Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travel Itinerary...

• 12-05-2008 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

My Boyfriend and i are planning to go away for the year in Jan with this itinerary:

Dublin>
    Bejjing>
    Tokyo>
    Bangkok>
    Austrailia>
    New Zealand>
    Fiiji>
    Hawaii>
    LA>
    New York>
    Dublin

Stopping in OZ for 6 months to work....

Are we right to start in Asia or should we start in the states, we want to travel on the money we have and work in australia and get a bit more for the rest of the stops.

How much do you reckon we would need for living on? forgetting the flights.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Ritchi

I'm planning on doing something similar in September. Starting in Delhi, making my way to Bankgok(unsuer how yet), travelling about SE Asia for a while, then down to Oz, to work for 6 months. Off to New Zealand and then to Santiago in Chile, and making our way up to Mexico and flying home from there. I'm unsure of how much either. The RTW ticket is about 2200, and I'd like to have about 10 grand besides that, obviously hoping to top that up in Oz, but I also have no problems having a few loans.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Ritchi wrote: »
    I'm planning on doing something similar in September. Starting in Delhi, making my way to Bankgok(unsuer how yet)

If you can make your way to Chennai you can then fly to Singapore for E80, less if you book well ahead, then train to Bangkok. Totally overland will wreck your head, and you might get a bullet hole in it along the way.

To the OP, that sounds like the main rtw ticket USIT sell. Everyone else seems to be doing it that way so it mustn't be too bad. I did it the otehr way around. Went South America - Aus - Asia. I liked my way cause Im now in the cheapest place at the end of my trip. The only thing was I was so paranoid about budget at the start I didn't do as much as I should have in SA. If you do it the other way I'd say you'd be freaking out even more in North America. So I think the Asia first way is best, then spend whatever you have left in America. It'll also give you a good reason to save in Aus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Gaz

dory wrote: »
    If you can make your way to Chennai you can then fly to Singapore for E80, less if you book well ahead, then train to Bangkok. Totally overland will wreck your head, and you might get a bullet hole in it along the way.

Overland is more a less impossible at the moment, Burma is off limits since the cyclone and Tibet is off limits since the march riots ... you will need to fly.

Gaz wrote: »
    Overland is more a less impossible at the moment, Burma is off limits since the cyclone and Tibet is off limits since the march riots ... you will need to fly.

Thanks. Yeah, I've gathered as much. I can get a flight to Chennai with AirDeccan for 56 quid and on to Bangkok for 80 with Tiger Airways. I'd have preferred to go over land, so I'm not missing out on things, but I guess this is the best we can do. Thanks for the help.

dory wrote: »

Actually, has anyone been to Chennai(I think it used to be Madras)? Know if it's worth spending a few days, or should I move straight on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lello

thanks guys,

ive been speaking to a few friends of mine and they think that im mad doing so much in a year and that i should cut some places out... they reakon that i will be too exhausted to appreciate everything if i put too much in..........

any advice....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

If I were you Lello, I'd keep the itinerary as is but I'd cut out Hawaii, LA and NY - these locations will be such a downer after seeing Asia, and they will absolutely KILL your budget!

Why not leave NY for another time? Easy to take a 4 or 5 day trip some spring time ... Hawaii, can't be better than Fiji for sure and I've never heard anything good about LA.

Then you could do this:

Dublin>
    Bejjing>
    Tokyo>
    Bangkok>
    Austrailia>
    New Zealand>
    Fiiji> - return flight from NZ to Fiji
    NZ - > BKK (for some cheap shopping and beaching before you head home)
    Bkk - Dublin.

That way, your budget would stretch a LOT further - and you'd have more time to spend in Asia - which is by FAR the best place :) Oh, and if you got sick of NZ or OZ, you could head back to BKK early and take a cheap return flight to Malaysia (or somewhere) and get another country in before going home.

It means you're a lot more flexible and have the option of doing some cheap travelling on your way home - not sure if you're particularly interested in the states, but most people just stop there because they think they have to to complete the flight 'loop' whereas infact you can go and come back ......After spending so much time in a westernised country (Oz), it will be nice to go somewhere 'different' - chilled and cheap! Also, it's very unlikely you'll save much, or anything while working in Australia, the wages for casual work are low, and you'll be doing so much drinking and sightseeing in your spare time, you probably won't end up with much left over!

Oh Edit: Very important! When you're coming back next Dec/Jan-it'll be bloody freezing in N.America but lovely hot and sunny in Thailand! :) I know which I'd choose :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Gaz

Ritchi wrote: »
    Actually, has anyone been to Chennai(I think it used to be Madras)? Know if it's worth spending a few days, or should I move straight on?

Chennai aint great but I did manage to find a Subway there ! After about 2 months of Delhi belly and some very suspect food .... the subway was like a gift from God.

Whats your intended route in India ? personally I would skip Chennai and stick to the north , Darjeeling was by far my favourite place , followed by Agra, Calcutta and Mumbai .... and of course Goa but Goa didnt really feel like India. Goa is great place to unwind at the end though.
    Also Kerala in the south is fantastic.

Gaz wrote: »
    Chennai aint great but I did manage to find a Subway there ! After about 2 months of Delhi belly and some very suspect food .... the subway was like a gift from God.

Whats your intended route in India ? personally I would skip Chennai and stick to the north , Darjeeling was by far my favourite place , followed by Agra, Calcutta and Mumbai .... and of course Goa but Goa didnt really feel like India. Goa is great place to unwind at the end though.
    Also Kerala in the south is fantastic.

To be honest we don't have much of a plan in India, wanted to stop off in Delhi on the way to Thailand, was only using Chennai as it had cheap flights to Bangkok. I'll look up flights from one of the places you mentioned instead. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

I can highly recommend Northern India once you've seen the Taj in Agra. Kashmir is absolutely awesome as is the region of Ladakk where the Manali to Leh 'highway' is well worth a trip. You can also visit McLeod Ganj near Dharmsala, if you are lucky and the Dalai Lama is in town then you can go and have an audience with him which is a cool experience.

• Advertisement
Advertisement