Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

boots

• 13-05-2008 12:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭

hey people

Im in the RDF and an officer was telling us recently that we should buy a pair of good boots for tactics. i am thinking of buying a pair.can anyone suggest a gud pair of boots that are comfortable and waterproof cos the magnums we were issued let in every last drop.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

try this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055287445

Meindl Army Pro are my recommendation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

OP You are in My Unit!!!!

I am looking for something inexpensive yet good quality myself!!!

I will be going in on thursday to check a few places and I will tell you what I got and what I think of them.

PM Me who you are...I am the one known as Mini obviously enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Danner make good boots, even more expensive though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Some lads in my unit have some amazing looking boots, the magnums are extremely comfy from what I can tell and look cool, only problem being the water permeability.

Really does become a pain, I have some old fashioned boots I found in the Galway Army and Navy store but they are extremely heavy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Meindl Army Pro all the way, they are the best boots going.

Magnums aren't worth a w*!k for tactics, they're far too soft.

While Meindls are expensive to buy at first, you'll save money in the long run, they will last for years if treated well.

Don't worry about the soles wearing out either, they can be sent back to Meindl to be resoled and it will take some serious use for them to wear anyway.

If you do buy the Meindls, get Meindl sportwax aswell, don't bother trying to bull them. Plenty of sportwax and a light rub or polish if they need it.

Keep the Magnums for good wear " Parades & Inspections".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Sputnik

Another vote for the army pro's. I'll back up what murph says about the sportwax to, stay away from the polish unless your stuck. Also remember if you take care of them you can get them re-soled in a few years instead of having to buy a new pair of boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Hanwag and Lowa also make quality boots. Worth trying on. In my old job I sold a pair to at least one person who is on here who seems to be happy enough with the Han Wags!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭steyr fan

Miendle army pro all the way, although I am becoming a fan of Hiax.

cheers Sputnik!

Hi Neilled, seen the hanwags, they seem like a good boot have yet to meet someone who's tried a pair.

Lowas very highly rated aswell, but i don't think there is anyone selling them over here at the moment unfortunately and will lowa resole their boots?

As for the Hiax, they look the part, but they're fairly soft, not much support and they've got a very high sole, banker for twisting your ankle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

I had a pair of Mendle Army Pro's for 6 years..Used them for 3 deployments overseas and a Sniper Cse.

Although they are a great boot, they are brutal on slippery surfaces., ie, wet rocks..

• Advertisement

True I/A01 , the soles are very hard, can you were them daily in the barracks???

Anyone ever try the Lowa combats???

Think the ARW get issued them???

The Brits rate them very highly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

Lowa's are GTG..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

I had a pair of Army Pro's and then got a pair of Lowa Combats.

I personally prefer the Lowa's. The Army Pro's are a bit higher up the leg and as IA already said, absolutely ****e on slippery surfaces.

murph226 wrote: »
    cheers Sputnik!

Hi Neilled, seen the hanwags, they seem like a good boot have yet to meet someone who's tried a pair.

Lowas very highly rated aswell, but i don't think there is anyone selling them over here at the moment unfortunately and will lowa resole their boots?

As for the Hiax, they look the part, but they're fairly soft, not much support and they've got a very high sole, banker for twisting your ankle!

Call of the Wild in Sligo are definitely a Lowa stockist, they could probably get hold of them for you. Miss No Stars on here bought a pair of hanwags off me when I worked in a hiking shop and didn't come back wielding a bayonet.... I use them for civvie hillwalking as opposed to military use. Comparable to the Meindl with a slightly broader heel and a shallower toe box is the way I'd describe them. Another brand to look at are Zamberlan, a well regarded italian supplier who seem to be stocked only down towards the kerry/cork end of the country.

The sole on most of the boots in question is a Vibram unit (called the "foura" unit) so any boot repairer worth their salt will be able to get hold of them. Having said that, I personally find that by the time I've worn out the soles, I've also worn through the Goretex lining and those aren't really repairable so its time for a new pair.

The issue of slippage isn't down to Meindl/Lowa/Hanwag, but Vibram who actually produce the sole unit. Ultimately its down to compromise - a hard rubber compound means better durability but more slippage on wet rock and a softer compound means grip but shorter life.

It horses for courses really, different boots fit different feet so make sure you try all the options that are available near you, I just want to put out the fact that Meindl aren't the only boot out there.

Hi lads, anyone ever come across the Meindl performance boot??

http://www.cadetdirect.com/order1.php?pg=1554

anyone selling them in Ireland???

murph226 wrote: »
    Hi lads, anyone ever come across the Meindl performance boot??

http://www.cadetdirect.com/order1.php?pg=1554

anyone selling them in Ireland???

It looks like its just a new rebrand of the Meindl Army Pro - my bad, its not, looks like its a bit of a lower cut.

Advertisement