Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need advice on tomatoe plants

Options
  • 13-05-2008 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭

hi ive grown some tomatoe plants from seeds there about 2 inches in height now ,there still in there small pots, i need some advice on when to plant them out of there pots, do i still leave them were they are , would a make shift green house give them a better start, also how long will they take to fruit, im really happy with there progress, another bargan from lidils.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Aeneas

almanu wrote: »
    hi ive grown some tomatoe plants from seeds there about 2 inches in height now ,there still in there small pots, i need some advice on when to plant them out of there pots, do i still leave them were they are , would a make shift green house give them a better start, also how long will they take to fruit, im really happy with there progress, another bargan from lidils.

The normal advice is to plant on tomato plants when the yellow flowers begin to form. For plants sown in early March this would be about two months later, in early May. At that point they will be six to eight inches high. Yours are a bit later but they would probably do as well in your greenhouse as indoors now that the weather has warmed up and the sun is shining - unless you are in a cool area with low nightime temperatures. Plants should be yielding fruit about four months after sowing - ie for my plants sown on 8 March and put into the polytunnel on 6 May I would expect first fruits in early July. Later sown plants can catch up surprisingly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

hey almanu,

im no expert but have been grwing tomatoes a few years now and hope my advice will help you.

Tomatoes plants are very easy to grow as very little work is needed. The plant itself will grow very quickly, leaves becoming broad and shooting out at 90degrees from the stem. Now, the most important part of leaves, is to remove what called the side shoots. these will appear at nearly every single leaf on a plant. they grow at 45 degree angles and need to be nipped out. small wee green side shoots, just snap them out, this will probably stop anymore growing there again, but some might regrow.

these are small plants sucking energy from the main plant. if some get big enough, they can be removed and planted in good peat soil and may survive and grow into full plants too!!!

they will love to grow in a grow bag or in the ground , well watered, a bit of shelter but in a sunny location. tomatoes love support. get some babboo canes and wire and tie the stem to it, not too tight. i grow mine in the greenhouse and trail them up wire from a peg in the ground at their base. they grow very quickly indeed. water at least every todays, and when fruits appear later in the summer, feed with a good tomato food every week also, or as recommened by the manufacturer.

in the greenhouse atm are red pear, ildi, cherry, tigerella and sweet million cherry (all tomatoes varieties) + jalapeno, chilli, peppers, lettuce, onion

meant to say also, once your plant is good and tall, about 5 foot if possible, and has lots of good fruit on it, lots of sets of tomatoes and starting to ripen, chop the plant right at the top, clean off and this will stop it growing. now the plant has all the energy to ripen the fruits. some leaves can be shortened off also, chop off the lower ones, all the light to get to the back plants and bobs ur uncle. sweet red fruit!!

greenhousemay.jpg

greenhouse.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

thanx mate thats very informitive , looking forward to them fruiting now, ive got some lovley cherry tree,s fruiting atm aswell oh along with some apples , chinese cabbage red cabbage carrots beets scallions , i also have a large array of corriander chives parsley, its all very exciting im new to all this , just got in to it last year, i breed fish and i was building a new nursery so to make use of were the old pond was i decided to grow my own , just cant wait to have a meal totally sustained from my back yard, thanx for the advice much apreciated.

Advertisement