Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nape piercing metalworks galway :)

Options
  • 13-05-2008 4:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

WoooohHEYYY!!

i want to get a nape piercing ..ive seen one with a bar that comes out of the skin looks kwl wana get that done..is it a specific type of nape piercing? do metalworks use/do dermal anchoring , and anyone have any horror stores for me bou this type of piercing ..ive a few already scaffold,tongue,nipple,double eyebrow,etc so ive seen a fair share of what can go wrong with healing infections etc.so dont be shy with the details.lol

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Most nape piercings are pretty standard, the only difference between most is the length of the barbell (which is determined by how broad your neck is)
    The one with the bar that comes out of the skin? Maybe you are talking about a flesh staple?

Don't have a clue what metal works do, better off waiting for some galwegians to answer that for ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭chriz

just googled flesh staple thats the one looks kwl. .. beter than a normal nape piercing :) hmm wher to get it dne ?? anyone have the number for metalworks ill give em a ring and see if they do that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I wouldn't send my worst enemy to metalworks after the terrible experiences l had there, both with tattooing and piercing. Flipping naivety of me, don't be fooled by the funky decor! The only piercing l got from them that didn't fcuk up was my nostril. The tattoo artist, who last l heard from another artist, is in athlone hamburgered my tattoos, one of which is still waiting to be fixed, and I've spent a lot of money getting them rectified. I can't speak for irish ink or the new place that l heard opened since l left galway so hopefully someone else can give you advice there.

you serious...its that bad.??..ya man dne my eyebrow in metalworks before was shaking like a leaf.. scared me....got most of my piercns in ballina..bu they wouldnt go as far as surface piercing..iv heard bad stories bou irish ink with piercings..good for tats tho...i kno thers 2 new tattoo shops n galway vinnie..and a new one not sure if they do piercings etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

chriz wrote: »
    you serious...its that bad.??..ya man dne my eyebrow in metalworks before was shaking like a leaf.. scared me....got most of my piercns in ballina..bu they wouldnt go as far as surface piercing..iv heard bad stories bou irish ink with piercings..good for tats tho...i kno thers 2 new tattoo shops n galway vinnie..and a new one not sure if they do piercings etc...

It is, honestly. I wouldn't trust him to do a surface piercing at all, he can't get even basic piercings right times. Funny thing is he once tried to convince me that someone l know well (l didn't bother to mention l knew the person in question) , who specializes in surface work was on the charlie and couldn't hold a needle straight so as to make himself sound an expert even though l never heard of one person getting surface work done (info from the tattoo artist when l was considering it) the whole time l was a client there. To be frank you're better off taking a trip to one of the well known studios in Dublin or Limerick.

• Advertisement

thats fukn bad..just dien to get something done ya kno ....and limerick is well outa my way...i should go into piercing i bet id do a better job :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

The guy did a course and has certificates on the wall to prove it, he also wears a lab coat not a chance he's doing micro-dermals and he probably isn't even doing surface piercings.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

I second the above recommendation to come to Dublin for a surface piercing. Although since I only have experience of one piercer I don't know how much my advise is worth ;) But I know enough people involved with piercing on one level or another to know the bad stories, and to know that I've never heard anything but praise for the piercer I've been to, who works in Snakebite (are we allowed recommend specific studios Mods? Delete if we're not.)

He'll do surface piercings, and do them well, but he also won't just do anything you ask, just because you ask. If something is unsuitable, or a bad idea, he'll tell you, and he'll explain why. Sometimes it'll just be a warning so you have full consent to say you'd like it anyway, and he'll do it. Some things he simply won't do, as they're not safe, according to him. Dermal anchors/microdermals are one of these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Yeah fine to mention studios. Snakebite is held in very high regard here.

Dermal anchors are fine imo, theyre just more permanent piercings and are basically easy transdermals. They are safe, they're huge in the states, canada, australia and on the continent its just they're a pain in the ass to remove and if they aren't done well they're a pain to heal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

Bit off topic, but went into my piercer to get nape done and he told me not to. Said 90% chance it would last about 3 weeks. The owner was there at the time and didnt seem impressed with Sean telling me not to get it done.
    He suggested using a plastic bar.

Has anyone any experience with those?

Bear in mind i have very senstitive skin and the piercings are very hard to keep (even in the ears).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i think a lot of the regular posters in here have their napes done, or have had their napes done... mine's been in about a year now, started with metal, and it had started migrating a bit, have since put ptfe in instead of metal, and it's fine. im pretty sure there's someone here who's had it in for three ish years, but i can't remember who, now.

three years is v good...ok went to the guy in metalworks he had no bars ..so i got him to pierce my eyebrow for the second time..under a scar.from the last one growing out .he sed it would last about 3 months..i sed go ahead...and he done it arseways..not level with the otherone atall....he wont do dermals ... hes not to sure about them yet ..and didnt know what a flesh staple is...i dont just want nape with two balls ..dont like that ...the staple looks crazy ..but worred about growing out ...it wrecks my head.. on my 5th eyebrow piercing now... got 1 nasty scar to :(

ps he also told me he hadnt slept in 4 days .... after i got it done ....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

:eek:

emmm... yeah. id recommend not going back there again dude...

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Fly High

From my personal experience I would have nothing but bad things to say about metal works, it's not worth it, wait till you go outta town. They are terrible! I wouldn't go or let anyone I know go ever again... My mate did get a nape in the new place on bothermore though and I didn't go with her but she seems happy enough :)

bothermore is that in galway...?? do u have a number for the place im from mayo ..done know galway that well ..?? ....hmm irish ink for nape piercing... he dont my tattoo very well but for piercings ??? ???

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

microgirl wrote: »
    I've never heard anything but praise for the piercer I've been to, who works in Snakebite (are we allowed recommend specific studios Mods? Delete if we're not.)

He'll do surface piercings, and do them well, but he also won't just do anything you ask, just because you ask. If something is unsuitable, or a bad idea, he'll tell you, and he'll explain why. Sometimes it'll just be a warning so you have full consent to say you'd like it anyway, and he'll do it. Some things he simply won't do, as they're not safe, according to him. Dermal anchors/microdermals are one of these things.

indeed i am on my 3rd nape, got two in other places, botched big time, infected and rejected, took 9 months for one to heal up after, got the latest in snakebite and its perfect, never had one so clean and problem free. he wouldnt pierce me for months until he was confident it wouldnt reject

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ascb

from the 18 piercings ive had done by metal works ive yet to have a problem with any of them,including my nape..
    but each to their own i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ascb

p.s irish ink????
    the place was closed down for a reason,then just reopened under a new name..

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Do you know this first hand or are you just spreading rumours?
    I suspect the second. I suggest you familiar yourself with the rules, and don't do it anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭dingdong1

metalworks wrote: »
    p.s irish ink????
    the place was closed down for a reason,then just reopened under a new name..
    :rolleyes: i fixed your user name..

• Advertisement

Anybody who wants to get a piercing in Galway should go to Ceannt, get on a train and come to Dublin. Seriously Metalworks is terrible, Irish Ink uses crap jewelery and there work isn't good at all. The place on prospect hill is just bad and the guy charges stupid money and uses nickel jewelery. Snakebite, Wildcat, Connected and Bodyshock all do good work in Dublin and can do micro's/surface work for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

Snakebite, Wildcat, Connected and Bodyshock all do good work in Dublin and can do micro's/surface work for you

Sorry, bit off topic but am curious - Connected is the place on Abbey St, yes? Do they do piercings as well as tattoos?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

-lala- wrote: »
    Sorry, bit off topic but am curious - Connected is the place on Abbey St, yes? Do they do piercings as well as tattoos?

No, it's moved to temple bar now, where Zulu used to be. They do piercings as well, I've heard really good things about Marcello there.

They pierce in both locations. Everybody who works there pierces freehand style with blades as opposed to canulas so for me that puts them a step up on most places.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Casshern88

if your getting work in galway go to tattoo / g's on prospect hill andy is piercier there couldnt recomend him enoufh , delf with mostthe pierciers in galway and he is by far the best. personaly ive heard so many bad things about m.works id stay well away,

Is Andy the guy with the scars on his face? If so I'd stay well away from him. Uses nickel jewellery and tried to rip my friend off wanted €100 to stretch both of her ears from 1.6 to 2.4mm

ya sounds right , covered in tats, about 30 mm ears, well from my expieriences hes charged me 5 er for ear tapering .D

Dude im seriously skeptical about that, he really is not in it to rip people off.

He wont even do a piercing if he thinks its not suited for the persons anatomy. more than once ive got stuff there and he gave it to me for less than stated price just because im a regular at this stage. as for nickel i dont know , he uses steel jewlery what type i cant recall.

I was there when he told her how much. I asked why it would cost so much and he said he used surgical steel tapers as if that isn't the norm.

humm that does make me think twice about going back there now tbh .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Robfleming69

thats weird cause i was in g tattoo today to get my neck piercing changed and he did it for free and he stretched my ears for €5 a pop so me thinks you are spreading rumors buck...:eek:

Advertisement