Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shimano 105 V Shimano Tiagra Derailleur

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

go for the 105 equipped bike 10 speed > than 8 speed

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I would go with the 105/Ultegra mix as the future is very much 10-speed (Tiagra is currently 9 but I think moving to 10 speed itself soon.) You are also getting Ultegra shifters and slightly better wheels. TBH though at €1,345 I would be considering entry level carbon (Focus Cayo, Planet X, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

FWIW, a friend of mine just bought a bike with Tiagra shifters, and he's perfectly happy with them. However, I have Ultegra on mine (which are in essence the same as 105s, just a bit lighter- someone please correct me if I'm wrong), and when I rode his I couldn't believe how much heavier and sluggish the shifting felt. Getting back on to my bike, shifting felt super light and slick.
    blorg wrote: »
    TBH though at €1,345 I would be considering entry level carbon (Focus Cayo, Planet X, etc.)

As blorg says, for the budget you're spending on the Lapierre, you could get a very good bike online, Wiggle and CRC have higher specced bikes for less than the price you'd be paying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Kilcullen

thanks, so it looks like 105 is the way to go.
    In the same price range, i was looking at the Giant SCR1
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=35&idproduct=18158 which has 105 groupset. Is Giant reliable or should i stick with Lapierre.
    I do not feel like it would be beneficial to buy on the net, i know Wiggle are reliable but rather spend an extra few quid if i have to, so i can bring it back in case of problems and for ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Yes Giant have a very stong following and are one of the biggest bike manufacturers in the world. Test cycle both and see which one you like best.

• Advertisement

As Hungrycol says, Giant are one of biggest manufacturers in the world, maybe the biggest. Lapierre are a lot smaller but do sponsor a major team (Française des Jeux); I wouldn't have any worries about them either.

I have both Ultegra and 105 shifters (10 speed, both with an Ultegra RD); they are certainly pretty close but I think the Ultegra maybe shifts just a little bit nicer. Both shift a lot better than an older 9-speed 105 I have, but the age may have something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Giant also sponsor a major team i.e. T-Mobile, currently called Team High Road. Nothing in it really, if anything Giant would have the better reputation globally.

What about the components overall on the Giant SCR1? Which one would you go for between Giant SCR1 and lapierre s-tech500? http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/p...dproduct=17887

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

lukester wrote: »
    when I rode his I couldn't believe how much heavier and sluggish the shifting felt. Getting back on to my bike, shifting felt super light and slick.
    After becoming very particular about cleaning, lubing and maintaining the drivetrain recently I have come to the belief that many people could gain a lot more from a bottle of degreaser + teflon lube + the Zinn book than 300Euro on an upgrade from 105 to Ultegra. (Not saying that there is no difference, mind you)

I think I would go for the Lapierre due to the Ultegra bits but ultimately it would depend on the fit.

Note the Lapierre is a triple and the Giant is a compact double.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Diarmuid wrote: »
    After becoming very particular about cleaning, lubing and maintaining the drivetrain recently I have come to the belief that many people could gain a lot more from a bottle of degreaser + teflon lube + the Zinn book than 300Euro on an upgrade from 105 to Ultegra. (Not saying that there is no difference, mind you)

Maintenance will help (have the Zinn book myself :D) but there is a definite step up from the Tiagra. I was riding two almost brand new bikes back to back- the Tiagra felt significantly worse than the Ultegra. In this case, you do get what you pay for.

i will probably go for the Lapierre s-tech 500 as it is a triple over the compact double. I am better off going for 105 all over or is 105 and ultegra combined even better and smoother?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Kilcullen wrote: »
    Hi There,

I'm strongly thinking of bying a road bike, but i am hesitating between 2 bikes of the same brand.
    They are exactly the same bikes except that one is equipped with Shimano 105 and Ultegra derailleur combined and the other is mainly with Shimano Tiagara.
    The difference between the 2 is ~ €350 euros.

I am tempted to go for the Shimano 105 combined with Ultegra but i don't know if it is worth an extra 350 euros knowing that the Tiagra is pretty reliable too.

Bikes are Lapierre S-tech 400 http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=35&idproduct=17885 and Lapierre S-tech 500 http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=35&idproduct=17887

Any opinions on this will be greatly appreciated.

Why don't you look at buying this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360031620&N=Giant%20SCR%20Composite%203

I was going to buy the s-lite 200 but this was aloy cheaper.

I don't know if the size they have left will suit but you can easily check that in cyclesuperstore.

Kilcullen wrote: »
    i will probably go for the Lapierre s-tech 500 as it is a triple over the compact double. I am better off going for 105 all over or is 105 and ultegra combined even better and smoother?
    You will be better off with the Ultegra/105 mix than 105 on it's own. The stuff is all entirely compatible and interchangeable. You always have the option to upgrade some of the 105 stuff later if desired or if it needs replacement.

Advertisement