but at least I/We finally got it working.

I would like to get it working with the wireless router, but I'm a little apprehensive regarding messing with the settings and connections again, now that it finally appears to be working.

The one thing I do want to sort is the static IP for the PS3. at the moment it is dynamic, which means I have to boot upo the PS3 with no game, check the IP address it has been assigned, then log on to my modem through my PC and configure the port forwarding tot he new IP address. It doesn't take too long to do, but i'd prefer to not have to do it. I just don't know what IP address I should give it as I do not know what the number range actually is. I have read I should chose one far away from what it is assigned automatically (currently something like 1.36) so I should be using, say, 1.200 but i have also been told it needs to remain within the DHCP range, or something, and I don't know what that range actually is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭superweld

my MTU is 1500. I'm on nat1 wireless with eircom and all seems to be running well.

if i change the MTU to 1492 as recommended above what difference will it make to me? i don't want to change a good thing

Tauren wrote:
    I would like to get it working with the wireless router, but I'm a little apprehensive regarding messing with the settings and connections again, now that it finally appears to be working.
    What make and model is your wireless router?
    superweld wrote:
    my MTU is 1500. I'm on nat1 wireless with eircom and all seems to be running well.

if i change the MTU to 1492 as recommended above what difference will it make to me? i don't want to change a good thing
    If it works and you're happy with it, leave it! Don't fix what isn't broken as they say...

yeah i'll leave it so. i was actually having no problems with nat3 either but changed it to nat1 wireless as per the 'keep it carlow' youtube vid. i'll leave well enough alone now so :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,109 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Kensington wrote: »
    What make and model is your wireless router?

If it works and you're happy with it, leave it! Don't fix what isn't broken as they say...
    This is my wireless router: Belkin F5D7230-4

At the moment it is working with the PS3 hooked directly to the ZyXEL router, with the PSN ports forwarded. But this set up means that i have to unply the wireless router, which is a pain.

When i was trying to get it working with the Belkin router I tried putting the ps3 in the DMZ of the wireless router and it didn't work. Maybe I need to port forward from the ZyXEL Router to the Belkin wireless router and have the PS3 in the DMZ of wireless router too....maybe the PS3 wasn't able to access the ports properly becuase of some issue between the ZyXEL router and the Belkin Wireless Router.

Yes, set up your Belkin wireless router so that it gets a static IP address from your ZyXEL modem. Then forward both packet types (TCP and UDP) with the port range 0 - 65535 (ie. all possible ports) in the ZyXEL to the IP address which you have assigned to your Belkin router. Then set up your PS3 with a static IP address from the Belkin, and set this IP to be in the DMZ.

This way, your ZyXEL will forward any port access request from the internet to your Belkin router, and then the Belkin router will forward the port request to your PS3 in the DMZ.

Hope this gets it working for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

Hope one of you guys can help me here. Had set my ps3 up with a static ip address and forwarded 5 ports to it (originally cos I couldn't play RR7 online, through wireless router). Anyways everything was going grand until I went on holidays and (probably stupidly) unplugged the router. When I plugged everything back in couldn't play online again and discovered I was NAT 3 again... Oh guys I'm sick... Static ip seems grand and ports still open (even added the ones given above) and am still NAT 3... Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated. Cheers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JugGe7CCuNU

follow that and change to nat1 with wireless and ya should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

Cheers superweld, took a few tries, problems with the username/password, but now works a treat...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

look i dont know what all the fuss is about open this port and that, the ps3 is made to play out of the box , no matter what game you play , if there is a problem theres patches and sorts sent out to fix it , opening ports is leaving your self open to attack , oh nat 1 nat 2 theres no diference ingame play , im on nat 2 no problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

@Kensington - do you have an idea what could be going wrong here:

I have been playing MP for the past 2 weeks by simple plugging my PS3 directly to the Chorus Cable modem (bypassing the router). Using this solution I can create a custom game which I host and play against others no problem.

However, when I try to accept an invite / play a Quick Match, I can see the pre-match screen with the game settings/other player names etc., but when the game starts I lose connection (game session no longer exists message).

I thought by connecting the PS3 directly yo the modem that I would have no problems connecting to, as well as hosting games..?

