Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing Toilet for tiling

Options
  • 13-05-2008 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am getting some tiling done soon and i was wondering how much of a big job is it to remove a toilet. I'm fairly handy at the DIY and was thinking of having a go at it myself.

Rgds
    Tony

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

Not that difficult to be honest, I've done it myself (I just consider myself to be a competent DIYer).

1. you'll have to isolate the water supply, most probably from the mains (rather than the header tank). You'll have to keep the water off until you're finished, unless you can blank the incoming pipe.

2. drain the cistern. Your cistern could be 'close coupled' cconnected to the pan, so it might have to be moved as well.

3. the pan will be screwed to the floor, so make sure you can turn the screws before you do anything.

4. when you unscrew the pan you'll have to disconnect the waste pipe. There will be some water in the pan u-bend, so be prepared for some spillage. The waste pipe is normally a 'push fit' so you shouldn't have any problems. Make sure you clean the sealing surfaces when you're putting it all back togethere (so you don't get a leak).

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

all the above and make sure you put a temporary seal over the waste pipe, cause the smell is dog ruff

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

thanks for the help lads

hopefully my next post wont be "best way to clean up a flood"

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

Also when you put the toilet back the water connection will be a little higher than the pipe. Height of the tiles etc. You can get small extensions to take care of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

Well the toilet is out, was fairly easy in the end I would have been gutted if i had paid someone to do this and then it ended up being that easy. It going to be fun putting it back in having to drill through tiles and then through the concrete so that i can screw down the toilet and also drilling new holes for the cistern as the toilet will now be raised about half an inch. The floods may yet appear:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

if the soil pipe comes from the wall as opposed to floor it might be worth getting an "offset pan connector (offset multiwick)" as it might cause strain on the old one if its at an angle. in fact it might be worth replacing the multiwick either way as the rubbers in these can become brittle if there in for any decent length of time
    anyway im goin to stop talking sh*te if you excuse the pun! :D

Advertisement