Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Designated driver

• 12-05-2008 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I heard that if you are the designated driver a pub has to, or does, give you soft drinks on the house.
    Wondering if this is true,
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I heard that if you are the designated driver a pub has to, or does, give you soft drinks on the house.
    Wondering if this is true,
    thanks.

Where did you hear about this?

Alot of pubs are running this scheme. But it isn't an obligation.
    Sometimes they can ask to see your keys because of chancers looking for free mixers.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Alot of pubs are running this scheme. But it isn't an obligation.

That what i was thinking. Its a gud idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Shewhomustbe...

I live in Longford and my partner's in a band so when we go to Dublin for a gig I'm 99.9% of the time going to be driving home.
    Last time he mentioned that a friend had said to him if you're the designated driver you can get soft drinks on the house.
    I thought this only ran at Christmas but if its all year long it'd be brill.
    Would there be a way to find out which pubs do offer this service?

I live in Longford and my partner's in a band so when we go to Dublin for a gig I'm 99.9% of the time going to be driving home.
    Last time he mentioned that a friend had said to him if you're the designated driver you can get soft drinks on the house.
    I thought this only ran at Christmas but if its all year long it'd be brill.
    Would there be a way to find out which pubs do offer this service?

I think that it would only work if there were a few people with you because they want to keep people there as long as possible so they might offer free drinks to the driver to keepem happy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Sometimes they can ask to see your keys because of chancers looking for free mixers.

Can't see how that would help. Just about everyone has keys, whether they're driving or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Is this the Coca Cola designated drivers' scheme?

The list of pubs is here:

http://www.ccbi.ie/des_driver/

Depending on where you are in the country there can be very few participating pubs.

Anyway, it's over until mid-July.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Lol, janey, I was about to post the exact same link! Steal my thunder, why don't you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

LOL Not to make you feel worse or anything but....I stopped mid-post to make a 5 minute phonecall! :p

Has anyone actually taken up the offer or free soft drinks? I'm always afraid to ask in case I get laughed at or something!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've been out with people a couple of times who've used it. I only ever thought of it once, but I was too scared to ask too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement