Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moviestar.ie anyone had problems?

Options
  • 13-05-2008 9:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

hiya,

just wondering has anyone had any probs with this company recently? I used to think they were excellent but lately Im not so sure. Im signed up for 2 DVDs at a time and they keep sending me only one despite there being over 30 movies in my queue. Ive emailed them and they sorted it and then it happened again last week. I emailed them again and this time Ive got no reply after 5 days. Im thinking of cancelling my subscription as Im paying for a service Im not receiving:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 moody cow!

I cancelled my account as they were only sending out the movies from the back of my list.. and only one at a time.. (same as you i subscribed for two), i too complained and they said that they were upgrading me.. i didnt see anything happening.. so i cancelled.
    by the way there is a company called clickscreen.com , an english firm who have their irish HQ in Blackrock, i have just had the free trial from them and they seem very good with a nice selection:p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I switched from screenclick back to moviestar because screenclick were taking ages delivering, they did say it was the post dispute cause it took 2 weeks on one occasion, but now moviestar is gone real slow send somthing back on a thursday they should have on friday but can be the following friday by time anything comes back. I used to have it on the monday. Is an post fu*king up their business?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

moody cow! wrote: »
    by the way there is a company called clickscreen.com , an english firm who have their irish HQ in Blackrock, i have just had the free trial from them and they seem very good with a nice selection:p

think you mean ScreenClick.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Yeah I finally got an email off them today after reminding them yesterday that they still hadnt dealt with my complaint. He gave me one weeks free subscription which I suppose is fair enough.
    Moody Cow- Im in the same boat, they seem always to be sending movies at the back of the Q, very frustrating when you are hoping for specific movies to come. And we waited the best part of 2 months for The Wind that shakes the Barley to arrive.

I'll give them another chance but if they mess up again i'll also be cancelling the account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭cbyrne

I gave up on moviestar.ie after about 6 months subscription. I never used to get anything from the top of the list unless it was a disc off a TV box set or something. they suggested increasing my wish list but then I would end up getting DVDs I'd picked about 4 or 5 weeks previously (generally from bottom of list) which I couldn't remember what the movie was going to be about..
    I then shortened my list to the movies I wanted to see i.e. generally only about 5-10 in the list at any one time but I was waiting ages for DVDs then.
    It may appeal initially as good value, but at the the end of day you can't beat going to Xtravision on the nite you feel like watching a movie and picking the one you want to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 linx

I had problems with moviestar from the start took up their trial offer, box set of discs were sent out of order got the same disc twice , then the said we hadnt returned one , which they later found and apologised for. In all it was more trouble than it was worth so canclled before the trial was up unsubscribed from there mailing list, regularly get e mails from them that go into my junk mail folder, asking me to sign up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Just an update on this. After they had given me a free week for the hassle I decided to give them another go.
    Yet again they kept sending out one movie at a time despite paying for two. This time I threw in the towel and cancelled my account. On their website they even offer you a free 2 weeks just before you click to cancel but even that wasn't persuading me at that late stage.
    It seems this company acknowledges complaints, give away a free week and then does nothing to rectify the original complaint. Not Recommended:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭staple

I've been using them for 6 months and found them very good throughout. Movies usually sent by return of post; no quibble when I reported a movie lost. Wide selection. I'm signed up for 3 at a time, and watch 3 a week and consider it good value (2 or 3 euro a movie).
    As someone said, you don't know what you're going to get and I can see how that would be annoying. Honestly, I think the order of the queue and length of time movies are on your queue is pretty much ignored. Personally, I have a long back log of movies I've never seen/ haven't seen in ages and I want to see all 20-30 movies in my queue; and when you have 3 at a time there's usually one of them you're in the mood for. Also, loads of times I've gone to the store and wasted time trying to pick something, or come out empty handed because there's nothing there I want to see.
    Not sure how Moviestar compares to other such services, but I think there's a lot to be said for the service by post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Shatner

