Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girls with itchy privates.

Options
  • 13-05-2008 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭

We have 2 girls, 8 and 5, and sometimes they wake up at night complaining of an itch down there. We have had the eldest one at a few different doctors but nothing satisfactory has come out of it, bar being told to keep her sugar intake low if possible. We thought she might have an allergy but now that the second child has symptoms of it we are not so sure what the problem is.
    They would bathe a couple of times a week so its hardly a hygiene problem.
    Has anyone here any experience of this, thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Do you use a biological washing powder? This is often the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I would stop using soap or soap products. Buy some silcocks base and use this. Also they might be a bit warm during the night?

Is the problem worse when its warmer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Sounds like worms. They are contagious, but I'm surprised your GP didn't diagnose it. Obviously I'm not giving medical advice here! Its fairly common I think, and harmless, and is easily treated.

Some info here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/conditions/worms2.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Worms are found in and around the anus if a child has them.
    IF they are having itchiness in and around thier yoni ( vagina ) it could be that they are not wiping themselves properly.

Are they wiping from front to back ?
    From the utheral opening towards the anus and not the other way around ?

Does the itching happen after they have had a bath and gone to bed ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Could be washing powder...
    My cousin had this a lot when she was younger (she still is young...), used to wake up screaming crying in the middle of the night and stuff. My aunt changed her diet around a little bit and everything was grand then, dairy was her problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

finbarrk wrote: »
    We have 2 girls, 8 and 5, and sometimes they wake up at night complaining of an itch down there. We have had the eldest one at a few different doctors but nothing satisfactory has come out of it, bar being told to keep her sugar intake low if possible. We thought she might have an allergy but now that the second child has symptoms of it we are not so sure what the problem is.
    They would bathe a couple of times a week so its hardly a hygiene problem.
    Has anyone here any experience of this, thanks.

Do they wear knickers to bed? If so that could be the problem, it is much healthier to go commando at night;). Also wash all underwear and PJ's in non biological detergent and avoid fabric softener. Make sure all underwear and pj bottoms are cotton and as theadyal said make sure they know how to wipe themselves correctly. I wouldn't use any scented or soap products to wash down there either. Look in your pharmacy for canesten intimate wash, it is specially formulated to not cause irritation down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

My 6 yr old frequently complained of this. I started putting a little silcocks base in her bath at night and she has complained since..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Thanks for all the advice folks.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My 6 yr old frequently complained of this. I started putting a little silcocks base in her bath at night and she has complained since..

My mum used to put baking soda in the bath for us when we had this problem as kids. Dr said it was something to do with the PH down there changing, that the area was too acidic, so adding a Base would solve the problem. Silcocks base would probably be a better alternative to baking soda, as it's designed for use as a wash/moisturiser, but baking soda works a treat if you're stuck!

As Susannahmia said, if they could go commando it'd be better, but if not then make sure they're wearing clean 100% cotton knickers going to bed.

Advertisement