Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Encryption (laptops)

• 13-05-2008 12:57pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭

(I wasn't sure if this should go in the security of forum or not - mods feel free to move)

With all the talk of laptops disappearing recently, we (I!) are looking at ways for encrypting laptop drives.
    Does anyone know any good software for this (on XP & Vista)?
    Are they usually updateable products?

I know that most data should be stored on the network with VPN or whatever but its not always feasable so this is why we are covering our ass here.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Vista comes with Bit Locker which should help. Otherwise, NTFS can be encrypted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mehh

Pointsec seems to be industry standard, if you don't mind paying for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

feylya wrote: »
    Vista comes with Bit Locker which should help. Otherwise, NTFS can be encrypted.
    BitLocker Drive Encryption is a full disk encryption feature included with Microsoft's Windows Vista Ultimate, Windows Vista Enterprise and Windows Server 2008 operating system

Not all flavours of Vista

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

kbannon wrote: »
    (I wasn't sure if this should go in the security of forum or not - mods feel free to move)

With all the talk of laptops disappearing recently, we (I!) are looking at ways for encrypting laptop drives.
    Does anyone know any good software for this (on XP & Vista)?
    Are they usually updateable products?

I know that most data should be stored on the network with VPN or whatever but its not always feasable so this is why we are covering our ass here.

ROFL. :D I am going through the exact same thing. I have been asked to source encryption software for our laptops (me being the junior DBA, of course).

Safeboot and Credant were two that were recommended to me. I'm reading up on them at the moment.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

kaimera wrote: »
    Not all flavours of Vista
    I have Vista Business - no Bit Locker by default :(
    Tom Dunne wrote: »
    ROFL. :D I am going through the exact same thing. I have been asked to source encryption software for our laptops (me being the junior DBA, of course).

Safeboot and Credant were two that were recommended to me. I'm reading up on them at the moment.
    When you have finished reading, let me know which you have decided upon! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

kbannon wrote: »
    I have Vista Business - no Bit Locker by default :(

When you have finished reading, let me know which you have decided upon! :D

you could try
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/110396-bitlocker-enable-without-tpm.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ok it's not encryption, but you can set the a password on the hard drive in most laptop BIOS's. The data can still be read by data recovery people who mount the platters in a special machine.

www.truecrypt.org - free etc.

NTFS encryption - make your password recovery disk
    best to put on Xp service pack 3 / Vista service pack 1 first because there was something about encryption settingc changing on earlier realease ( if I could remember exactly what I'd post a link )

[edit] truecrypt can do full partitions now !
    # Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk.

# Encrypts an entire partition or storage device such as USB flash drive or hard drive.

# Encrypts a partition or drive where Windows is installed (pre-boot authentication).

# Encryption is automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent.

# Encryption algorithms: AES-256, Serpent, and Twofish. Mode of operation: XTS

Advertisement