Yeah I use Moviestar and the only problem I have is with An Post (no collections from my local post box after 7pm on Friday until the following Monday morning - this means that any movies watched/returned over the weekend will not get to moviestar.ie until Tuesday. This slows down the cycle considerably. Other than that, it's a great service. It's the 'long tail' effect that allows you to get movies that you have not got a hope in hell of getting in Xtravision/Chartbusters. If it's new releases you want, I'm sure Xtravision has 100 copies of the Dark Knight. "The Battle of Algiers" and "Chinatown" just arrived in the post for me. Haven't seen either, and I don't reckon I'll find a copy of either in my local xtravision hiding behind one of a dozen copies of Norbit. I used to buy DVDs before so I could watch them - now I just use moviestar.

I just wish An Post would start delivering on Saturdays!

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Seems moviestar have just been bought by Screenclick??? Got an email today to say I must log into screenclick from here on in in order to get my movies. HAve a read;

Hi *****,

First of all, a very Happy New Year from everyone at Moviestar.

Secondly, we've got some big news. The Moviestar service is now being fulfilled by Screenclick.com. This is a good news for you, as you will receive an even better service and wider choice of movies on DVD and Blu-ray.

In short, what this means for you is:

* Even more movies to choose from
    * No change in price - you will remain on your existing package
    * You don't have to do anything, except to log in at screenclick.com to choose your movies from now on
    * Post your Moviestar discs back to Moviestar as you normally would
    * From Tuesday 5th January, your discs will be sent by Screenclick.com

We will do everything we can for a seamless changeover - you don't have to do anything. If you have questions, please contact customer support.

You will soon receive an email informing you that you should login to screenclick.com for your account details from now on, instead of moviestar.ie. You will find all of your details there, including your rental queue.

We hope that you'll find the new service even better than before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Aren't moviestar owned by the two brothers who keep getting caught for conning people in the UK with misleading premium rate competitions? And who have been renting out retail DVDs on moviestar? Etc.?

Searching for moviestar on thepost.ie confirms the above is true.

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2006/09/10/story17108.asp
    http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2006/08/27/story16686.asp

When I heard they are getting into a "legit" business, I was very suspicious. Good to see screenclick have bought them, as I could not give people like them my money!

I was on the free trial until Feb with Moviestar. I already had an account with screenclick and had had a trial with them. What happens now? I can't log into screenclick with my moviestar details.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

I was on the free trial until Feb with Moviestar. I already had an account with screenclick and had had a trial with them. What happens now? I can't log into screenclick with my moviestar details.

I am in the same situation as yourself used to be with Screenclick now on free Moviestar Trial. I got an email from screenclick with new password.
    I dont know what to do now as I left screenclick after been with them for about 18 months. I cancelled as I was frustrated with the service.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Got the same email, was able to log into the screenclick website.

Wasn't the most informative email...
    * No change in price - you will remain on your existing package

Hope not - the '2 discs at a time' package is a euro cheaper with screenclick than what i was paying moviestar.
    * Even more movies to choose from

Not yet. My queue dropped from 79 to 14. Quick browse around the (slow) screenclick site hasn't helped me fill the queue back up - if the selection doesn't increase quickly i'll be cancelling.

Rover, what problems were you having with the screenclick service?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Disgusted. Switched from screenclick to moviestar as s.c. had become a disaster in terms of delivery. moviestar were much better.

Is there an alternative service?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Scamp-

I'm a bit put out by the whole thing.
    I never recieved an email from Moviestar or any notification. Plus I'm not really happy that my account details are just handed over to another company willy nilly. And the helpline number is in England too.

Am I being overly suspicious?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Iamhere

Scamp- wrote: »
    I'm a bit put out by the whole thing.
    I never recieved an email from Moviestar or any notification. Plus I'm not really happy that my account details are just handed over to another company willy nilly. And the helpline number is in England too.

