Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problem with Ford Ka

Options
  • 12-05-2008 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

The girlfriends car is giving a bit of trouble, its a 97 ford ka 1.3 litre engine, The revs on the car seem to have a mind of there own, the engine revs up on its own without the accelerater being pressed.

It doesn't do it on idle though so it probably isn't the idle control valve??

happens when she takes her foot off the accelerater while driving

wondering if anyone would know what to check that might be causing it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Does it definately rev with her foot OFF the gas. My focus was revving with the foot ON the gas while loosing power.

The clutch was going.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Does it only do this on idle, or does it do it while driving too?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Does it definately rev with her foot OFF the gas. My focus was revving with the foot ON the gas while loosing power.

The clutch was going.

She says its when she takes her foot off the gas

crosstownk wrote: »
    Does it only do this on idle, or does it do it while driving too?

She initaially said it happened on idle but since has retracted that :rolleyes: and says it only happens while driving and doesn't happen at all on idle

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If it happens while driving it could be a number of things, from the clutch to a fuel injection problem. Best off getting it looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

the gf's sisters Ka had the same problem. the gf's da said it ended having something to do with the brake system. Makes absolutely no sense to me as I can't see the link, maybe in the brake servo etc. Either way it is a common Ka problem (even if I have the wrong cause!) so any good mechanic should sort it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

Must be a common fault in Ka's, my GF had a Ka and it had same thing, it was a speed sensor that was gone.
    Goto a Ford garage, think it cost about 100e

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Deicida

My mother has a ka and i was driving it for a while and i noticed once or twice that happend but i worked out what it is the exact same year and litre engine as your girlfrinds and what was happening was say the shoes i was wearing were big boot thingys ya know them ugg boots and sometimes when i pushed the break it hit the accellorator too cos the pedals are so close together like super close! plus in my own car they are much further apart and wasnt 100 per cent used to it!

just another possibility

Advertisement