Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New speed limit on M50 -

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

dak wrote: »
    What we need IMHO is a Proper Outer Orbital motorway around Dublin !
    No what we need is more investment in the regions to get people working there, especially in high paying jobs instead of all going to Dublin which clearly can't cope with the volumes that are currently there. The only reason so many people live in Dublin is because that's where all the jobs are, especially all the good ones. Investing even more in Dublin will only contribute to the brain drain that goes on in the rest of the country. I certainly don't begrudge the people stuck in traffic every day but at the same time if the Government got more people out of Dublin and into the regions then it would be good for Dublin too as well as for the rest of the country. There is only so much space available and Dublin is the worst example of what happens when you don't do planning.

Motorways and Dual Carriageways around the rest of the country(and not just those roads to Dublin) would be a good start, and serious investment in broadband would be handy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

E92 wrote: »
    No what we need is more investment in the regions to get people working there, especially in high paying jobs instead of all going to Dublin which clearly can't cope with the volumes that are currently there. The only reason so many people live in Dublin is because that's where all the jobs are, especially all the good ones.

Motorways and Dual Carriageways around the rest of the country(and not just those roads to Dublin) would be a good start, and serious investment in broadband would be handy too.

Trouble is how would it be financed! Only for EU money in the past we would all be driving on pot-holed roads. Didn't the Government try decentralisation but few seemed to be interested. Probably because the level of investment in infastructure isn't there !

dak wrote: »
    Probably because the level of investment in infastructure isn't there !
    Which goes back to my point;)! Anyway, if you've already settled somewhere and you're happy, then why would you go off to the arse end of nowhere?

The decentralisation thing is a political game letting the Government be seen to be doing something, it is completely unworkable and ironically is not a good idea, like say the Department of Argiculture, IIRC that is being decentralised to Wesht Cork, now considering that the current Minister for Agriculture is based in Cavan-Monaghan, and the Dáil resides in Dublin, now how can that possibly make sense?

Moving certain Government agencies is a good idea, moving whole Departments however is NOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Ya jesus the speed limit on the M50!!!
    If its anything like the 2.00 school rush in Carrick-on-Shannon ya could be waiting 5 -10 mins to get moving.

GET A LIFE!!!!!
    Ya live in the capital, its the only place in Ireland with a public transport network and your bitching because of a 20Kmph drop in speed limit. Ya spend all your time in traffic anyway and at the end of the day just going to be a carpark!!!
    In my opinion the money spent on it should have gone into improving some of the infrastructure outside the capital. If you want to go somewhere in dublin just get a bus or train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GTC

Troll!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Slig wrote: »
    Ya jesus the speed limit on the M50!!!
    If its anything like the 2.00 school rush in Carrick-on-Shannon ya could be waiting 5 -10 mins to get moving.

GET A LIFE!!!!!
    Ya live in the capital, its the only place in Ireland with a public transport network and your bitching because of a 20Kmph drop in speed limit. Ya spend all your time in traffic anyway and at the end of the day just going to be a carpark!!!
    In my opinion the money spent on it should have gone into improving some of the infrastructure outside the capital. If you want to go somewhere in dublin just get a bus or train.

Are you joking ? I spent 5 years going daily from Dundrum to Portmarnock and back. Most time I spent in one day on the M50 was nearly 4 hours Fact is there is no realistic Public Transport linking key hub areas in or around Dublin due to inadequate planning and very little investment for the last 20 years and more ! . Even the LUAS doesn't connect from one line to the next !So 5 mins in C-on S sounds wonderful!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,424 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If you've nothing useful to contribute, Slig, then don't post. That's a warning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

E92 wrote: »
    No what we need is more investment in the regions to get people working there...

+100.

Aren't there about 10-20 NDP-designated "hub towns" or something (I know Wicklow Town was one of them) around the country that are supposed to get significant investment to address this? I haven't lived there in a while, but are these plans still in place? Is it still progressing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

+1 on Decentralisation, I was back visiting Ireland a week ago and driving through Dublin i was absolutely disgusted with the amount of building/investment going on in Dublin City, compared to other cities in the country.

The place is a hole, the Luas is an absolute JOKE, the planning that goes into the city is idiotic. I couldn't believe the amount of Cranes visable coming from Dublin Airport through the Tunnel. The buildings they are sticking up around the place will look terrible in 20 years time.

Comapared to Cork, Limerick, Waterford, Galway, there is NOTHING going into them in comparison .. what more can i say, i moved country because its just getting ridiculous and heading for meltdown.

