Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Superstar Soccer

Options
  • 13-05-2008 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭

Oh hai, I like this forum but don't play the newer Pro Evo's so can't talk much. I dunno if some of you have ever played Konami's other soccer series - ISS? It first started on the SNES, being apparently the best football game available at the time (but not better than European Club Soccer...:pac:).

The first game I had of it was ISS Pro on the Ps1, which I bought as a platinum edition for 19.99 (bargain!). It was a classic. I remeber playing it and it being so different from Fifa. It was hard and tense and really engaging. It was also the best game graphically at the time. When you scored a goal, which often took ages in the build up, it was so worth it. The voice commentary was a bit naff, and sometimes you'd hear the wrong comment, but I loved it.

I didn't really play ISS again until I got ISS Pro Evolution. I think this was the beginning of the end for the ISS series and maybe Konami intended to continue it on with Pro Evo. I think aswell that ISS was made by Konami Europe and Pro Evo is the product of Konami Japan. Anyway, ISS Pro Evolution is the greatest football game ever made for the Ps1 - you've got through balls and one-two's, overhead passes, brilliant gameplay.

I bought ISS 98 (not great) and ISS 64 (also not one of my favourites) since but my fond memories will also be of ISS Pro. I can't believe I wasted so many hours playing f**cking Fifa!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

i still have my N64 at home and ISS 64 gets taken out from time to time.

mainly for the commentary, which is absolutely hilarious...

midfielder pass to... defender... HE'S GOING ALL THE WAY!!! (when your full back has just picked up the ball)

The goalkeeper must have shares in a paint factory!

brazil.... ARE ON THE SCORESHEET!

ah, memories..

edit*

i'd forgotten the classic when you made a sub...

fresh blood is coming in...

the way the commentator said it (was it tony gubba??) was really creepy...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

It's actually more like this...

The sim-realistic style ones, i.e. the Pro games (i.e. ISS Pro (PSX), ISS Pro 98, ISS Pro Evoultion 1 / 2, PES (WE) 1 - 6) came through Konami Tokyo (KCET) studio.

And all the arcade-style ones (ISS Delux (Snes), ISS 64, etc...) came through Konami Osaka (KCEO) studio.

/EDIT

Here's a timeline: http://home.alphalink.com.au/~warrior/ISShist.htm

Written years ago but still relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Ah, I stand corrected! The link is pretty good too, I was looking for a list of all the games, didn't realise there were so many. Thanks Sofak.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

That's a good link... doesn't look like it has been upgraded in 5 years or so though.

Advertisement