Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N11 M50 on Bank holiday

• 13-05-2008 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Quick one, travelling to just south of Wexford Town for the June bankholiday.

What time would I need to get to the N11 from the M50 to avoid major madness?

Any general tips for the drive down, places to avoid etc

thanks a mil
    sn00ps

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

once you get to loughlinstown, it's practically a dual cw or motorway all the way down.

Loughlinstown can be a nightmare though at the best of times :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

If yer doing M50-N11 then loughlinstown isn't on your route.

M50 from Tallaght-Sandyford is a works area with low speed limit so that'll be slow, but once you pass J14 everything should be rosey. M/N11 should be fine, give yourself a couple of hours but take account of the M50 roadworks. Depending where you're coming from, maybe you could even avoid the M50 and use the N11 within Dublin instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Its gets bad on the n11 on the dual carraigeway at the end just before the beehive pub and until after the tap pub but after that it's grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭sn00ps

Wish I knew were those pubs were!! I'll be coming from the N7 although can go cross country to avoid most of the roadworks and pop out at Ballinteer from the back of Tallaght.

Was just wondering how busy the M50/11 junction got on back holidays and at what time. Will I have missed most of the outbound N11 traffic by the M50?

thanks for all your tips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

sn00ps wrote: »
    Was just wondering how busy the M50/11 junction got on back holidays and at what time. Will I have missed most of the outbound N11 traffic by the M50?
    During the week it gets pretty bunged up in the evening rush hour. People joining from the N11 seem to think they have to merge the very instant they get there, when they have over 1km to do it. Don't have any experience of it on Bank Holidays though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Expect from the Loughlinstown/Cherrywood M50 exit south to be a car park from about 16:00 onwards until the Beehive pub or so.

I travel this route on the way home from work, last couple of years I've taken a route via Enniskerry home as a result.

To be honest, the least stressful way to do it is leave early or late, in between isnt going to be fun , especially if the weather is nice.

Same goes for most Fridays if the weather is nice for the next few months.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Thank you all very much, looks like I will try and clear it before 16:00 .. and look to the mountains if I get stuck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

16.00 is way too late on friday of the June weekend. Want good advice? Go thursday! After traveling this road daily for 13 years, I always take that friday off because of the chaos going home to Gorey.

oh dear, logged on just before the trip to see if there were any last min tips .. and now I'm worried. Thanks for your help .. guess I will try to get out earlier .. 3 or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

sn00ps wrote: »
    Wish I knew were those pubs were!! I'll be coming from the N7 although can go cross country to avoid most of the roadworks and pop out at Ballinteer from the back of Tallaght.

thanks for all your tips.

The Beehive is on the left, about 1km south of where the Dual Carriage way ends near Wicklow Town.
    The Tap was about 4 km further south on the right after the narrow bendy section of road starts to widen

the Darkroom, you;ll have to admit there's been a few improvemets in the last 13 years, major holdups now are the M50/M11 merge and the end of dual carriageway at the top of Rathnew hill.
    Kilmac, Ashford, Rathnew, Arklow and Gorey are now a breeze

• Advertisement

Update for anyone searching in the future!!

Between the jogs and the reels I started from Greystones around 4:30. Don 't know if it was luck or just an in between time as apart from delays at the aforementioned Beehive for 10-15 mins where the road merges into 1 lane I managed to drive pretty much at the speed limit the whole way.

Not sure if it was the sunshine, but defintely one of my more pleasant experiences driving in Ireland. Made it to south west Wexford in just over 2.5 hours which I would say wasn't bad for a bank holiday Friday.

thanks to all for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

I started the commute before the Arklow even started construction and it used to be a complete nightmare. All the traffic to the South East used to dive through the narrow main street with its incredible parking antics, in the queue with articulated lorries and CIE busses. You could be behind a bus and when you get ti the top of the town it would stop in the middle of the road at the narrowest point and hold up traffic for what seemed an eternity as there was no room to drive around it.I don't miss it in the slightest.
    Ashford was another one, I still have nightmares. Each of these places could add an hour to the journey. Fortunately I turn off before Gorey so that disaster rarely affected me. The odd time the line of traffic would back up for several miles and I had even seen it as far back as Inch (that's not far from where the Arklow Bypass ended).
    Things have most definitely improved, I wouldn't turn back the clock for any money. Roll on the connection between the end of the Rathnew bypass and the start of the Arklow one.

Advertisement