Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specialized Tricross Sport, any opinions??

Options
  • 12-05-2008 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Firstly, i'm going to have to admit that i'm a novice but i'm keen to get into road cycling in a big way, I'm looking at the following road bike:

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=86033

It can do some 'off-roading' also which for me just means that you can cycle on poor irish roads with relative comfort. Has anyone got one or know anything about it? I think its either going to be this bike of the Specialized Allez Sport as follows:

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=86027

Can anyone guide me, as i said i’m going to be doing road cycling. Have read some decent reviews on the above bikes and was just looking for some opinions.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭sxt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

as sxt has said, the Focus Mares Cross will get you a higher spec for the same cash, and the Focus bikes are excellent -have one myself in fact!

You could also look at the Kona Jake, as they're good bikes too -you should be able to test ride one in Cycleogical, but reckon it'd be cheaper to buy from the link.

I would also say that from your original post, you don't seem to want to go off road on these, just want something that is good on Irish roads... if that's the case, any road bike will be fine -that's what most of us have, with out problem. There's many threads on here about road bikes, but I'll pimp my own, the Focus Variado Expert :)

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭hollywoodhoppy

WOW, thanks guys, that Focus Variado Expert is a thing of beauty, but is the Focus Mares Cross better than the Specialized Allez?

WOW, thanks guys, that Focus Variado Expert is a thing of beauty, but is the Focus Mares Cross better than the Specialized Allez?

Better is a very subjective term, and it's not really comparing like with like between the Mares Cross and the Allez, as one is a cyclocross bike, and the other a road bike. The difference between the two is that there's more clearance between tyre and forks on a cross bike, allowing for wider, knobbly tyres (which are grippier, but slower than the tyres you'll find on the Allez, but you can always change tyres!). Also, the Mares Cross has V-Brakes, which are more usual on mountain bikes and some of the commuting bikes out there -they work about as well as cantilevers, which is what you'll find on the Allez.

In terms of pure spec, you get a better groupset and components on the Mares Cross (Shimano 105 vs Tiagra), so based on that and my love of Focus, I'd possibly get the Mares Cross and stick slicks on it!

If considering the Allez, look at the cheaper Focus road bikes too, as you'll generally get a better spec for the price (try the Culebro or the Variado (not expert))

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

Hi Hoppy, I wouldn't be any sort of road racer, but got the single cross (singlespeed version of tricross) specifically for commute.
    As such it excels - space for mudguards, good brakes, fixing points for panniers etc. Sooo light compared to my old tourer.
    Don't like the knobbly tyres much, but will be getting gator skins soon.
    Got it in cyclelogical so you get a tryout there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

they work about as well as cantilevers, which is what you'll find on the Allez.

I would have thought the Allez would have short reach road brakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 keeffe2001

as sxt has said, the Focus Mares Cross will get you a higher spec for the same cash, and the Focus bikes are excellent -have one myself in fact!

thanks, I'm thinking of upgrading my Trek FX Hybrid commuter and this is a definite contender

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The Allez has calipers, I often mix up cantilever and caliper when typing myself although I DO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE, honest.

Caliper (on the Allez):
    BR7800F.jpg

Cantilever (on the Tricross):
    avid-shorty-6-brake.jpg

V-Brake (direct-pull cantilever - on the Focus Mares Cross):
    sd7brake.jpg

I have extensive experience of cantis with road STI levers and in my opinion they are _dreadful_ - I am planning on switching to Mini-Vs like on the Focus above (note normal V-Brakes are not compatible with road levers.)

EDIT: Looking at this review of the Tricross (which is generally excellent) they specifically single out the brakes as "woeful." The Mares Cross gets the same rating from Bike Radar BTW- braking there is "powerful" but the modulation is not "up to speed".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I'm not familiar with the Focus models - but the Specialized Tricross and Allez are very different bikes. The Tricross is a lot shorter, with a more upright position. It's a versatile bike - large gear range, can take mudguards, racks, can go offroad, take fat tyres etc. However, if you want a road bike for riding fast on the road, doing races etc. then you're better off with a proper road bike like the Allez (or equivalent). It'll be lighter with much sharper handling and more appropriate gearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭hobojojo

i was in your situation about 3 months ago, looking to buy a racer but not knowing a great deal about them, so here is my advice

specialized are a very good make and its pretty hard to go wrong buying one of their bikes. i wouldn't worry about needing a bike that can go off road to survive irish roads, you'll find that roads around the country/dublin and wicklow mountains are actually quite good, its just city roads that are poor. you'd be surprised how much hard ground racer wheels can take despite their delicate appearance. although in saying that, you wouldn't want to be going up any kerbs or through major pot holes.

i asked my friends who were into cycling for advice and decided that the best thing for me to do with my budget of €1100 was to buy a bike that was better than lower entry level (as i wanted a bike that would stand to me as i progress as a cyclist) but that was last years model. if you can find last years model in the sale section of an online shop then you'll make a good saving. perhaps even get a better bike than you could afford if you were buying this years model

i was lucky enough to get an '07 bianchi via nirone with carbon fork and carbon seat stays and campagnolo veloce group set from evanscycles.com for £775. that was reduced from £850. additionally i saved as the exchance rate against the british pound is so favorable presently. this exact bike was unavailable in irish shops but any comparable ones i saw around the dublin cycling shops were around the €1400 - €1500 mark, whereas mine was €1020 delivered.

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=70438

if you are purchasing online, buy from wiggle or evans as they assemble your bike for you and then send it to you ready to ride. chain reaction cycles, from what i have heard (correct me if im wrong), send you the bike as they get it, i.e. completely unassembled in the original factory box. myself, i found buying from evans great as they assemble the bike professionally, test it and then box it. they even leave the wheels on which i don't think wiggle do (the box is massive). the only thing evans do to make the bike fit in the box is turn the handlebar sideways. so once your bike is delivered, all you do is straighten the handlebars, adjust the saddle and hit the road. easy.
    this was really helpful as i would have had no idea how to fit the derailleurs, shifters, brake cables, etc.... thought in the last 3 months iv become addicted to cycling and now think i would be in a better position to assemble a bike. i hit the dublin/wicklow mountains around 4/5 times a week. you're defo onto a winner getting into road cycling.

on an aside, my bike actually came (mistakenly???) with wheels that are a lot better than the ones listed in the description on evans' website, so i was well chuffed when i opened the box. also, bikes on sale tend to only be available in extreme sizes, either very small or very large. i was lucky that the my bianchi was available in 55cm when i went to purchase it, but i see that now they only have a 61cm frame size left.

you should scout around the road bike sale section of evans and see if you spot a bike you want, though if you are dead set on a certain road bike don't compromise what you want in order to save money. but its always worth a look. especially if you find what you're looking for. when i was buying my bike i recall there being a few specialized racers in the sale section that i was half considering now with i think of it actually.

best of luck buying your bike. hopefully you get it soon and can enjoy this amazing weather we're having

• Advertisement

I have bought from Wiggle and CRC. Wiggle do leave the wheels on, literally all you need to do is attach the bars. It is also a massive box, I didn't even have to adjust the seatpost! Everything was adjusted perfectly. CRC ship the bike in the factory box and there is a bit of assembly and adjustment required, could be worth it if the bike is a deal though.

EDIT: Given that the Kinesis specifically warns the bike comes in kit form, I suspect it would be more than just a bit of assembly though, you would be putting the whole thing together from scratch, like buying a frameset. Generally bikes from CRC do come mostly assembled but not tuned/adjusted.

lads, thanks so much for all the replies, i'm just in work now so gonna look into it in more detail later, i think i may just go and get an out and out road bike in that case from what i've bee reading, that Focus Variado Expert is gorgeous in my opinion. Been looking at Bargain Sections alright and have noticed the extreme sizing alright.

I have one silly question, do the likes of Wiggle and Evans actually sent you pedals? I dont have any cycling shoes so will be wearing runners for first while, i'm kinda confused by this.

I think now it could be between the Allez and the Focus Variado expert, HMMM, decisions decisions!!

Actually has anyone got any experience of Pinnacle bikes such as this one?

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=86855

just saw it there now

Most road bikes excepting the very entry level aren't sold with pedals (as there are different systems.) All the same Wiggle sent basic plastic pedals (and a pedal wrench, and a multi-tool.) These were fine for around the block but you would probably be better off getting metal ones even if you aren't planning on going clipless (which you really should, it is well worth it.)

lads, has anyone got the Canyon Roadlite, i really like the look of it in fairness, really good looking!

Thinking about getting these shoes as well if anyone can guide me?

http://www.canyon.com/_en/accessories/articles.html?ac=212
    SHIMANO SH-R 085

and these pedals

http://www.canyon.com/_en/accessories/articles.html?ac=195
    SHIMANO ULTEGRA PD 6620

will they work together? really like that canyon bike and read in another post that Tiny Explosions got one, found it by accident!

will they work together? really like that canyon bike and read in another post that Tiny Explosions got one, found it by accident!

I got the Variado Expert instead of the Canyon, partly because it was going to take 4 weeks for the Canyon to be delivered!

Also, the Variado didn't have pedals with it by default, and no pedal spanner, but I did order the Ultegra SPD-SL pedals from Wiggle, and they're great.

Apologies for the confusion between cantilever and caliper brakes!

ah right very good, thanks for your help. Think i'm going to order that canyon, they say it will be here on 23rd i think, think i can wait for the long term benefits. Do i need those extra cleats? i'm so clueless equipment wise, will the shoes i have shown above be compatible do you know or do you have any recommendations?

Thanks again

If you are just going to be using the bike for spins, those shoes and pedals are fine, although I would consider Look pedals instead, simply as they seem to be more popular (so you could try out other people's bikes, etc.)

If you would be using it in a situation where you need to walk about off the bike for any length of time I would suggest trying SPD (MTB) pedals instead (road shoes are not really walkable in at all.)

A pair of cleats come with the pedals. You can buy extra ones seperately for additional pairs of shoes or when your old ones wear down.

Also, you'll get those shoes and pedals a bit cheaper from Wiggle with their discounts and free delivery too:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360031351
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360027339

Thanks for coming back to me, so presuming i go for the SPD pedals, will those Shimano shoes still work?

Looking at these cleats on the Canyon website

http://www.canyon.com/_en/accessories/articles.html?ac=194

SHIMANO PD-M 545

or any recommendations of a combinaion of shoes and pedals from that site that are compatible?

• Advertisement

blorg wrote: »
    Also, you'll get those shoes and pedals a bit cheaper from Wiggle with their discounts and free delivery too:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360031351
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360027339

thanks for that, that clears everthing up...legend

No, if you get SPD pedals you would need to get mountain bike shoes rather than road shoes. The cleat attachment mechanism is different. I got Specialized BG Expert MTB Shoes recently which I got a good deal on and have a stiff carbon sole.

If getting SPDs I wouldn't get the PDM 545s, they are downhill MTB pedals with a platform and would be heavy as hell. You would be looking for something in the style of the 520s (entry level) up to the 970s (top of the range but probably overpriced.)

Shoe-wise it can be risky buying on line, you would want to make sure there is a good and easy return policy (I bought the above shoes online but I know my size in Specialized shoes.)

If going with SPDs and buying online, I recommend bikeplus.co.uk who do Specialized MTB shoes and have a good shoe and pedal deal- if buying shoes you can get Power Play Force pedals for £20. These are a good light pedal in my experience and £20 is certainly a good deal.

Thanks for clearing that up, think i'm going to go for the Specialized Sport Road Shoes as below

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360032440

They'll get me started anyway

Ok lads, so i went to buy the Canyon this morning, but they are sold out with no restocking in sight for the season. This leads me onto the following:

Was in Cycleogical today and saw this Ridley Compact reduced from €1499 to €1199

http://www.ridley-bikes.com/2008/lang/en/bikes/CompactBlue505E/index.htm

or i could go back to my original proposal of the Focus Variado Expert for €1170

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360032369&n=Focus%20Variado%20Expert%202008

Hmmm, what ye think lads, ye that knows more than me???

Ok lads, so i went to buy the Canyon this morning, but they are sold out with no restocking in sight for the season. This leads me onto the following:

Was in Cycleogical today and saw this Ridley Compact reduced from €1499 to €1199

http://www.ridley-bikes.com/2008/lang/en/bikes/CompactBlue505E/index.htm

or i could go back to my original proposal of the Focus Variado Expert for €1170

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360032369&n=Focus%20Variado%20Expert%202008

Hmmm, what ye think lads, ye that knows more than me???

Variado all the way, but again it's cos I have one and LOVE it!

Advertisement