Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisbon Treaty yes or no ? advice on bet

Options
  • 12-05-2008 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭

hey guys havent really been keeping up with this but iv heard from a few people that "yes" is gona be the out come , the reason i am asking tihs is im thinking of putting a few euros down on 3-1 that will "yes" will win.

just wondering if anyone thinks this bet is a good idea and that "yes" will acctually win.
    ?

thanks andy.

edit: also why cant i add a poll?

go for it? 22 votes

ya might as well
    0% 0 votes
    stay away with a 10ft pole !
    63% 14 votes
    where am i ?
    36% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

JebusCrust, you had me foaming at the wallet at 3/1 'Yes'.
    Just checked Powers and 2/7 Yes is their price.
    I think Yes will win but it could be very close, NiceOne was 1/2 Yes in 2001 but got turned over.

P.S. If you do know anywhere going 3/1 Yes can you let us know where (but PM me a few hours before you post it here tyvm :pac:).

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ya, 3/1 would be a suicidal price to give out unless Mugabe was running the election results.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

2/7 is a sure thing as well.

Will be Free money, it's a cert to be Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

See if powers are paying double result. If it did happen to be no first time round, the repeat vote will defo bring up a yes result!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I'd say Yes is almost cert. There will be a big push for yes in the run up and I don't hear any great No campaign. Odds are a bit prohibitive though, at least with my bank balance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 kildare paddy

no

A month is a long time in politics.
    Powers now go 8/13 No, 6/5 Yes so those who saw Yes as a certainty 3 weeks ago, me included, have an interesting conundrum.

Personally I'd be inclinded to think that with the 5 main parties and the farmers organisations all behind Yes that it must be a shoo-in, but the No campaign seems to winning the battle of the airwaves. However the likes of FG and FF (especially) are past masters at 'getting the vote out'.

Anyone any thoughts on this 'exciting' event purely from a betting viewpoint (no political opinions please).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Powers now go 8/13 No, 6/5 Yes so those who saw Yes as a certainty 3 weeks ago, me included, have an interesting conundrum.

Personally I'd be inclinded to think that with the 5 main parties and the farmers organisations all behind Yes that it must be a shoo-in, but the No campaign seems to winning the battle of the airwaves. However the likes of FG and FF (especially) are past masters at 'getting the vote out'.

Anyone any thoughts on this 'exciting' event purely from a betting viewpoint (no political opinions please).
    With so many big groups lobbying behind the favourite it is hard to see past it.

Not a dead cert but the nearest thing to one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This in my opinion has a NO written all over it and has been like this since the start.
    There are far too many people out there who are very wary of voting yes to something hey havent a clue about. The Yes campaign have been unable thus far to point out any tangible benefits to use in voting yes.
    Kippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

I'm totally in the NO camp as anyone who frequents the politics board will know but even I think it's going to be a Yes vote. I'd imagine around 55%-45% in favour of yes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

Mark my words, that on Friday, the main political parties will get a real shock to find the outcome a resounding NO vote. People are not blind fools who will vote yes to something they have grave concerns about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

1/3 yes 2/1 no with PaddyPowers right now. Quite a large mark up from them.

Yes will probably just pull through. I wouldn't back the yes or no at those type of prices.

ruskin wrote: »
    Mark my words, that on Friday, the main political parties will get a real shock to find the outcome a resounding NO vote. People are not blind fools who will vote yes to something they have grave concerns about.

LOL at all that. No offence but going by your previous posts in other threads thats what you want to happen as opposed to any rational analysis.

Back on topic.
    Looking at the odds now its 1/3 Yes, 2/1 No. Looks like I missed an opportunity to have both sides backed in a 70% book when Yes went odds against last week.
    Hopefully there'll be another one of these in a few years as they seem to be a great punting scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

It's funny, I hardly no anyone voting yes but I liken that to the way nobody admits to voting Fianna Fail, that voting booth is a very private place. Keep your money in your pocket on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ramanujan

i hope you took this at 3-1!!
    Amazing value. My fair price would be about evens at the mo i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

LOL at all that. No offence but going by your previous posts in other threads thats what you want to happen as opposed to any rational analysis.

Back on topic.
    Looking at the odds now its 1/3 Yes, 2/1 No. Looks like I missed an opportunity to have both sides backed in a 70% book when Yes went odds against last week.
    Hopefully there'll be another one of these in a few years as they seem to be a great punting scheme.

Well if no wins you may have that chance!

Sorry, couldn't resist!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Culchie wrote: »

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I'd say Yes is almost cert. There will be a big push for yes in the run up and I don't hear any great No campaign. Odds are a bit prohibitive though, at least with my bank balance.
    With so many big groups lobbying behind the favourite it is hard to see past it.

Not a dead cert but the nearest thing to one.

Back on topic.

Not looking good for you guys, "dead cert" my a$$. I bet on a no and covered my bets on betfair at 60+/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,386 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ship it

57856.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Even last night Yes was available to lay as low as 1.34 on betfair

Shocking lack of judgement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

*Insert aftertime*

I am so great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Yeah, fair cop. Hate when others do it too.

EDIT: Should point out I didn't get involved in the market either way. I had no judgement at all, so double boo to me

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭askU

quote]

It sure is!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Culchie wrote: »

LMAO

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭askU

chdpoker wrote: »
    LMAO
    :confused:
    LMAO = ?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

LMAO = Laugh my ass off

Advertisement