Am I being overly suspicious?

Dont think you are, im in the same boat, was with s.c. before, wasn't impressed, moviestar was much better and now overnight im a s.c. customer again, they have my new credit card number without my permission...

• Registered Users Posts: 17 corkpilot

yeah, I just posted a new thread yesterday about this, but I guess this is the place to be.

I was a customer of screenclick for about 3 months and wasn't at all impressed and switched to moviestar about 3 months ago. They were very good as far as I was concerned. My movies took a day to get there and a day to get back as opposed to 2 or 3 each way with screenclick and I usually got a movie much higher up my list. Not to mention, in my opinion, a much better website from moviestar.

Now I am forced to go back to screenclick, and as you say, without my permission they have all these details of mine.

I see there is one other dvd company called busy bee. Has anyone tried them? They seem much smaller so I am a bit cautious of the service I would get, but I really don't want to give my money to screenclick. I even sent several emails to screenclick but they have yet to respond. Terrible service.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I joined them when they first started. Was happy enough for a few weeks, then was getting random dvds not even on my list. Contacted them and they rectified it. but again it happened, so I cancelled. Signed back up for a free trial again and cancelled before this trial ended and even after, my card was charged.
    I emailed them and got an apology - a "system error".

They can be good when they want, but it can very hit and miss with the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

I signed up a few years ago with Moviestar when they started up.

They were good for the trial 3 months, then once it went full price, same as OP, i kept getting one disc at a time, and only the movies from the end of my que.

They also never sent me the free (allbeit crappy) DVD player as promised, and when I sent discs back, they never arrived with Movistar and they threatned legal action. Also, once I tried to rent Schindlers List. It arrived, watched it, and halfway through the movie, it stopped and said insert disc 2. which of course, I never received.

When I cancelled and kept getting emails, I tried to remove my name from there mailing list which took an eternity, and when I brought up the fact I never got the promised free DVD player, they said they'd send one out if I gave them my CC details for €9.99 p+p. Hardly Free then!!

I dunno that these online movie stores are for me.. You can't beat walking into Xtrabusters or Chartvision :) picking a film off the shelf and watching it same night, not having to wait a week and it may not even be the one you were expecting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Scamp-

I'm still waiting for my new password to be sent to me.

I emailed and still no reply.
    I can't log into them now even to cancel my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

corkpilot wrote: »
    Now I am forced to go back to screenclick, and as you say, without my permission they have all these details of mine.

Your permission might not be required if Moviestar covered themselves in their terms and conditions:
    http://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Transfer_of_ownership_of_Business/217.htm
    Obviously following a merger or acquisition customer personal data, where it continues to be processed for a purpose, may become available to the new owner/partner. This prospect should be envisaged in the service terms and conditions for the customer to allow for fair processing of their data.

Don't get my dvds through the post so I was wondering how does it work receiving them. If they send you 3 dvds do they come in 3 separate letter-box friendly packs or just 1 large package?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Dublin Deluge

Hello!!

I'm a new user on boards.ie and this is my first post!

I was also a Moviestar.ie customer and have been very, very happy with their service for the last 12 months! I was also very surprised and a bit dissapointed when, out of the blue, they sent that email saying they've transferred their business to screenclick, of whom I didn't know anything about.

One of the reasons I liked Moviestar is because they have a good selection of bluray discs. The transfer email said that screenclick also has bluray discs, but so far I haven't seen any on their website. I also noticed that a lot of films dissapeared from my queue. Not surprisingly all of the bluray films I had in the queue disappeared. So I'm a bit worried that the screenclick service won't be as good as Moviestar's.

The transfer email mentioned screenclick will be adding more bluray films to their catalogue in the following weeks. I hope this is true!

Finally, I wrote an email to screenclick's support (about a different issue) and I haven't received any reply from them, not even one of those automated acknowledgement notifications. :( This is beginning to worry me already.

So for now, I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best...

