Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBQ Ideas

• 13-05-2008 9:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Can anyone suggest new ideas for the bbq.

I am thinking along the lines of fish and vegtables?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Thinly sliced courgette brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with a little salt grills up to a seriously tasty titbit. I used the slicer bit on my cheese grater to make the courgette nice and thin.

Or I've also made vegetable kebabs. I chop up a whole load of the more mediterranean vegetables - courgette, onion, peppers, aubergine etc and then let the whole lot sit in a mix of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper then stick on a kebab skewer and cook till all squishy.

You could sit them in some other mixture, I just made that one up as I went along but it made nice tasting food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Some side dishes....

Roast sweet pepper salad.

Take some red and yellow peppers and blacken the skins either on the gas or BBQ. Once completely black, put in a plastic bag or cover in a bowl and allow to cool for 20 minutes. The skins should rub off. Split and remove the seeds. Slice thinly. Add finely chopped garlic, thinly sliced anchovies, a handful of capers, plenty of torn basil leaves. Spread the whole lot on a large plate and season with black pepper and drizzle with olive oil.

Grilled courgette, aubergine and some cherry tomatoes. Mix with basil leaves and olive oil.

On a different track...

Mackerel cook great on the BBQ. Make a glaze of soy sauce and ginger juice - grate a piece of ginger and squeeze the pulp to extract the juice. Add the juice of half a lime. Brush over mackerel as they cook.

Make up some instant noodles and drizzle with seasme oil, cook shiitake mushrooms and asparagus spears on the BBQ, drizzled with olive oil and seasoned with sea salt. Mix the noodles with the veggies and serve alongside the fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭Clink

Tandoori mackerel....get the tandoori mix in any of the Asian supermarkets in town, it's a box of spices you mix with natural yoghurt. Coat mackeral in this mix bbq, delicious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I did a full sea trout on the BBQ last night - tasted V yum.

Rubbed garlic, lemon zest and seasoning into the skin & insides. Put lemon wedges and basil into scores on the skin and inside it.
    Lashed it on BBQ - took longer than I thought - about 30 mins in total.

And was only 12 EUR from Dunnes for the whole fish! Would feed 6 I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭EireEV

Great marinade for Chicken - renders the chicken very tender

Good dash of Vodka
    Splash of Balsamic Vinegar
    Splash of White Wine Vinegar
    Finely chopped clove of Garlic
    2 Tbls Olive Oil
    Salt & Pepper
    Squeeze of Lemon Juice
    Fresh Rosemary - I get mine from fresh from the grden :-)

Marinade for a minimum of 2 hours

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Clink wrote: »
    Tandoori mackerel....get the tandoori mix in any of the Asian supermarkets in town, it's a box of spices you mix with natural yoghurt. Coat mackeral in this mix bbq, delicious!

After first catching a bunch of mackerell!!:D

Advertisement