Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climers, grass treatment and new borders..

Options
  • 13-05-2008 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi all,

Complete novice here

I'm trying to get seriously get stuck into the garden at the moment and I've a few issues that I need some advise on

I have a large block wall - not the prettiest - all along the east facing side of the garden, could any one suggest a few climbers or ornamental bushes/small trees which I could plant along it to cover it up - it's about 70ft long (6 foot high) so I need a few - (also I’d like to create a border in front of some of them if that matters!)

also whatever goes in will have to compete with the bind weed which i'm trying to kill but it's very difficult - the roundup doesn't seem to be up to the task - has any one used anything stronger? Where i do have plants i just keep pulling hte bind week up before it get a hold of the plant

The grass in the garden is just awful, in patches it's about 70% weeds, mostly dandelions, are those "weed suppressant and grass fertiliser" combination products any good? - I really don't want to lift the whole lawn as it's quite large and would cost a fortune.

I've a hedge on the west facing side that I’d like to put a border in front of, any suggestions for what will survive in front of a hedge and look good - I kind of like a wild and colourful look..?

oh and I have made a veg patch for myself using some decking boards to make raised beds (looks nice) but I’ve seen some other people using planks, any suggestions on the best place to source treated planks (which wouldn't be as large and expensive as sleepers)

whew..

Any advice is appreciated

Advertisement