Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Clarehall

Options
  • 12-05-2008 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Anyone else notice out of date meats etc being sold off in Tesco Clarehall's bargain 'yellow' sticker coolers? Obviously this is deliberate. Should these not have been binned? I reported this to the Health & Safety Authority and it stopped for a while but it's started again.

Ever notice how long frozen food etc are left in their trolleys before being packed at night? A staff member friend recently informed me that food left at the till is often there for hours before being returned to a fridge or freezer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I think it's fine to sell it past the 'display by' date, but not after the 'use by' date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

eth0_ wrote: »
    I think it's fine to sell it past the 'display by' date, but not after the 'use by' date.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

From working there (different branch), the yellow-sticker reduced stuff should be all in-date, it's thrown out once the sell-by date passes. The 'oldest' stuff that should ever be there is stuff going off today.

As for frozen/chilled food that accumulates at the checkouts, it's supposed to be put back immediately. If not, it sometimes makes its way into trolleys with the ambient / non food stuff. When that happens the appropriate reponse was to dump it.
    I'd be surprised if anyone was doing otherwise, unless they're morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭WIZWEB

Cheers for replies.

I've used other Tesco branches while living in different parts of Ireland/UK and found them fine with dates. Some of the food I saw in Tesco Clarehall was past it's 'use by' date and at times had the dates covered with the yellow stickers!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Having been in other branches especially down the country the Tesco's seem so much better organised and stocked. Over the weekend i was in one and was so strange to walk down any aisle and everything fully stocked and neatly laid out, its seemed so strange after familiar with Clarehall,, anyone one think the same?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

davton wrote: »
    Having been in other branches especially down the country the Tesco's seem so much better organised and stocked. Over the weekend i was in one and was so strange to walk down any aisle and everything fully stocked and neatly laid out, its seemed so strange after familiar with Clarehall,, anyone one think the same?

Isn't it the largest Tesco in Ireland? It's certainly a flagship store and possibly Tesco Ireland HQ. I could be wrong on the HQ part.

You'd certainly think this store would be the best of all. I've noticed nothing wrong anyway, seems fine to me.
    Now Tesco Artaine Castle, there's a rant for another thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Seems like most of the bigger Tescos such as Clarehall, Clearwater and Maynooth as the untidiest though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Seems like most of the bigger Tescos such as Clarehall, Clearwater and Maynooth as the untidiest though.

Yes i will second this, know those three. The ones i was in around the country i can think of hand were of similar size tho, not as big as clarehall but of same layout, well the mirror of it eg the magazines were on the left, then electronics etc identical apart from the actual items on the shelfs being in a mess. It was aesthetically pleasing too the eye which i extremely rarely to see in clarehall. maybe about 5 in the morning as stuck usually arrives at 10pm then a few hours to stock,

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

How long out of date would this stuff be..?

Dub13 wrote: »
    How long out of date would this stuff be..?

Three days the longest. Don't want to come across as a total moan but I've recently seen meats left in the 'bargain' veg section with no cold storage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

If its red meat such a a nice fillet / sirloin steak, buy it, leave it in the fridge for another 2 weeks til its almost brown. Take it out, bring it to room temperature and then cook it.

It'll be the best damn steak you have ever had.

Just ask any chef!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Never buy meat from the supermarket. support your local butcher.

Was in the Clarehall Tesco a few hours ago again and came across some more out of date meat (not steak!) which had 'use by' 14/05/08.

Only discovered it when I was showing 'customer service' where the yoghurt's are that they overcharged me for tonight. Must admit I am gone a bit sad and make it a habit of checking my receipts each time I shop there. Usually about one in every four visits or so I'm overcharged and I just love running up to 'customer service' to claim those goodies free then!

Back to tonight's story...
    I asked to see a manager who looked like he is almost old enough to shave. He should have been in his bed at that time (12.30am). I gave him the riot act on Health & Safety and 'out of date' food being sold constantly in that Tesco (Did it diplomatically enough as I didn't want him to start crying). There was a bin beside this dodgy food and I requested he throw it into it. Instead he insisted on putting the food back up on the shelf and insisted someone will look after it later!!!

If only I didn't leave my grocery shopping to mad hours and made use of my local Lidl which is only down the road and brill when I make the effort.

For all you bargain hunters I'm sure Tesco will knock off another few cents from these same items today. Don't forget to pick up some toilet roll too while your there....

*ZING* :-)

Well said, sir, well said.

You should complain to Tesco HO, preferably in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

spadder wrote: »

"Local butcher"? What's that?

Maybe where you live there are local butchers but in south Dublin suburbs where I live there are very few left.

-My 'local butcher' is at least a couple of miles away!

-Might write to Tesco HQ but am afraid Clarehall management staff might delegate blame down to innocent employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Youve never been in the Phibsborough one..

Youve never been in the Phibsborough one..
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Thanks for the warnings, was up in Clarehall for the first time late last night and made sure to check the dates on all fruit&veg - nearly bought about 3 different things that were to be used by yesterday or the day before.

+1 on the untidiness - won't be heading back up there in a hurry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

spadder wrote: »

this is probably worthy of its own thread and i dont want to takeover this one with the debate but.......IF supermarkets give better value then a butcher....people should shop in the supermarket.....its business not charity and if they cant compete then they should close down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I don't go to that store anymore. There's something funny with the lighting and my missus always ends up with a headache. She then gives that headache to me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Zombie thread - closed

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement