Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nct - Help

Options
  • 13-05-2008 6:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hey guys, me again, well as ya know im a lazy ****er, I am just getting around to acctually doing my nct again. Okay so I got the lambda and new exhaust, the car has now PASSED on emissions, now the only thing that is wrong is the '' BRAKE IMBALANCE '', especially with the '' PARKING BRAKE ''. The imbalance is a big '' 82% ''. Which is bad I suppose, bring it over to the mechanic thursday - But lads any ideas on what exactly it is. Think im going to be riddled like €€€€€€ ??

Any Advice would be welcome - Thanks Lads. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Brake imbalance and parking brake means that when the handbrake is applied the difference in force needed to rotate one back wheel compared to the other is 85%. They should be both near enough the same.

Several reasons for it -- worn out brake shoes, dust build up in drums, sticking cable or siezed mechanism on one side, fluid leaking from a footbrake cylinder and getting into the drum. None of those are major problems or particularly difficult to deal with, so shouldn't be expensive.

If the same difference exists when the footbrake is applied, you have potentially dangerous brakes that could, in bad road conditions, send to into a very exciting skid. That's why the NCT is very picky on the subject and why the NCT is a good thing I reckon. You wouldn't have known about the fault without the test. Best of luck with the next attempt--polish up a patch of the windscreen to carry the pass disk:D

Advertisement