Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fantasy Football 2008

• 13-05-2008 12:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭

I figure it'd be a good idea to get a thread going well in advance of the Fantasy Draft, for all discussion relating to Fantasy Football for the coming year. I know it's early, but has anyone started to shortlist their top draft picks? Or rookies worth a punt? Will we get a league going here on the boards? Which is the preferred format, NFL.com, Yahoo, A.N. other? Am I hearing correctly that NFL.com will have a salary cap to contend with this year?

I was away last year, completely missed the draft, ended up with Mike Vick as my starting QB :( Got a gem in Marshawn Lynch though, Larry Fitzgerald, Housh and Steven Jackson when fit. This year, vengence will be mine!!

Anyway, here are some resources I've stumbled upon:

NFL.com's initial 2008 rankings

Michael Fabiano's top 10 rookies

Good article here on players entering into contract years.

I'll keep adding decent articles to this OP as I find them/they appear later in the thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭Wanders_fan

Wants your take on rookies?

i fancy mcfadden as a value pick with nice OL in oakland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Time will tell. Apparently he's being used a lot in passing plays in minicamp, where he's looking comfortable. But he's competing with Fargas and Michael Bush for the top spot... tough call, but as you say that O-Line has strengthened, and if Jamarcus adds another scramblnig threat it could mean big plays for a talented RB who can catch deep balls.

Edit: Here's Michael Fabiano's top 10 rookies

Yeah could be i fancy micheal turner to do better then the list suggests too i have him higher.

P.s. I'm an eagle fan.what banner do you stand behind?

Seahawks!

What do you make of alexander?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I think that McFadden will have a good fantasy year if hes used in the pass.Also look out for Chris Johnson who'll definately be used in the pass.We should use NFL.com.Its the best of them all.

PS.Eagles fan despite the misleading name

I'll get the league set up once NFL.com Fantasy Football goes live.
    What do you make of alexander?

Personally sorry to see him leave, but my head says he's past his best and relieving ourselves of his contract is probably a smart move. We'll see how the triplet of Jones, Morris and Duckett do, and of course that ever potent West Coast Offence :P

I'd love to join a league.i've never played on NFL.com i've always played on Yahoo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'd be quite interested as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Yeah could be i fancy micheal turner to do better then the list suggests too i have him higher.

P.s. I'm an eagle fan.what banner do you stand behind?

Joe Banner!!!

I'm a birds fan too. Although I have to say I think it could be a long year. I'm just not convinced LJ's return will have the impact the FO is claiming...

I'd be up for the league...

As for Rookies No-one grades too high for me. I like Mendenhall but he prob won't get too many carries with Parker ahead of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd be interested in getting into a fantasy game as well.
    Is there one on here?
    If not which one are you all in?

I reckon we'd have enough on here to set up a league. Once the free game starts I'll set one up on NFL.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

let me know when you get this set up and ill play

Ok we need to limit numbers so the league isn't too deep. how about 12 or 16? i vote 16 more of a challenge. What do you guys think?

I'd have gone 12 but if u want to go 16,thats ok,i suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

I'd love to be involved if there's space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Count me in on this too.

12 or 16? 12 league teams are usually more competitive, but then in every league there is always a handful of guys who go inactive and don't fix their teams which is why I would prefer a 16 team league.

Plus the 16 team leagues mean the player pool gets more diluted and you really have to work for a good team and to keep up to date and on top of injuries etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

i'd love to be involved if there is still room left,if not no hassle

Wanders_fan
    Xavi6
    Pyjamarama
    eagle eye
    kryogen
    titan18
    Karlusss
    Vikings
    raven136

plus myself makes 10 so far confirmed.

Let me know if I overlooked anyone!

looking good so far!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Wanders_fan
    Xavi6
    Pyjamarama
    eagle eye
    kryogen
    titan18
    Karlusss
    Vikings
    raven136

plus myself makes 10 so far confirmed.

Let me know if I overlooked anyone!

11 here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

I'd like to get involved.

Have you guys run a fantasy league here before.

I was a member of one when I lived in the States and tried to keep it going when I came home but have been sticking to pools the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr.Slurm

I'm in if you've got room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Dowlinn

If there is any room left I'd like to get involved.

Vikings wrote: »
    Count me in on this too.

12 or 16? 12 league teams are usually more competitive, but then in every league there is always a handful of guys who go inactive and don't fix their teams which is why I would prefer a 16 team league.

Plus the 16 team leagues mean the player pool gets more diluted and you really have to work for a good team and to keep up to date and on top of injuries etc.

I agree and the more ppl the more trash thats talked.

What is the best site? i have only ever played free on yahoo and find it very good and they do a good live draft.

What should the position set up be?Suggestions?

I agree and the more ppl the more trash thats talked.

What is the best site? i have only ever played free on yahoo and find it very good and they do a good live draft.

What should the position set up be?Suggestions?

