Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CopyCat

Options
  • 13-05-2008 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

Ok girls, This will sound incredibly trivial but its wrecking my head.

I transferred departments at the start of the year and so went from wearing a uniform to wearing business attire. Recently a girl I had previously worked with has transferred in here too. She has now started to copy all the clothes I wear and she doesn't see anything wrong with this. Its so embarressing to come in wearing something and she turns up in it the next day. I've had to resort to giving away some of my clothes and changing the shops where I buy my work clothes. What can I do?????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

She wears them the day after you and not the same day? That shouldnt be embarrassing for you, maybe for her though. Anyway you want to know what you can do? Heres my advice ... get over it. Failing that you could always make your own clothes or get a court order stopping her from buying the same clothes as you. <misses rolleyes smiley>

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I'd find it flattering.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You say that you used to wear a uniform? It could just be that she's not used to wearing the kind of clothers for the job and doesn't want to be seen as going against the dress code? I know when they stuck a dresscode on us I had no clue what to buy or where to get it and looked around at others for inspiration. Once she gets a better idea of what to wear she'll prob put her own style on it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Wear more outrageous clothes. Or keep complimenting her until she gets the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

"Oh, I have an outfit just like that one. Come to think of it, I was wearing it yesterday. You may have noticed?"

Repeat daily till she gets the message.

Or

a) You could go naked

b) Do what Sabotage said and get over it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

Ah Sabotage, thanks for the female advice!!!!!!!!!

It is so petty and I'm well aware but it just makes me a bit self conscious and afriad that we'll turn up in the same thing. I don't like being the centre of attention or having attention drawn to me (rules out going naked:D).
    She thinks it's a big joke and is nearly enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

She thinks it's a big joke and is nearly enjoying it.
    I find it funny. :)

Sherifu wrote: »
    I find it funny. :)

I would too, if it wasn't me:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭do you love it?

oh god something similiar happened to me a couple years ago.
    like right down to changing my hair colour!!
    i started saying i was buying all these things that really i found hideous, then she'd buy them....gas.
    in the end whenever she asked where i got my clothes id just say online, and when she asked what site id just so i didnt remember.....it worked to a certain extent.

i feel your pain though its extremely frustrating!!!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Arent ya lucky to have someone think so highly of your taste? :)

And which of you looks better? If its you, you dont have a problem

• Advertisement

not to be rude, but its not flattering at all. not in my case anyway.

because im big into clothes and try to put a fair bit of thought into it i felt like she was trying to take away a part of my identity as weird as it sounds

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Single white female..

Ah yeah I look better by a long shot...LOL :D

In all honesty I think I was just a bit pi$$ed off this morning as she rocked up in a top I had on last week that I love. It's quite distinctive and two of the lads commented about it which annoyed me even more. I suppose I should be flattered but I actually think it's a bit creepy.

Ah yeah I look better by a long shot...LOL :D

In all honesty I think I was just a bit pi$$ed off this morning as she rocked up in a top I had on last week that I love. It's quite distinctive and two of the lads commented about it which annoyed me even more. I suppose I should be flattered but I actually think it's a bit creepy.

im with you.
    i can understand why people copy celeb styles, but when you are with this person nearly everyday its shockin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Single white female..

+1 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Hi Purple Princess - I think it could have two sides to it tbh.

You obviously take great pride in your appearance, probably always put the outfit together quite well, and probably look very confident. Maybe shes after the same kind of confidence, it doesnt come so natuarally to some women.

This girl seems quite impressionable, and I think that you are so irritated by her, you arent really seeing it for what it is.

Compliment her on her outfit, but I'd be inclined to say "do you know what would be lovely on you.. ? <insert suggestion> before you know it she could be tapping you for clothes advice, and stop the copy cat business.

She obviously looks up to you. :)

Hey Abigayle, you could be right. I do tend to be very co-ordinated (the subject of much slagging by the lads in the office) and she has commented on this before. She also has said that she doesn't know what to be wearing now and I know I was in the same boat when I started here first, prob still am to some degree

I just dress normally, nothing mad fancy and I accessorise nicely so I wouldn't mind so much if she was just getting style ideas from me but to turn up dressed identically is whats bothering me but anyway I'm calmed down and can see her perspective so I'll get over it.

But I tell ya wearing a uniform is really a godsend.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

but anyway I'm calmed down and can see her perspective so I'll get over it.But I tell ya wearing a uniform is really a godsend.:D

I had a uniform for a job before. Its great that you dont have to co-ordinate every day, but you do get bored with it too :/

Tell me, are you in anyway chatty with the girl in question? I would definitely throw her off track, by being nice to her and give her some suggestions. If shes easily led, then lead her, away from your wardrobe! :)

If she starts asking if you would like her to carry your things to your car, or if you want any odd jobs done round the house, and changes her name to something dannngerously like yours - then run for the hills :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 KateD

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery!!

I think this could be happening without her knowing. It happens where I work as well but I don't think its on purpose. Everyone reads the same magazines, shops in the same shops, watches same movies and we all follow trends even if unconsciously. You say you dress normally so I reckon if you were to walk into half the offices around this country, you would find people dressed like you.

Give the girl a break. Even if she uses you as a style icon, I'm sure she has the best intentions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭niavie

KateD wrote: »
    Imitation is the greatest form of flattery!!

I think this could be happening without her knowing. It happens where I work as well but I don't think its on purpose. Everyone reads the same magazines, shops in the same shops, watches same movies and we all follow trends even if unconsciously. You say you dress normally so I reckon if you were to walk into half the offices around this country, you would find people dressed like you.

Give the girl a break. Even if she uses you as a style icon, I'm sure she has the best intentions!

+1, She might have looked to you for fashion advice as she knew you'd already made the transition from uniform to business attire. She probably just doesn't realise she is still doing it. It's never a nice feeling to walk into a place and feel like your not dressed for the occasion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Ive had something similar happen to me before. In my case I know the girl was being a total B***h - she would ask me where I got something and the next week come into work wearing it as bold as you like. I just stopped wearing those items into work - not much else I could do about it really but its v. frustrating.

Advertisement