Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€50m rejected for Torres - Will Chelsea give it to Burma and/or China instead please

• 13-05-2008 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭

Liverpool have rejected €50m for Torres. Will Chelsea please make a donation to Burma, where many more than 30,000 people are dead and 1.5million are left suffering? Or even to China, where more than 12,500 people are dead and so many thousands more affected? I don't mind where they donate it. I'm not picky about that at all. Just please, somewhere; anywhere.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

god damn hippy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Sure, yeah why not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Will they **** as like...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Liverpool have rejected €50m for Torres. Will Chelsea please make a donation to Burma, where many more than 30,000 people are dead and 1.5million are left suffering? Or even to China, where more than 12,500 people are dead and so many thousands more affected? I don't mind where they donate it. I'm not picky about that at all. Just please, somewhere; anywhere.

And what are you doing to help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Sabotage wrote: »
    And what are you doing to help?

I'm a member of the Red Cross and organising a collection this week. And you?

• Advertisement

I'm a member of the Red Cross and organising a collection this week. And you?

I'm not the one asking for things to be done ... I dont care.

lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

china dont need and burma doesnt want it whats your problem jerk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Why should they, they're a business not a charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

DaveMcG wrote: »
    god damn hippy

+1

• Advertisement

I dont care.

Quoted for accuracy. Where's the old rolleyes when you need him?

I didn't post the original post to lecture godliness; it was more a reflection of what the fúck is wrong with the world. €50m rejected for one football player at the same time that such an amount could make such a difference to so many people's lives. Yes, I know that that's the society in which we live; that there are rich and there are poor; but no one gives a damn. It's someone else's problem. Out of sight, out of mind, huh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Burma, China? What about Longford, Leitrim, Louth and other Irish Counties that may or may not start with the letter L. Blokes like you make Pighead want to throw up the remains of his fried egg, sausage, bacon, mushrooms and toast breakfast.

"Oooooooh look at me I'm a bleeding heart liberal do gooder who's going to save the world. I'm going to start in the East and take it from there"

Trouble is you're announcing this goodwill deed whilst standing on an Irish junkies dead mans body.

To your left is a run down hospital who's doctors and nurses whisper to each other "But why is he starting in the East when he could start here?" To your right is Des F who utters "Fcuk China, support your local Eircom League team"

At a 45 degree angle to your left shoulder is a run down smelly old tramp who has just pissed himself in sadness upon hearing your shortsighted views.

Des F is right, Fcuk China, Save Ireland.

I didn't post the original post to lecture godliness; it was more a reflection of what the fúck is wrong with the world. €50m rejected for one football player at the same time that such an amount could make such a difference to so many people's lives. Yes, I know that that's the society in which we live; that there are rich and there are poor; but no one gives a damn. It's someone else's problem. Out of sight, out of mind, huh.
    Were you actually serious when asking the original question? Remember what forum this is...

Is anyone on the Burma-ese and/or Chinese team better than Torres?

Were you actually serious when asking the original question? Remember what forum this is...

Yeah because I expect Chelsea to (a) read Boards and (b) take into consideration what I (or anyone else) say. :pac:

No it was to point out the sick irony of this world; and the responses have justified that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

was this moved from afterhours or something?

edit; oh wait... this is AH. i got confused there.

Why not contact the clubs directly? Asking for them to donate it somewhere on this forum is like me standing in the jacks and whispering "Please dont post stupid threads".

Myth wrote:
    Is anyone on the Burma-ese and/or Chinese team better than Torres?
    Don't know, but offer the chinese government €50m for an equivalent player and they will give you one in 10 years time. Fact.

Yeah because I expect Chelsea to (a) read Boards and (b) take into consideration what I (or anyone else) say. :pac:

No it was to point out the sick irony of this world; and the responses have justified that.
    Listen here Little Miss Self Righteous Snotty Pants. Pighead will tell you whats sick and ironic. It's you sitting there in your new dungarees that you bought in Zara writing about how poor and sickly China is.

NEWSFLASH: Those horrible dungarees you are wearing wear made in a sweatshop in China by a 7 year old one armed boy called Yun Sic Lil Man.

Pigheads not gonna continue in debate with you until you take off those sweatshop dungarees. Hypocrite.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055269433

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

To hell with Burma, Leitrim, Longford and Tallaght. Give that €50 million to ME.

• Advertisement

Owned!

Pighead wrote: »
    NEWSFLASH: Those horrible dungarees you are wearing wear made in a sweatshop in China by a 7 year old one armed boy called Yun Sic Lil Man.

that should be a banning just for the sheer god awful attempt at humour.

