Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

B. Ed or Degree in Early Childhood Education?

• 13-05-2008 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking for some advice here. I am 37 years old and this summer I resit my Higher Level Irish in an attempt to get a place as a mature student in Mary I.

I have been told however, that there is a 'back door' way of getting into Primary Teaching which is the Degree in Early Childhood Education. This course is available in Waterford (its now in its second year) and it would mean that I wouldnt have to up sticks for 3 years to Limerick and effectively leave the wife and kids in Waterford.

Is anyone aware of people teaching with this Early Childhood degree? Has anyone completed the course and gone on to do Primary Teaching? This course has been available in Cork for some years now.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated?

Colin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

I think I've heard of this alright.
    But if it's the one I'm thinking of, it will only allow you to teach in a special school or as a resource teacher.

There's a good website I know, where a lady by the name of Miriam answers questions like these daily, & I'd be confident she could tell you about this course.

If you don't know the site I'm talking about, you can PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Quinnmister26

I am in 2nd year Sligo IT doing Early Childhood Care and Education exactly like the one in UCC....I am also planning to use it as a back door to primary teaching!
    Once I am finished this course I plan to do the post graduate in primary teaching through Hibernia or the post grad in Mary I.
    My course currently is only an undergraduate to work in early childhood education, therefore I will only be qualified to work in crèches, early starts etc. You must do the post grad in Primary education after this course to be a qualified primary teacher.
    I hope this helps!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Hate to rain on your parade but jobs are exceptionally scare at primary level and if you are limited to a particular area, even more so. Could you survive financially on a few hours work for a few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Bear in mind as well that it is very hard to get into the postgrad in the training colleges. 9 applicants for every 1 place last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

zombie thread resurrection.

I sincerely hope Ramones has made a decision by now! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement