Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a apartment in a hotel?

Options
  • 12-05-2008 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

Have seen this in spain ... rooms in hotels for sale ... cant remember d price .. but i remember it was cheap ... good sized room in hotel in built up (but not rough) location .. all facilities etc ....

has anyone ever done this ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

you can do this in most places now I believe (have seen in germany and england as well) - seems similar to timeshare whereby you are entitled to use the room for an agreed amount of days per year....how and if profits on the room are shared for the rest of the time i do not know.....think I;m off to google to try and find out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Problem is how do you pay for an upgrade of the rooms in a few years and what happens when it's at the end of it's useful life and needs to be redeveloped. A lot of room means a lot of people who want to have a say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭hel_hev

i thought it would be like buying a apartment in a block ,,, only ur buying in a hotel ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Im not familiar with this concept myself. What happens if the hotel runs into financial difficulties or is in breach of health and safety laws etc?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

faceman wrote: »
    Im not familiar with this concept myself. What happens if the hotel runs into financial difficulties or is in breach of health and safety laws etc?

Thats where I assume your solicitor advises you on the legal implications of purchasing something like this.

I've seen deals like this in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

Not for me. Id rather just rent the room in whatever hotel i want in the world, than have to go to the same hotel for my holidays every year and pay through the arse for the pleasure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I believe ex-Taoiseach Albert Reynolds lives in an apartment in the Four Seasons in Ballsbridge. If it's good enough for our leaders....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

BendiBus wrote: »
    I believe ex-Taoiseach Albert Reynolds lives in an apartment in the Four Seasons in Ballsbridge. If it's good enough for our leaders....
    I think that may be more habitable than a 30m2 hotel room designed for temporary occupation in summer months only.

Not for me. Id rather just rent the room in whatever hotel i want in the world, than have to go to the same hotel for my holidays every year and pay through the arse for the pleasure.

well i would get more time there , then i would on a two wk holiday , d company i work for also has offices near there , if there was a english speaking job , i would like to transfer ...

so not so much a "holiday" home , would be hopefully somewhere i could stay for longer ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

hel_hev wrote: »
    well i would get more time there , then i would on a two wk holiday , d company i work for also has offices near there , if there was a english speaking job , i would like to transfer ...

so not so much a "holiday" home , would be hopefully somewhere i could stay for longer ! :)

Be careful though. I think most of these only let you have the place for 2 - 4 weeks a year. the rest of the time its used by the hotel on a profit "sharing" basis.

• Advertisement

when i was in spain , got talking to a bloke who lived in the hotel all year round as he "owned" the room ... he had a bar there ...

so i thought he owned the room , the same way you would own a room in a block of apartments ?

anyway i dont have to get a room in a hotel ... just been googling ....
    its standard in spain to have a swimming pool etc in a apartment block ..
    so i guess i dont need to buy in a hotel , just a regular "spanish" apartment block ...

i thought hotel was a good idea though ?

has anyone here every done this ?

Advertisement