*cringe*

Agamemnon wrote: »
    To hell with Burma, Leitrim, Longford and Tallaght. Give that €50 million to ME.
    Good idea. And when you receive said money, perhaps you could invest in my new puppy torturing business?

I'll get back to you when I figure out a way of making money from torturing puppies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Why? I sincerly doubt those folk can score like Torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

We should have a yawning smiley!

I wouldn't give any money to China, they kill beautiful animals for stupid grow a bigger willy type medicines

that should be a banning just for the sheer god awful attempt at humour.

*cringe*
    Why are you being so cruel and horrible to Pighead. This thread is about investing money into poverty hellholes like Longford and Leitrim yet you come in here and try to turn it into a "Pighead is a cunt" thread.

You've just ruined this thread for everybody. Pigheads off to get some sunshine, hope you're happy hotshot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Good idea. And when you receive said money, perhaps you could invest in my new puppy torturing business?

I'll get back to you when I figure out a way of making money from torturing puppies
    When Abramovich's cheque clears, I'll give you a million towards it. But if I don't see twice that back within a year, I'll feed you to the puppies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Pighead wrote: »
    Why are you being so cruel and horrible to Pighead. This thread is about investing money into poverty hellholes like Longford and Leitrim yet you come in here and try to turn it into a "Pighead is a cunt" thread.

You've just ruined this thread for everybody. Pigheads off to get some sunshine, hope you're happy hotshot.

Why are you always sticking up for this Pighead guy? What's he to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

(a) Burma has no history as a top class striker and (b) it wouldn't be possible to get in on the pitch (c) from what I've seen Burma is significantly slower than even Shevchenko

i think they should go for an established striker rather than trying to buy an asian country , particulalry those prone to natural disasters , its bad enough with Terry dislocating his elbow just before a champions league final but an earthquake or cyclone during such a crucual game would surely be very off putting for the rest of the chelsea squad and indeed the opposing players and all spectators.

I don't think the OP has really thought this out very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Ooh... aren't you all so cool with your cynicism.

The OP's right. The amount Premier League footballers get paid is unethical.

it's market forces, what are you ? a red commie ?

Yeah, that's what I am. Hail Mao Tse Tung.

Also, what other coloured commies are there?

Dudess wrote: »

since when have ethics and capitalism ever coincided?

What's to stop businessmen giving to charity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Why is it unethical?

Who says they don't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Nothing but then Chelsea aren't really a business or a club they are a whim of one disgustingly wealthy man. If you want to bother anyone bother Abramovich. He is literally made of money, Chelsea themselves and most other Premier League clubs don't actually have any money and most of their players are richer than them. The clubs need to invest crazy money in buying players to make crazy money in gate receipts and prize/tv money so that they can pay their ridiculously overpaid player so that they can break even.

Only Man U and Newcastle made a profit last year and United are up to their eyeballs in debt. Fcuk China and Fcuk the Burmese Junta they couldn't give a sh1te about their own people anyway. All the cash you give will go into the boys back pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I like cake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭markk06

Profit and shareholders stop businessmen donating to charity.

A chinese striker would really shake things up for chelsea but the management probably don't want the publicity storm associated with buying a Burma player...

woooo232 wrote: »
    Why is it unethical?
    It's unethical for one person to get £100,000 per week when most of it will just end up unused. But you know that's what my answer was gonna be. How is it not unethical?
    Who says they don't?
    They do. That's why the opening post was valid and didn't deserve to be ridiculed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

what premier league footballers get paid is a mere drop in the ocean compared to the likes of tiger woods ($100m per year), baseball players like Alex Rodriguez (who makes $30m on salary alone a year), NBA players like Kobe Bryant ($33 million a year), Shaq ($32m a year), boxers like Floyd Mayweather and Oscar De la Hoya ($43m per year)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Sherifu wrote: »
    I like cake.

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

It's unethical for one person to get £100,000 per week when most of it will just end up unused. But you know that's what my answer was gonna be. How is it not unethical?

uk footballers pay more than 40% of their income on tax though, so you could say footballers and especially foreign footballers playing in england are benefitting the UK economy with their wages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

They are paid that wage as set out in their contract for doing their job. They don't earn it illegally, they pay taxes, they don't break any laws and they don't harm anyone in earning that wage.
    I fail to see how it's anything but ethical

Unless by 'i think it's unethical' you mean 'It's sooo unfair, why won't people pay me that kind of money'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Why should they?

Why shouldn't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Don't make come up there! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Maybe when every business in the world gives money then I suppose Chelsea will.

Every other business that makes the kind of money Chelsea does should give donations, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

It's one thing to be cool and cynical, quite another to be monumentally naive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement