Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curse of the Squeak !

Options
  • 13-05-2008 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to get rid of an annoying squeak in my bike coming from the drivetrain but it's surprisingly hard for me to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from. It only happens while I'm pedaling and it "feels" like it's coming from the bottom bracket or crankarm area but I'm really not sure.

It's funny, If I lubricate my chain (white lightning), the noise seems to go away for a day or two but then comes back as annoying as ever ! I usually just give my chain a quick wipe with a rag and then lubricate.
    Should I give the whole thing a proper clean or is there something else I should do ?
    Make sure everything is tightened up properly ?

thanks

davej

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Could be jockey wheels in the derailler. Give em a good spray and if the squeak goes, take off the jockey wheels, clean em and grease em.

They can produce the most godawful squeaking noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Could be loose nut (s) in your chainset that connect the crank arm to the rings. Also make sure your cranks are tightened to the BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Is it a squeak? Or is it more like a creak?

I ask because I was trying to locate a squeak for ages last year and eventually I realised what it was: the rubber on the sole of one of my shoes rubbing off one of the cranks! (If I hadn't been using toe straps, it probably wouldn't have happened, I reckon.)
    davej wrote: »
    I'm trying to get rid of an annoying squeak in my bike coming from the drivetrain but it's surprisingly hard for me to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from. It only happens while I'm pedaling and it "feels" like it's coming from the bottom bracket or crankarm area but I'm really not sure.

It's funny, If I lubricate my chain (white lightning), the noise seems to go away for a day or two but then comes back as annoying as ever ! I usually just give my chain a quick wipe with a rag and then lubricate.
    Should I give the whole thing a proper clean or is there something else I should do ?
    Make sure everything is tightened up properly ?

thanks

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

I'm pretty sure it's not my shoes, though I will double check this. The fact that when I lubricate the chain, it seems to go away for a day or two suggests that it could be the jockey wheels as Verb suggests.

To be honest I haven't been very meticulous in investigating it so far, but I finally cracked yesterday evening on my cycle home from work !

davej

Advertisement