Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

DoubleDin headunit with good Irish GPS coverage?

Options
  • 12-05-2008 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

I have an E46 M3 with the tape version of the head unit - really looks out of place!
    I was thinking of putting in one of the all-in-one doubledin headunits like the AVIC-D3 - but what's the coverage like for Ireland? Not too worried about the cities - I travel the rural roads mainly.

What unit would give me the best coverage?

Anyone have the OE version?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭SecureSounds

If your car has the radio cassette is it not single DIN ?

Alpine have the Blackbird system which is very good, A portable that can be docked to your in dash single or double din and used from it's touch screen, coverage is as good as any and can easily be updated.

Kenwood also have nice units based on Garmin Navis, good coverage also but not quite as reliable.

You could also check out Pioneer and Clarion systems.

Keep in mind to get the best from a proper in car Navi it has to be connected to the speed pulse and reverse signal on your car.

As for the OE ones your better off without them, they are usually outdated and very expensive to update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

Something with recent Navteq maps, and you'll be alright. A mate has a Kenwood system, cost him quite a bit too, but the latest Navteq maps available for it are several years old.

My advice is narrow it down to Navteq maps and then for each system try to find out how recent they are. Email the manufacturer etc.

Good OE systems are usually a cut above the rest as (aswell as being connected to the VSS) they use gyroscopes and perform dead-reckoning, ie they'll work without satellites for short periods of time and are very very accurate. Whether or not they're worth the extra is another question, as the maps are rarely cutting edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Would it not be possible to update the maps?

VH wrote: »
    Good OE systems are usually a cut above the rest as (aswell as being connected to the VSS) they use gyroscopes and perform dead-reckoning, ie they'll work without satellites for short periods of time and are very very accurate. Whether or not they're worth the extra is another question, as the maps are rarely cutting edge.

OE car navigation systems are far behind after market...car manufacturers do their deals and buy their products long before their cars hit the road..aftermarket systems however are the latest models available.

As for dead reckoning it's mainly down to speed pulse so you could be right if you are mainly taking about portable navi such as Tom Tom and Garmin etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

It's single DIN alright SecureSounds but you can relocate the heater controls and there are some companies selling bezels to fit the new unit. Doesn't seem like the easiest of jobs but a lot of people have done it. The footwell heater vent controls need to be modified etc.

I looked at Alpine but it says only partial coverage of Ireland.

I'll start emailing the manufacturers alright - thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Stick with OEM, and try sourcing updates for the maps that come with the model that fits your motor. Will also enhance the asthetics, and support future selling of the car.

That was the main reason I was thinking about the OE retrofit neuromancer - very expensive though.

Just looking around this morning and Kenwood and Pioneer have released new units.

The Pioneer looks real good -
    AVIC-F900BT

I was going to get the bezel here -
    doubledin

Looking at their site the Kenwood has the mapping coverage I need - City Navigator 9 based.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

OE car navigation systems are far behind after market...
    Talking technically, vs pocket satnav and most aftermarket headunits.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

love to see this if you go for it,

to be fair tho, a garmin mobile unit makes a lot more sense

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    love to see this if you go for it,

to be fair tho, a garmin mobile unit makes a lot more sense

Thats the beauty of the Blackbird, you get both, but for your main car you don't have to have something stuck to your windscreen.

yep but double dins suit the bmw better, if not you look like you have a dodgy aftermarket HU :(

If your car has the radio cassette is it not single DIN ?

Alpine have the Blackbird system which is very good, A portable that can be docked to your in dash single or double din and used from it's touch screen, coverage is as good as any and can easily be updated.

Kenwood also have nice units based on Garmin Navis, good coverage also but not quite as reliable.

You could also check out Pioneer and Clarion systems.

Keep in mind to get the best from a proper in car Navi it has to be connected to the speed pulse and reverse signal on your car.

As for the OE ones your better off without them, they are usually outdated and very expensive to update.

ah sorry i didnt get what the blackbird was, it seems to get awful reviews however? does it work as a HU aswell?

Double din or single din Alpine DVD monitors will work with blackbird, so you have your portable that you can use in any vehicle but when you are in your main vehicle you dock the blackbird ( in the glovebox for example ) and your in car DVD multimedia system then becomes your navi unit.

As for looking like a dodgy aftermarket headunit :D Not half as ugly as what the factory puts in and it performs better.

Kenwood unit is nice but they do give a lot of grief.

have you seen the reviews of the blackbird :rolleyes:

Cyrus wrote: »
    have you seen the reviews of the blackbird :rolleyes:

Some.

If you get the chance you should try one out, when docked to a multimedia station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Monsoon26

Hi All,

Sorry for diggin up an old post, but need some advice on this topic.
    I am looking around for a good aftermarket sat nav with mp3 player, bluetooth for my car.
    From looking around a few manufacturers online, i reckon i like the look of the Pioneer AVIC-F700BT, as its double DIN & seems to fit my car, a saab 93 (2002). I was thinking of getting it via the states to save cash, but it will only come with maps for US & Canada. Are european maps available to download / purchase?
    I can't seem to find this info on the Pioneer site.. Also, the radio frequencies seem to be the same as here 87 mhz - 107 mhz, so this should work in ireland right? Had a quick chat with guy who fits these for a living & he gave me the impression US radio wont work here! Any advice please?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

thelurcher wrote: »
    That was the main reason I was thinking about the OE retrofit neuromancer - very expensive though.

Just looking around this morning and Kenwood and Pioneer have released new units.

The Pioneer looks real good -
    AVIC-F900BT

WOW that IS stunning very OEM on both examples. Is this available over here seems to be a US model...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PIONEER-AVIC-F900BT-2-DIN-5.8%22-DVD%2FCD%2FNAV%2FBULETOOTH_W0QQitemZ190256081579QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20081002?IMSfp=TL081002003006r10134

it plays divx also swoooooooonnnn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

I have a D3 with the 2007 maps, which can be backed up. I can send you on a copy to check to see if they work on the US model before you buy it.

Mornin,

Just found out that the radio defo will not work in europe & neither will the GPS of a US model brought to europe! Firmware downloads might sort this part out? I could live without a radio.. Want it so bad !:D

P.S.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/New-Pioneer-AVIC-F700BT-TouchscreenGPS-Bluetooth_W0QQitemZ260300918744QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260300918744&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

• Advertisement

I have a D3 with the 2007 maps, which can be backed up. I can send you on a copy to check to see if they work on the US model before you buy it.

Nice one:)

Advertisement