Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Failed

Options
  • 13-05-2008 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,
    My car failed NCT and reason was "Advanced corrosion" on Brake Pipe. Anyone having idea approximately how much it costs to get it replaced ??

cheers,
    Pinto

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Replacing metal brake lines can be a messy job. You might end up replacing a long length of line even if the corrosion is limited to a small section. I'd say you could be talking about a couple of hundred at an indy garage. You will need to bring to a garage to see what needs to be done before you'll know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

It depends how advanced the corrosion is... in the NCT test they won't scrape back the pipe and see, so it could be just surface rust....

What most people will do will sand the rust down, if its just surface rust paint the pipes with some anti corrosion paint... There's a few different types of paint you can use, i'm someone here will be able to advise....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

a rub of sand paper, and a spray of matt black

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

it could be quite cheap. most small garages can make up replacement lines, or you can get the sections from a dealer.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If it needs to be done thn it needs to be done so don't presume that a lick of paint is definitley the answer - get it looked at!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 pinto

Thanks Guys,

I have some idea now. Let me take it to the garage to get an idea. My worry about the sand/paint is that NCT guys might fail it again as they asked me to change the part...

cheers,
    Pinto

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

pinto wrote: »
    Thanks Guys,

I have some idea now. Let me take it to the garage to get an idea. My worry about the sand/paint is that NCT guys might fail it again as they asked me to change the part...

cheers,
    Pinto

TBH a retest would be the least of my worries if I knew I had corroding brake lines. Just get a new section in to replace the rotten area. It's not too expensive, and cheaper that possible brake failure :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

pinto wrote: »
    Thanks Guys,

cheers,
    Pinto

I'd be more worried about not being able to stop approaching a brick wall at 100kph.

Get it sorted FTW.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

...or just don't drive towards a brick wall at 100 km/h :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

kbannon wrote: »
    ...or just don't drive towards a brick wall at 100 km/h :D

:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement