Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any point in buying?

Options
  • 13-05-2008 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi,

I have been trying to get my hands on a ford focus for a lil while now. I've only got up to €4000 to spend which is proving to be a lil tough to get one.
    My sister does a lot of work with a car dealer and she said they may be getting in a Ford Focus (99) in the next few days. Its got 94000 on the clock this is a bit higher than i would be willing to go for. They will sell it to me for around €2000-€2500 which i think is a good price even though the milage is high. I need this car to keep me going for about two years before i'd consider spending more on a car.

Do you think its worth buying?
    Would i be likely to experience a lot with this car?Haveing to replace parts etc?

Thanks in advance, :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Honestly...if you need the car to last about 2 years I wouldn't be touching a petrol focus(assuming?) with that many miles on it.

Heard too many bad things. Haven't experienced anything though so it's all hear say... but even still.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭Trampas

Thats not bad miles for a 9 year old car. Only around the 10,000 miles a year when you see what most people drive. I say the avg yearly mileage must be over 15,000 now

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A 1999 car is 9 years old remember. 94,000 miles is below average for a 9 year old car. Most 9 year old cars will have well in excess of this mileage on them at this stage, also €2,500 is cheap even for a 9 year old Focus.

I really think you are being too fussy with regards the mileage. Don't be so hung up on what the odometer reads, judge the car on condition and service history. Get a good mechanic to check the car out, if he says it is mechanically sound then I would go for it.

Also ask about the timing chain, I think Ford recommend they are changed at 100k miles so if it isn't done already then use it to get a further reduction on the price.

Advertisement