Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celestial Telescopes as Spotting Scopes?

Options
  • 13-05-2008 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

I am looking for a spotting scope for 300 yd tgt shooting and beyond. Funds are low, so I was considering a second hand celestial telescope. Is there any reason why these cant be used as a spotting scope?
    Anyone have any experience of them as spotting scopes?
    They seem to have all the requirements, good optics and high magnification.
    Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

No real reason at all. We discussed this here before and again when Meade released a scope designed for just that purpose. Rew already has one for this purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Aldi or Lidl (can't remember which) had a scope for sale a short while back. I think it was €79 and seems to be very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Just an aside - mightn't bother you much, though. Celestial telescopes usually use a mirror to focus the image or have a limited number of lenses internally (to reduce the amount of light loss). The result is that, quite often, the image is reversed left to right. This is not a problem for celestial observation but might cause some issues when adjusting windage during shooting.:D

If you are shooting prone, then you may have an issue getting the 'scope to mount low enough. These scopes are often very awkward to use.

High magnification is not the answer, either, as the air at ground level is very turbulent and causes mirage effects. The tubes in some astronomical telescopes are affected by the heat of the day.

You need to pick the model carefully as per Sparks advice.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

For my 2p's worth, I think anything over 100yds you have to be prepared to get decent optics. Scopes of poorer quality are good at 25m, OK at 50m but poor enough at 100m +

Best bet would be a good second hand spotting scope from Kowa, Opticron (higher end) or similar, they crop up on that well known auction site from time to time, and some retalers have second hand scopes for sale usually. Best to get 80mm lens if you can, 70mm will work but at the longer ranes I think good quality is vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

You can get image re-inverting eyepieces FT. You don't use them in astronomy because it's just more glass for the light to go through and there wasn't much light to start with, but outdoors in daylight, it's no problem at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

I've got an erecting :eek: prism for my Meade ETX. I just think astro scopes are too fiddly and too delicate for dragging around rifle ranges. Get some decent glass of a reasonable size (80mm+), nitrogen filled for fog-resistance and the OP will be fine for long-range spotting! Horses for courses and all that ...

Advertisement