Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best broadband option for small new school

Options
  • 13-05-2008 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭

Just looking for some advice. What would be the best option for an internet connection where the existing phone line is not capable of receiving broadband. It is in a fairly remote area. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

The location would help.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Fibre, Cable, Metro, FWA 3.6GHz fixed Wireless, two Way Satellite.

Not
    Mobile 3G/HSDPA, Nomadic "wireless Broadband in a box" or 1 way Satellite like SkyDSL/Teles

Check the FAQ.

Is it just for the office, or one teacher or the school generally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭vox

It is for the school generally, a very small school so their budget would be quite small. It is in Enniscorthy Co wexford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭conjamuk

You should check if there is wireless broadband in your area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

I thought that the department had set up some sort of scheme for schools. According to this there should be anyway but i could be wrong.

http://www.dcmnr.gov.ie/Communications/Communications+Development/Schools+Broadband+Access+Programme/

Maybe contact the department if you haven't already

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They are entitled to free broadband from the Department of education

Try www.ncte.ie for information on the Schools Broadband Scheme , in fact they should have been connected 2 years back, all for free

http://www.ncte.ie/AbouttheNCTE/ICTPolicy/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

www.getbroadband.ie would suggest that the only options available in Enniscorthy would be phone-line based services.

Not sure how up to date it is.

A very large proportion of Schools on the Government scheme are connected by two way Satellite dish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Tiamant888

Hey VOX,

Dont go near satellite until you eliminate the fixed wireless options!!! you'll end up tearing your hair out with the speed & it'll leave a nasty hole in your pocket to the tune of €900!!
    I live in Blessington I was in the same boat as yourself, I was sorted out by a crowd called OmniTel. Did a bit of digging before I placed the order mind you, looks like they are part of associated with the IFA & they are a major player in the National broadband scheme. I have to say the service is A1 from them. The chap I was in contact with in there was Tony...cant remember his second name, he got me sorted in about a week. Check out www.omnitel.ie

Hope this helps!! :-)

The schools on the Government scheme don't pay, and the speed is similar (but not latency) to DSL, it's a professional product the Government pays for.

IFA/Motorola has withdrawn from tendering for NBS.

If there is no fixed Wireless then it is Satellite or 3G/HSDPA. Do check out ALL the fixed wireless* vendors first. The 3G/HSDPA can be better speed and 1/4 the latency (good) of Satellite, but equally it can be 1/2 or 1/10th the speed of Satellite and x2 Satellite Latency!

Do see if you can get it free under the Schools scheme.

*( A few small fixed wireless vendors use satellite backhaul anyway)

• Advertisement
Advertisement