Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Cards and travelling

Options
  • 13-05-2008 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I used to have a dual ATM/Laser card with AIB but recently moved to Ulster Bank and want to ask them to upgrade me to the same type of card (I just have the standard ATM card at present).

I am going to Boston in the US in July and I think it would be good to have on me over there rather than carry a lot of cash around the place.

The thing is though, will it work over there? I've read that it depends on whether it's Maestro linked or not and even if it is coverage is patchy (so says wikipedia).

Any advice, experienced or otherwise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

i really wouldn't rely on using it in shops. will be fine in atms but you'll be charged for withdrawing in a non-euro zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Fabio wrote: »
    Hi all,

I used to have a dual ATM/Laser card with AIB but recently moved to Ulster Bank and want to ask them to upgrade me to the same type of card (I just have the standard ATM card at present).

I am going to Boston in the US in July and I think it would be good to have on me over there rather than carry a lot of cash around the place.

The thing is though, will it work over there? I've read that it depends on whether it's Maestro linked or not and even if it is coverage is patchy (so says wikipedia).

Any advice, experienced or otherwise?

Don't bet on getting one with Ulster before July. From what I heard they won't consider giving one unless the a/c is opened 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Fabio

I think they'll issue it alright but only if I can bring in a statement and stuff such as that.

They told me I was elegible for a credit card and I know I could manage one but yet stil have the fear of me putting myself into debt with it hah! And that is why I much prefer the Laser/Maestro card...I know I'd be more careful with it.

Even if I use it for ATM's in the USA I'm sure that it won't cost too much seeing as I could take out a good few bob at a time so I wouldn't be doing it too often.

Or should I trust myself with a credit card???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I think they'll issue it alright but only if I can bring in a statement and stuff such as that.

They told me I was elegible for a credit card and I know I could manage one but yet stil have the fear of me putting myself into debt with it hah! And that is why I much prefer the Laser/Maestro card...I know I'd be more careful with it.

Even if I use it for ATM's in the USA I'm sure that it won't cost too much seeing as I could take out a good few bob at a time so I wouldn't be doing it too often.

Or should I trust myself with a credit card???

I went to open an account with another bank a good few months ago. I have a staff account with BOI and wanted an account seperate from my own bank. I went to Ulster Bank PTSB, Halifax and NIB. If you search from my thread on this you will see my experience. I also have an account with AIB and didn't really want to open an account with them as I had a laser card with them already. In the end I opened up an account with my own bank because there was too much hassle regarding getting a laser card. So I'm not so sure Ulster Bank will give you one so soon. But see how it goes. Maybe you should have stayed with AIB TBH!

A credit card it not a bad idea if you plan to pay it off every month in full. Its good for buying stuff online because you have an insurance policy of sorts in case the service provider goes out of business e.g if the airline you purchased tickets with went bust you should be able to get your money back. As well as that you would avoid most of the charges associated with taking out money through an ATM machine (no cirrus / maestro charges).

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

stepbar wrote: »
    I went to open an account with another bank a good few months ago. I have a staff account with BOI and wanted an account seperate from my own bank. I went to Ulster Bank PTSB, Halifax and NIB. If you search from my thread on this you will see my experience. I also have an account with AIB and didn't really want to open an account with them as I had a laser card with them already. In the end I opened up an account with my own bank because there was too much hassle regarding getting a laser card. So I'm not so sure Ulster Bank will give you one so soon. But see how it goes. Maybe you should have stayed with AIB TBH!

A credit card it not a bad idea if you plan to pay it off every month in full. Its good for buying stuff online because you have an insurance policy of sorts in case the service provider goes out of business e.g if the airline you purchased tickets with went bust you should be able to get your money back. As well as that you would avoid most of the charges associated with taking out money through an ATM machine (no cirrus / maestro charges).

Yeah, if the card is in credit there's no fee for using the atm, whereas with cirrus it ranges from €3-€17 depending on the amount you take off. Also, the conversion rates for a credit card are better than the ones for cirrus. Most credit cards will do an emergency cash advance if your card gets stolen too. It happened to me in Oz and they western union-ed me the remaining funds on my card, which was a real help! Maybe get the credit card if UBL are offering it, so you're sure you have something for over there, you can always cancel it when you come back if you don't want to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Fabio

Is there a big charge for withdrawing from ATM's here in Ireland though using your credit card?

Or is there charge for doing the same in foreign countries?

It's tempting to get one now but I'm still afraid I'd lose the run of myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Is there a big charge for withdrawing from ATM's here in Ireland though using your credit card?

Or is there charge for doing the same in foreign countries?

It's tempting to get one now but I'm still afraid I'd lose the run of myself!

Credit card is not a laser card,,, ye:confused: Most credit cards have a cash advancement fee when withdrawing, its usually a small percentage, i think to a max charge for €1.90 but every card its slightly different, and yes extra charges for different currency zones

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Its more like a minimum of 2e with a total value of 1.5% of the euro value of the transaciton. This applies to any ATM, in Ireland or abroad unless you are in credit. Check your CC T&C for exact charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,496 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Only older visa cards charge nothing in way of commission if you withdraw your own "in credit" money abroad while newer lower interest credit cards even charge you for your own money!!! Beware!! And its not just banks in particular, its particular cards within banks!

Advertisement