Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi + iPod

Options
  • 13-05-2008 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for an ipod dock for an audi a3 with a concert stereo...

Problem is, I'm looking for one that connects to the headphone socket on the ipod as opposed to actually docking. This way i should be able to use it with an ipod nano or shuffle or any other mp3 player.

Anyone done this before?

I'm sure I could always kick it back to cassette and get one of the tape adaptors but i'm looking for a more graceful solution... :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I ordered an adaptor that did that for my Golf, I'm pretty sure the same part would work on the Audi radio. It was a 3.5mm stereo jack (headphone jack) so it fit everything.

I got it off eBay, I got an alarm guy I knew to fit it. It plugged in where the CD changer should plug. Worked like a charm!

Depending on where you live/work, just call your local car alarm/radio shop and see if they can do it for you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

www.desnsion.com see if your head unit is compatible

What I had was more like this and it worked grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

AudiChris wrote: »
    What I had was more like this and it worked grand.

Great. Thanks chris

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭jeff lebowski

I haven't a clue about how you fit this.....although I'm sure it's not rocket science.

I have a 2006 A4 with the Audi DVD nav system, media etc. Could I use the connector in that link with my system? This is the one in the car: http://www.vagnavs.com/Audi2.html

Thanks

• Advertisement

It plugs into the block connector for the boot CD changer and fools the radio into thinking there's a CD changer attached. Will yoru DVD system take a CD Changer or is it multichanger on the dashboard?

We had one of these in the showroom for a while, but I can't picture it properly... sorry

I think it would take a multichanger as the drive behind the MMI system is DVD for the satnav disc. Where would I find the block connector?

I'm not definite, haven't done it myself. I would be 99% sure that if you pull the radio out of the dash you'll see the block connecter on the back of the radio.

This is what the audio system looks like: http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/blog2/20060927/A4_blog3-1159405252315-440_330.jpg

Don't think I could go taking that out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I'm looking for one for my 03 Allroad. It has navigation. The Dension ones seem best, but they're far from cheap. The basic kit for my car comes in close to €200. The advantage with the Dension is that you have the option to keep the CD changer (adapter at additional cost).

I'm still thinking about it. Might try one of the eBay kits to see if they work. They are a fraction of the cost.

• Advertisement

This is what the audio system looks like: http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/blog2/20060927/A4_blog3-1159405252315-440_330.jpg

Don't think I could go taking that out!

It's simple enough. If you look above your left/right scan button and also below the power button you'll see a horizontal slot. There should be a horizontal in each corner of the face of the radio.

Audi mechanics and most radio fitters will have a set of "clips" that hook into those slots and pull the radio forward. Once it's forward, you have full access to the back. Should be easy enough to cable from the back of the radio into the glovebox (or wherever you want your connection).

Update: Just spoke to our audio guy and he's pretty sure the Sat Nav system has already taken up any aux inputs on the back of your radio. He says it's worth pulling the radio out anyway just to double-check, but he's not too hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

AudiChris wrote: »
    Update: Just spoke to our audio guy and he's pretty sure the Sat Nav system has already taken up any aux inputs on the back of your radio. He says it's worth pulling the radio out anyway just to double-check, but he's not too hopeful.

I'm not sure it has. That's the latest Audi Nav system - RNS-E. It should have a port for the CD changer. That's what most (maybe all) of the Ipod kits use. Dension make one for your system. Not cheap though.

Advertisement