Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New broadband report argues the case for 1 Gbits/sec into every home

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Chapter II: Why America Needs Big Broadband Connectivity

WTF has this got to do with broadband in Ireland? This is boards.ie not boards.us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 wilmotsitwell

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    WTF has this got to do with broadband in Ireland? This is boards.ie not boards.us

While the quality and price of broadband in the US is probably even worse than that prevailing in Ireland (if such is possible), the general thinking in this document applies everywhere – which you would realise if you bothered to read it!

Alex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

I'd be happy with 128Kbs and pings less than 1000 which is what i get from Ice Broadbands supposedly 3Mbs connection.

One step at a time.

Where has Ireland Offline gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I sent this report to Eamonn Ryan hoping he would read it as the parralells with Ireland are spooky. Deregulation not working, falling far behind countries with lower and more dispersed population e.g. Norway. Wayyyy behind Japan and Asia where fibre is king. No real plan - Eamon Ryans pledge is to have 1mb in every household by 2009. On your bike Eamonn you useless luddite.

Needless to say he did not respond.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

to be honest, alot of America has poorer Broadband coverage,,,,wireless, adsl, cable etc then Ireland,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Cabaal wrote: »
    to be honest, alot of America has poorer Broadband coverage,,,,wireless, adsl, cable etc then Ireland,

Well they have a better excuse....let's compare like with like....

irelandusbu4.jpg

I'm afraid anybody defending Ireland's telecommunications downfalls has their head in the clouds....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

egan007 wrote: »
    Well they have a better excuse....let's compare like with like

You funny! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

LA3G wrote: »
    You funny! :D

Just for you :) ....

irelandus2hi2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Cutepape banned for warez talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Just for you :) ....

irelandus2hi2.jpg

That gets an actual LOL from me. People are looking :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

its going to take time to have better bb in ireland,ireland was slow in getting bb specially with likes of eircom in charge,so no point looking at 4mb and 8mb speed which are these speeds any ways as any who in broadband will telll you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Well they have a better excuse....let's compare like with like....

irelandusbu4.jpg

I'm afraid anybody defending Ireland's telecommunications downfalls has their head in the clouds....

++

Why lagg behind other countries, constanty using older technologies. The argument that we need to take one small step at a time makes no sense to me. Why not take one big step and be leading the forfront of BB in the world? Of course its down to money, and I am being idealistic I suppose. During our boom years, the government should have been looking into getting a whole load of backhaul into the country. But , alas they did not.

Look at Greenland the population is tiny, but they have quite a decent amount of pipeage going into the country as they realise it can provide a great deal of business.

We should have been one of the main gateways to America but we dropped the ball there.

/crazytired rant.

Advertisement