DD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭techdiver

Hello!!

I'm a new user on boards.ie and this is my first post!

I was also a Moviestar.ie customer and have been very, very happy with their service for the last 12 months! I was also very surprised and a bit dissapointed when, out of the blue, they sent that email saying they've transferred their business to screenclick, of whom I didn't know anything about.

One of the reasons I liked Moviestar is because they have a good selection of bluray discs. The transfer email said that screenclick also has bluray discs, but so far I haven't seen any on their website. I also noticed that a lot of films dissapeared from my queue. Not surprisingly all of the bluray films I had in the queue disappeared. So I'm a bit worried that the screenclick service won't be as good as Moviestar's.

The transfer email mentioned screenclick will be adding more bluray films to their catalogue in the following weeks. I hope this is true!

Finally, I wrote an email to screenclick's support (about a different issue) and I haven't received any reply from them, not even one of those automated acknowledgement notifications. :( This is beginning to worry me already.

So for now, I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best...

DD

I have exactly the same issue.

My entire queue disappeared because the only reason I was a member of moviestar to get blu-ray disks.

I have sent 3 emails and received no reply. I'm thinking of just cancelling the standing order from my bank if I don't receive a reply soon.

I am very angry that they seemed to have just transferred the service on a snap with no preparation or consideration for the moviestar customers.

Disgraceful!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Will be cancelling too I'm sure, have had two discs that were allegedly dispatched last Thursday not show up yet and had no reply to the mails I have sent them, will be ringing the credit card company to instruct them not to pay at the end of the month as screenclick can go jump if they think I'm going to ring them to cancel!

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You would think that, when Screenclick bought Moviestar, that the DVDs and Bluray discs that Moviestar had would transfer over to Screenclick. Maybe they have, but Screenclick just haven't added them into their library yet.

Anyone unhappy with the change over, and poor service, needs to cancel payment and close their account. If you keep paying Screenclick for a crap service, they'll keep providing a crap service. There's no incentive for them to change, until they start loosing money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Same problems here - I was with Moviestar and now i'm a screenclick guy. But i've been waiting 2 weeks for the next dvd, which was posted over a week ago to me (they claim) and they have no record of the dvd returned to moviestar on the 2nd (its not even in my rental queue history anymore).

Moviestar where usually very prompt in sending out replacements (I found) but i'm hoping this is just down to the whole merger thing. If it is then they should be spanked very hard for not planning enough for the merger.

The whole concept of postal dvd rentals sounded like a great idea but the big drawback is you can't determine what dvd you get next - its nearly always the crappy dvd from the bottom of your list. The plus thingy is that once you get the dvd you can keep it as long as you like.

Have received two apologies about the poor service but am pressing for a free month as the delays have lowered my DVDs throughput to about 2 a week from the expected (and paid for) 6 to 9... They will pay or be discontinued...

LOL

MC

They have been discontinued, couldn't see myself putting up with another day of this crap, last week they sent me replacement discs for the one that didn't arrive the week before and the replacements haven't arrived yet either so I told them to stick it where the sun don't shine (just in nicer terms)

SCREENCLICK.COM Worlds worst postal DVD rental company!!!

MC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

I was with moviestar and like everybody else was switched to screenclick.
    Moviestar didn't have a huge selection but they were very quick with delivery. They would always dispatch your next dvd on the same day as your last dvd was returned.I'm on the '1 dvd at a time package' and used manage to get 2 dvd's a week with moviestar. Unfortunately with screenclick I'm struggling to even get 1 dvd a week.My last movie was returned on Tuesday and they still haven't sent me a new one.Also the last film I returned to moviestar is still showing in my queue as dispatched even though I returned
    this dvd to moviestar.It was returned during the transition period so that is probably why it is still showing as dispatched.I emailed them twice about this already but didn't get a reply.I'm disgusted with this pitiful service and will be cancelling at the end of the month.:mad:

Advertisement