Any advice would be appreciated

jAH

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭colmos

Cheers lads, this info is brilliant. Since I used it, I havent had any problems whatsoever with connection losses.
    I was NAT Type 3 and Im NAT Type 1 now.
    The only problem now is when everyone else loses their connection, and you're the only person left playing online!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mcgooch

GTA4 multiplayer on PS3 is a mess as far as I'm concerned. I spent hours the other night configuring my PS3 and router, eventually getting NAT type 1 and still I couldn't get it working. Everytime I started a game I would get to the lobby for a few seconds only to be booted out with the "the connection to one or more players has been lost" error message. It's so frustrating as I can connect to multiplayer games on the XBOX version without any issue. Thing is all my friends have PS3 so I'd really like to get it up and running. After all the messing around I've done with my router I'm more convinced than ever it's not my fault at all and an issue with the game servers. All my other PS3 games work online without any problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 wefordian

Thanks Guys,
    I followed the instructions to change to Nat type 1 and all is good in the online world of GTA!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 longtimer

superweld wrote: »

What username and password did you use for pppoe? Im using broadband1 and when i enter that in it cannot find IP address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

How do I get the PPoE? I'm Eircom btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭nealmac

I used "eircom" for PPoE, and "password" for password and it worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 wefordian

I'm on Eircom broadband and I used "eircom" for PPoE username, and "password" for password and it worked also. If this doesn't work for you ring your service provider and ask them what it is.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Does putting the PS3 in DMZ affect other PC's on the same network, using same router? I'm assuming all ports get forwarded to the PS3, leaving nothing for other PCs...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 longtimer

Hi,

Over the last few weeks I've been trying to get my ps3 online. In between me tearing my hair out and crying myself to sleep I've managed to make some progress (I think).

I've given it a static IP address (I Think) and I'm now trying to forward the ports. I have looked at every guide and watched every youtube video and I still have not got it to work.

Now im finally forwarding the posts and they're all excepted except one.

The ports I'm trying to forward are as follows:

TCP 80
    TCP 443
    TCP 5223
    UDP 3478
    UDP 3479
    UDP 3658

I tried forwarding them and at the save and restart screen on my router (I'm with eircom and am using a Netopia Cayman 3300) and when i tried saving I got this message:

"Config Mode v1.2
    ERROR:
    Pinhole element ps3a has conflict with internal
    Web-TCP service 80,
    Either change pinhole port or redirect Web Port.
    Validation did not pass!"

so i deleted the TCP 80 one just to see if that was the only problem and it was, the rest saved fine. I went back in and added the TCP 80 one again and I got the same error.

On my ps3 if I look at my network settings the look like this:

IP: 10.0.1.23 (static IP I think)
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    default router: 10.0.1.1
    Primary DNS: 10.0.1.1
    seconday:0.0.0.0
    MAC address 00:15:C16:SE:36
    MTU: 1500
    Proxy server: do not use
    Upnp: Not available
    NAT Type: NAT type 3

I know I have to change NAT type to 2.

This is driving me ****ing insane, if anybody can shed some light on this god forbidden thing I'll name one of my children after them.

Thanks in advance for any help at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

longtimer wrote: »
    Hi,

Over the last few weeks I've been trying to get my ps3 online. In between me tearing my hair out and crying myself to sleep I've managed to make some progress (I think).

I've given it a static IP address (I Think) and I'm now trying to forward the ports. I have looked at every guide and watched every youtube video and I still have not got it to work.

Now im finally forwarding the posts and they're all excepted except one.

The ports I'm trying to forward are as follows:

TCP 80
    TCP 443
    TCP 5223
    UDP 3478
    UDP 3479
    UDP 3658

I tried forwarding them and at the save and restart screen on my router (I'm with eircom and am using a Netopia Cayman 3300) and when i tried saving I got this message:

"Config Mode v1.2
    ERROR:
    Pinhole element ps3a has conflict with internal
    Web-TCP service 80,
    Either change pinhole port or redirect Web Port.
    Validation did not pass!"

so i deleted the TCP 80 one just to see if that was the only problem and it was, the rest saved fine. I went back in and added the TCP 80 one again and I got the same error.

On my ps3 if I look at my network settings the look like this:

IP: 10.0.1.23 (static IP I think)
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    default router: 10.0.1.1
    Primary DNS: 10.0.1.1
    seconday:0.0.0.0
    MAC address 00:15:C16:SE:36
    MTU: 1500
    Proxy server: do not use
    Upnp: Not available
    NAT Type: NAT type 3

I know I have to change NAT type to 2.

This is driving me ****ing insane, if anybody can shed some light on this god forbidden thing I'll name one of my children after them.

Thanks in advance for any help at all.
    why dont yea just hardwire the dam thing and be done with it , since ive done it ive had no probs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 BohsMan94

Hi lads,

I have a UTV internet provider with a Netopia router and i can't seem to change my NAT type connection at all, Anybody els having this problem or can someone fix it for me,

BohsMan94
    :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

in b4 zombie thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,017 ✭✭✭✭Penn

BohsMan94

Please refrain from dragging up old threads. If a thread you are going to post in is more than 3 months old, please start a new thread.

Thread Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement