Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardware shops in New York, suggestions.

Options
  • 12-05-2008 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭

Weird thread, I know.

My parents are going to New York in a few weeks and I want to get rid of a few hundred dollars I have lying around.

Does anyone know of any cheap hardware shops in the New York area?

Also what hardware could I likely get on the cheap?
    Im mostly looking to replace my X1900XT (not sure with what), but if processors are a bargain I could go from 6600 to quad core.

Suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Theres tons of electronic stores there.. Like there would be about 5 on one street selling all sorts.. Now I never saw any computer ones but im sure there is some there or there could be computer stuff in all of them I just never bothered to look.. they all look dodgy..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

JR and B&H would be the two main ones I know. I'd be wary about getting parents to pick up and bring back something like a gfx card though, they can be very fragile. Plus oftentimes the best deals for computer equipment are online so you might'nt do as well as you'd think.

Cameras, ipods and iphones on the other hand are another story, small and easy to carry and excellent value over the prices here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I got my sis who lives in NY to buy somethin in Radioshack for me, She txted me where she was @ the time, i found her nearest store online, the price and could tell her how many the store had in stock at the time & in my reply txt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Hmm, I checked a few stores and hardwareversand still seems to be cheaper.

I dont know how Im going to get rid of these stupid dollars now, I have a new camera and I have no reason to replace my Zen Vision M.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Bring me home rockband on the Ps3 and i'll match euro to dollar!

but seriously
    Laptop?
    Monitor?

PS3?

Buy nintendo DS's those things are as good as money. The cost $150 , you should get €120 for them, make sure to get the crimson one as its not out here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

Microcentre
    The address is below, the place is class its like hardwareversand with aisles and they have a section for watercooling

655 Merrick Avenue
    Westbury, NY 11590

Bit of a journey but used the one in Boston and got great prices regardless of exchange rates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

You could get something delivered to them from www.BestBuy.com. I used it when I was in LA in December and it was great. Took a couple of days. Not sure if they're in NY but presume they are. I tried to use NewEgg.com but you need a credit card issued in the USA to use them. :(

At least this way you can see what you're buying and would have a better idea. I didn't find radio shack had much when I was over there. It was either Best Buy or Frys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I came across a few computer stores down the bottom of Broadway (off it) in the financial district when I was there last week. I'm sure a bit of googling would get address for you.. Also a few around the villages.

A note about the DS's over there, you can get them as cheap as $120 and games are about half the price over there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

buy an 8800gt they're cheap as chips these days

Advertisement