Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help - can't reverse around a corner

Options
  • 12-05-2008 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭

I have a real problem with the reverse around a corner. No matter what I do I end up reversing around the corner but way out in the middle of the road. Do I lock too late? When should I lock? Help would be appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭April Raine

Thanks, I was just looking at your site. It is an excellent site

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You might not have to "lock" hard to get around a corner, this does depend on the corner though, but it sounds to me like you're waiting for your moment to lock the steering and not gradually making your way around the corner if you get me?
    You should be looking both out your rear window and checking your left mirror, you shuld be able to gauge your distance between the curb from you left mirror, so as not to end up in the middle of the road.
    A great tip i got from my instructor was to do this manoeuvre in two turns of the wheel, one to get you around, smoothly and gradually turning the wheel, and one turn to straighten up.
    It's a difficult one to describe, if you have any more questions fire away!
    Good Luck!

You might not have to "lock" hard to get around a corner, this does depend on the corner though, but it sounds to me like you're waiting for your moment to lock the steering and not gradually making your way around the corner if you get me?
    You should be looking both out your rear window and checking your left mirror, you shuld be able to gauge your distance between the curb from you left mirror, so as not to end up in the middle of the road.
    A great tip i got from my instructor was to do this manoeuvre in two turns of the wheel, one to get you around, smoothly and gradually turning the wheel, and one turn to straighten up.
    It's a difficult one to describe, if you have any more questions fire away!
    Good Luck!
    I think you are right that i was waiting for moment to lock as distinct from gradually going round.But, thinking back to todays practice, I do not seem to be able to see the corner or judge when to start gradually making my way around??

I will try the gradually making my way around tomorrow. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭j1979p

The key is to go slowly enough so you can judge your position in the mirror and act accordingly. If you do it well, you won't have to turn the steering wheel very much after the first turn of it (depends on what type of turn/bend it it is however).

• Advertisement

I do not seem to be able to see the corner or judge when to start gradually making my way around??

This will depend on the length of your car and positioning of your mirrors etc, but for me, it was when i could just see the turn in the curb at the bottom of my mirror, ie it was at the rear wheels, and i would begin to turn. This manoeuvre is a tricky one, and it mainly just takes practise, it might take a good few tries to get right but you'll get there!
    Good Luck!

Thanks all. i did it very well this morning. I found a car park where there were double yellow lines and used them as a guide and ended up just the right distance and straight. Who says double yellow lines are bad?

If anyone has any further advice please do post. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭do you love it?

i couldnt do it at all.
    i was sooo nervous about gettin asked to do it.
    and i did it in the test perfect.
    went home to my dad to show him how good i am at it after the test and i couldnt do it again.

my advice for you ...PRAY! worked for me!

ALSO.....there are alot of people parking their cars on the coners of test route so people cant reverse around the corner so pray for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

there are alot of people parking their cars on the coners of test route so people cant reverse around the corner so pray for that!
    :confused: The examiner will simply find a corner which is free!

• Advertisement

:confused: The examiner will simply find a corner which is free!
    actually my friend just had his and they couldnt find a corner which was safe to reverse around.
    reverse around a corner is one of the 3 important manouvers the other 2 being turnabout and hill start.
    they may only ask one of the 3.
    if the time permits the can be asked to do all 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

actually my friend just had his and they couldnt find a corner which was safe to reverse around
    Fair enough - the only one I thought they sometimes leave out was the hill start (in flat areas).

haha yeah i got a hillstart....well he said it was a hill but it didnt look like one.
    look more like a flat road to me

Fair enough - the only one I thought they sometimes leave out was the hill start (in flat areas).

And they'll leave it out if you encounter any kind of hill during your test, ie, without actually pulling in, stopping and completing the manoeuvre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

get a friend to follow you around on your test and park on any corner that you shape up to reverse around. BAM!

Advertisement