I think the nfl.com is the best.With nfl.com the standard position set up,at least the one I did last year,is 1 qb,2rb,3wr,1 te,1k,1d and then 5/6 subs.I personally favour PPR and IDP,but not many people like IDP anyway,so I dont mind,but I think we should do PPR

what is IDP? i'd do PPR if its 16 man legue

IDP is Inidvidual Defensive Players.You pick out the cb and linebackers instead of picking a whole defense.I dont think we should do it,because someone can lose quickly if they dont have a good knowledge of the teams and players.Just to be safe,we shouldnt,although if the majority want it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,316 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

We used yahoo last year, didn't we? Found it fine. I played bothNFl and yahoo last year (various groups) and there's littl to seperate them

You can add me to any list of starters this year too

• Advertisement

im signed up and all that, but i have just realised i dunno what the hell people are talking about! i havent played an NFL fantasy league before so if someone could explain the ins and outs to me it wud be greatly appreciated, im really looking forward to it!

You draft players in a certain formation,like 1 qb,2 rb,2 wr,1 te,1 kicker and 1 def.Then you get points for touchdowns, yards, interceptions, sacks, recovered fumbles and all that stuff.

Its easy enough to get into.As running backs are at a premium, they usually go first even though quarterbacks get more points.Same with the top receivers like Moss, TO etc.

There is plenty of fantasy tools around the internet that you can get help from.

PPR is 1 point per reception.

I'd advise you to play the nfluk fantasy game when the season starts as it is simplistic as you just pick players each week.

YOu'll pick it up quick enough

If you have any questions,pm me.

Also,everyone should look at http://www.fantasyfootballcalculator.com/ as you can improve your drafting skills with live mock drafts.

I'd really advise for us to do a live mock draft

I say use team defences not IDP

I'd go Team D aswell. I would have no problem with IDP but there's a lot of people with very limited knowledge of individual defensive players so going IDP puts them at a pretty big disadvantage. thast being said i'd prob get Quentin Mikel last pick which would be sweet...

It'll be Team D/ST, which will mean every sack, fumble, interception, safety or recovered touchdown scored by any member of your defence will score points, in addition to any punt/kick-off returned touchdown.

Your defence will also start each game on 20 points, and depending on how many yards and points they concede, you will lose points from this initial tally. The points you score for interceptions, sacks etc. will then be added onto whatever you have left over.

So it's important to strike a balance between a hard hitting, big play defence and a stingy, effective defence.

How would we draft?Live or off line?i vote live

• Advertisement

Has to be live, the automated one is terrible.So much can go wrong

Amen

O.K. folks:

League Name The Official Boards Bowl
    League Type Private
    Draft Date July 01, 2008, 1:00 PM ET (That's 6p.m. our time)
    Draft Style Live Draft
    Member Count 1 of 12 needed to draft

Unfortunately I was only able to set up a 12 team league :(, but if there is interest over and above this number, we can set up a second league. Preference will be allocated to the order in which you registered your interest, after one week, if the first twelve haven't joined the league, I'll start moving down the list. Probably the fairest way to do it.

Can all registered participants can PM me their email addresses so I can forward you the invite

Good Luck!

Little help can't find the league?what site is it?

First round of invites sent, so if you didn't receive it please let me know. Also, make sure to check spam folders and such, it may go in there.

A few people have voiced concerns that the draft date is prior to pre-season games and may put people at a disadvantage if their players get banged up before the season starts. This would require me making a new league. I'm willing to do it if everyone is strongly opposed to such a scenario, but isn't part of being a coach taking gambles? Risking injuries in the pre-season? Having to compensate if your ace hits the DL?

We always have the draft as early as possible whenever I've played. Last year I was landed wit Mike Vick as my starting QB and I bounced back. I genuinely think it makes the whole thing more fun, and difficult, which is surely the idea ;)

• Advertisement

im happy to go along with whatever the common opinion is on when the draft is and that kind of stuff cuz i have never played an NFL fantasy football league before! i just hope i dont have a season ala the dolphins last year while im feeling my way around lol

5 teams have been confirmed so far

Tony Gonzalez 88 are in :cool:

Still haven't receiced an invite.

Why is there still one person missing in the league?

I'm still waiting for my invite there is issues with my e-mail so i got another.

Finally sorted it thanks for the patience

The Groups have been announced:

Central Division
    Waterford City Warriors
    Don's Dominators
    Igglephans
    The Klique

East Division
    Angry Ligers
    Tony Gonzalez 88
    Fightin Irish Freaks
    Purple People Eaters II

West Division
    Lahinch Legends
    eagleeye Patriots
    Zhukov's Zebus
    titan18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

LETS GO LIGERS!

Hey guys, not sure if I'm gonna be around for the live draft tonight. It starts at 1am my time and low and behold, I have my driving test tomorrow morning. I'll do my best but it looks unlikely.

I have ordered my picks and all that though so should be ok.

Yup i'm in Loas at the moment but have managed to find a decent netcafe and it starts at 11 pm here I think so I should be there for the first hour but it closes at 12...

• Advertisement
Advertisement