Cramming more and more people into one city is a receipe for disaster, the infrastructure will get more and more difficult to implement the longer they leave it.

Anyways, OT, but spreading the population over a wider area would stop/alleviate these massive traffic jams.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Distance of M50 - 38km

Time to travel at 120kmh - 19 mins
    Time to travel at 100kmh - 23 mins

Is 4 mins really such a big deal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Distance of M50 - 38km

Yes!!

I could have boiled an egg in that time! :D

Distance of M50 - 38km

I'm not positioning myself in favour of either speed limit (I never drive the road, anyway) but regardless of the speed limit, or the actual throughput or level congestion, 4 minutes is significant. Remember, it's not just 4 minutes. It's 4 minutes per person. How many people travel on the M50 each day? And how many minutes does it total? You could be talking about the equivalent of an awful lot of sick days. How much does that effect the economy?

I know not everyone travels the full length of the M50, and I know that during rush hour, the speed limit probably doesn't make that much difference, but I just want people to see the bigger picture and appreciate that 4 minutes per person per day can be considered an awful lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

OP and it may have been covered already, but wtf is peoples problem with the lanes?

I'm going to campaign to have the 3rd lane permenantly cordened off and closed, because people are idiots. The 3rd lanes is pointles because all the peopl ethat used to sit in the outside lane before just moved one lane to the right and most of the people who used to tootle along in the driving lane are now tootlign along in the 2 left lanes.

I generally only use the M50 on Saturday afternoon to get to football so the traffic is light. The only reason my journey is a bit quicker now is because the N4 junction is free flow so I dont have to sit at lights when I come off the M50.

My level of driving education is no more than anyone else in this country yet I know how to use a motorway properly, what is peoples problem?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Stekelly wrote: »
    The 3rd lanes is pointles because all the peopl ethat used to sit in the outside lane before just moved one lane to the right and most of the people who used to tootle along in the driving lane are now tootlign along in the 2 left lanes.

+100

Not quite correct though, everybody seems to think there are land mines in the left lane so they won't use it.

I'm for abolishing the lane rules altogether, it would solve a lot of problems on todays roads. American system FTW.

stevec wrote: »
    I'm for abolishing the lane rules altogether, it would solve a lot of problems on todays roads. American system FTW.
    You're joking, right? You think it should be okay for people to go their merry way at 10 or 20 below the limit in the fast lane?

I've never driven in France, but I've heard boardsies praise the driving there, and they vehemently follow the driving lane rules.

Have you ever driven over here? I couldn't tell you how often I'm on my way home on I-35 and have to sit behind a trio of cars (well, more likely SUVs), side by side, one in each lane, essentially blockading the road, with no-one in front of them.

And then you have those people who enter the freeway and immediately make their way over to the left lane and proceed at whatever pace they like with a big string of traffic behind them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

With the amount of junctions between toll bridge and knocklyon, and consequent weaving,or queing for off ramps the 100 limit makes more sense except at 3am.

OT again but does anyone know why , whil emaking all the junctions free flow, a new, slower, traffic light controlled junction has been put on the Ballymount exit?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

OT again but does anyone know why , whil emaking all the junctions free flow, a new, slower, traffic light controlled junction has been put on the Ballymount exit?

Could be space constraint or just that its not an important junction. Or maybe they are just stupid:confused:

darkman2 wrote: »
    Could be space constraint or just that its not an important junction. Or maybe they are just stupid:confused:

Has to be the 3rd part. The traffic tailbacks are worse than ever at the junction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Crikey:eek:
    The runctions caused by irish motorists finding they have to slow down a little!

Its not as if it will make any practical difference to you anyway. M50 from M1 interchange to Tallagh one is about 18 miles. Difference in your journey time - even if you could do the speed limit from one end to the other - is less than two minutes. IN practice, on average, difference likely to be less than a minute).

For such a trifle, would you not relax, consider that that you may even be wrong and the NRA correct, and accept that erring on the side of safety could be worthwhile for such an insignificant amount of your time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

craichoe wrote: »
    +1 on Decentralisation, I was back visiting Ireland a week ago and driving through Dublin i was absolutely disgusted with the amount of building/investment going on in Dublin City, compared to other cities in the country.

The place is a hole, the Luas is an absolute JOKE, the planning that goes into the city is idiotic. I couldn't believe the amount of Cranes visable coming from Dublin Airport through the Tunnel. The buildings they are sticking up around the place will look terrible in 20 years time.

Comapared to Cork, Limerick, Waterford, Galway, there is NOTHING going into them in comparison .. what more can i say, i moved country because its just getting ridiculous and heading for meltdown.

Cramming more and more people into one city is a receipe for disaster, the infrastructure will get more and more difficult to implement the longer they leave it.

Anyways, OT, but spreading the population over a wider area would stop/alleviate these massive traffic jams.

Why post on something that does not worry you.

You say you went thru the port tunnel, a lot of us had to put up the extra traffic in Dublin so you could do this.

OT ,but building in a wider area is also a major factor in the capitals "meltdown", how does making people travel 2hrs each way to work help.

I dove into Cork, Limerick and Belfast over the last two weeks and the traffic was as bad peak times as Dublin , relatively speaking.

Sandwich wrote: »
    For such a trifle
    You'd want to read the whole thread, this has been discussed already. Specifically, read http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55925483&postcount=43
    OT ,but building in a wider area is also a major factor in the capitals "meltdown", how does making people travel 2hrs each way to work help.
    Judging by craichoe's entire post, I'd be fairly sure they mean spreading population and jobs over a wider area, while having the average distance between a person's home and their job be much lower.
    I.e., you agree with craichoe (and me, and E92), that urban sprawl sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

My brother was done for speeding on the M50 heading south bound on sunday, he was doing 110k on a road which he thought was 120k and when the cop asked him what speed he was doing he told him and the guard then told him he was gonna nail him to the ground and to expect some serious summons in the post!!!:mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Balfa wrote: »
    You're joking, right? You think it should be okay for people to go their merry way at 10 or 20 below the limit in the fast lane?
    No, not joking, if there's no lane rules then there is no fast lane.
    I've never driven in France, but I've heard boardsies praise the driving there, and they vehemently follow the driving lane rules.
    They don't here - there are a minority of motorists that don't seem to be aware that rules even exist and proceed to feck things up for the rest of the drivers.
    Have you ever driven over here? I couldn't tell you how often I'm on my way home on I-35 and have to sit behind a trio of cars (well, more likely SUVs), side by side, one in each lane, essentially blockading the road, with no-one in front of them.
    Probably not as often as being stuck behind a muppet in the right lane here when it's illegal to pass him.
    Yes, I've driven there, at a guess, I've done maybe 8000 miles over the years - I find freeway driving a lot less stressfull than motorway driving here (and that includes LA, the only place I've found with traffic worse than Dublin)
    And then you have those people who enter the freeway and immediately make their way over to the left lane and proceed at whatever pace they like with a big string of traffic behind them.
    In practice though, they don't sit behind - unlike here, they can undertake.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

To Be fair the M50 isnt that big i understand the 100kph limit is ridicolous for such a high quality road but the 100Kph isnt that bad when you consider most of the time your crawling along at 20kph :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Whats the point in upgrading the road, then lowering the limit. Its a motorway, and thus the limit should be 120. I know you will rarely have the chance to do 100, never mind 120, but what about all the poor sods caught at 2am doing 120, a safe enough motorway speed, when the limit is artificially low at 100? I realize too that 100kph vs 120kph will not make much difference timewise, however it is nice to be able to cruise along at a half decent speed and make pace when the road conditions allow. I fully support the call to have the old limit reinstated. Perhaps speak to the TD's responsible for the Dublin area near the M50, as well as those for the commuter districts?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The road was upgraded to all more traffic flow on it. That is why the lanes are narrower than they were previously.
    Were traffic to flow at 120km/h then a greater stopping distance is required.
    Take a look at http://vwisb7.vkw.tu-dresden.de/~treiber/MicroApplet/

stevec wrote: »
    No, not joking, if there's no lane rules then there is no fast lane.

Theres never been a fast lane so thats not an isue.

Theres never been a fast lane so thats not an isue.
    Take it in context, I didn't say there was.

• Advertisement

Are the lanes narrower than what you get in a narrow median motorway like the Fermoy bypass?

Cause if they're the same width as a 2 lane narrow median Motorway, then there is no reason why it shouldn't have a 120 limit. All that said, the points I made in previous posts still stand. The chances to even get to 100 never mind 120 are rare enough on the M50, I don't think in the whole scheme of things
    that we should be moaning about something that you so rarely have an opportunity to do anyway. Now supposing that it was say one of the Motorway bypasses in the country where you can quite often do 120 and you were now limited to 100, then that certainly would be a cause for serious complaint.

Advertisement