Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice: Wedged Saddle Post

Options
  • 12-05-2008 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi,

I recently got my bike serviced, 'Diamond Back Sorrento SE' as I had not used it for a while, and wish to get back into training.

I have noticed when going to change the saddle post that the existing one is totally wedged in. I have tried WD40, and brute force, but wary a little as I do not want to damage the frame.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on removing the saddle post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Like an oracle from beyond the grave, it's Sheldon to the rescue :)

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would go with the WD40 again. How did you apply it? just at the top? If you remove the saddle part you might be able to get it down into the frame, then tip it upside down so it gets in at the other end too. Also heating and cooling will cause expansion and contraction which help penetration of the oils and generally loosen things up a bit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

This is a link to the repair page of the Harris Cyclery website dealing with stuck seat posts.
    Hope it helps.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

Edit: I'm too slow!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭-Blanco-

The same thing happend me last month...I removed the bottom bracket and sprayed loads of WD40 up the frame and let it sit upsidedown. Left that over night. Then I got an old saddle and put that on the seatpost, and with the help of a long steel bar, a friend holding the bike and some force I eventually got the post out of the frame. I was really worried about damaging the bike itself but it turned out fine..except for the saddle:p

Good luck it's damn annoying alright...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

Isn't WD40 a de-greaser? And you're supposed to put grease on your seatpost before you put it in. So I don't know if WD40 is the best option... I dunno tho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

-Blanco- wrote: »
    The same thing happend me last month...I removed the bottom bracket and sprayed loads of WD40 up the frame and let it sit upsidedown. Left that over night. Then I got an old saddle and put that on the seatpost, and with the help of a long steel bar, a friend holding the bike and some force I eventually got the post out of the frame. I was really worried about damaging the bike itself but it turned out fine..except for the saddle:p

Good luck it's damn annoying alright...

I dunno if it's a good idea to put wd40 on the inside of a frame?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jimmy2180

Excellent thanks for the advise, will give that website a shot and see how things go. Will let ye know how I got on. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

tywy wrote: »
    Isn't WD40 a de-greaser?

no. it's mineral oil and solvent. it's very thin (low surface tension/viscosity?) so it's pretty good at penetrating ceased parts.
    penexpers wrote: »
    I dunno if it's a good idea to put wd40 on the inside of a frame?

won't do any harm. some people recommend putting some heavier oil inside a steel frame and rolling it around to protect against internal corrosion. wd40 would do this too, but to a lesser degree.

Advertisement