Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too Posh to Push???

Options
  • 13-05-2008 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

okay, im only in the early 20's, and dont plan on having sprogs for a good while BUT im convinced that when the time comes there is no way ill be pushing em out, c section all the way for me.

people who are opting for the c section (out of choice and not necessity) take alot of criticism, and i just want to know what people think???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I'm a guy and as far as i'm concerned, fair play. you get the kid out whatever way ya can just leave me out of it :D

Why do you feel that way?
    How many children do you ideally want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Whatever way is safest and is best suited at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭dosed

i think *choosing* to have a C-section is stupid. why would you volunteer for all that extra pain and recovery time when you have a newborn to look after? and not being able to drive for 6 weeks! gah how annoying!

personally I would never want a C section because of all the added risks of surgary and the whole experience of it. not being able to hold the baby for long after its born etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭do you love it?

my bf agrees that its a good idea!! he watched a natural birth and doesnt want to see me in such pain....or to see my downstairs in pain!!!

i just dont want to split, stretch etc.
    ill happily live with the scar and the painful healing time.
    i dont plan on having to many....i suppose 2/3???if even???i really want to adopt also!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

That exact thread title was done in the parenting forum before, it's a big thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

Labour looks gruesome but I think it's preferable than having an operation unecessarily. I think all those celebrities have a lot to answer for as they make a c-section look like the easy option when in reality it's not when you take recovery times, lack of mobility, driving etc in to account. Most of us won't have a few nannies/nurses/cook/personal trainer etc at our beck and call. Just my 2c.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Whatever about the risks to yourself, you are also placing a risk to your baby having breathing problems such as transient tachypnea, whereby the baby hasn't had time to transition properly from the womb to the outside world. There are varying degrees of this syndrome which can be fatal in extreme circumstances.

dosed wrote: »
    i think *choosing* to have a C-section is stupid. why would you volunteer for all that extra pain and recovery time when you have a newborn to look after? and not being able to drive for 6 weeks! gah how annoying!

personally I would never want a C section because of all the added risks of surgary and the whole experience of it. not being able to hold the baby for long after its born etc.

well with paternity leave available these days looking after a newborn shouldnt be as hard as doing it solo.
    also, hired help could be an option.

listen being out of the driving seat for six week is not as bad as youd think, the exhaustion of a newborn wouldnt exactly entice your to be driving around...besides, tesco deliver to the door!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

delly wrote: »
    Whatever about the risks to yourself, you are also placing a risk to your baby having breathing problems such as transient tachypnea, whereby the baby hasn't had time to transition properly from the womb to the outside world. There are varying degrees of this syndrome which can be fatal in extreme circumstances.

Yes, I've heard of that. One contributing factor to breathing problems is that the fluid in the baby's lungs is squeezed out as the baby is pushed out of the womb, but in a C section, some fluid often remains as the baby's trunk isn't squeezed.

• Advertisement

before people start to get angry as i kinda sense it being a bit topical......its only my opinion and what i want to do, im not saying everyone should go out and do it cause its a personal choice!well, sometimes not but y'all get where im going with this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

well with paternity leave available these days looking after a newborn shouldnt be as hard as doing it solo.
    also, hired help could be an option.
    How much paternity leave do you think people get?

ill be honest....i dont know.
    thats why hired help is an option!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Paternity leave is something like 4 days I thought. Anything after that is unpaid or annual leave. Not 100% sure on the 4 days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

lol, you get around a week paternity leave...IF your company provides it, they don't have to and a lot don't.

So as well as the expense of a newborn you're going to take the cost of hired help on board as well? I don't think you've thought this out at all.

Really if your biggest concern around childbirth is avoiding a few stretch marks you're not thinking about the bigger picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Zeppie

Paternity leave in my company is 3 days only ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

I was watching the ch embarrasing bodies one on vaginas and oh dear god, Im terrified of ever having kids While the idea of doing it naturally would be ideal Id be left with no sex life, a fanny like a wizards sleeve and wetting/pooing myself involuntarily....Id imagine my other half would leave me ;)

Why would I scar my self permanently and prolong my recovery time from what is supposed to be a process my body was built for.
    Granted I will try everything in my power to give birth naturally but if it in the end a section is medically needed then I will have one.

I'm really hoping everything I do in preparation will help and also really wishing my mothers genes/luck will help in ths situation 3 kids in 5 years all born naturally and within four hours and she didn't have a stretch mark whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Why someone would want to have a C Section is beyond me.

I have had two vaginal deliverys with out pain relief and plan on having a 3rd, Its pain with a purpose girls.

A section is an operation, They actually cut you open to take your baby out.

I like the fact that after having my children I could get up and go for a shower. I would not liked to have been confined to a bed..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

my mom had 3 C-sections due to medical reasons, she hates absolutely hates the scarring.

• Advertisement

Puddleduck wrote: »
    I was watching the ch embarrasing bodies one on vaginas and oh dear god, Im terrified of ever having kids While the idea of doing it naturally would be ideal Id be left with no sex life, a fanny like a wizards sleeve and wetting/pooing myself involuntarily....Id imagine my other half would leave me ;)

there have been many women in my family who have suffered from the "wizzards sleeve", and also the splitting of the vagina can be extremely painful and took a long time for many of my relatives to heal....

the wetting and pooing involuntarily is another thing the natural birth has against it.

anyways, i believe it to be a personal choice....

then again, if you care that much about the stetched vagina, there is always surgery to tighten it......although i watched one on tv, and the doc only recommended it if it was severely stretched

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Well it is your choice. And you may even want to choose differently when you are pregnant.
    If you have a C-setion you will never be able to give birth naturally again. Apparently the mother bonds more with the child through childbirth, there are certain chemicals in the brain that are released during the ordeal. I for one would like to have that experience.

Having had a C-Section myself just 4 weeks ago due to my baby being in distress whilst I was in labour and I also find myself wondering why anyone would choose this.

I was stuck in bed afterwards unable to even get into a position to lift my baby out of the cot.

The 5 day stay in hospital afterwards was horrible.

I had to wait over 24 hrs before I was even able to go and have a shower.

I wouldn't ever opt for a section over natural birth, the other women in my ward were in much better positions then me. One woman had even given birth to a 10lb baby, no stitching, no complications and she was able to go home the next day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭jaykay74

There is no paternity leave. Its up to companies discretion. We get 1 day. not much help there I'm afraid. Usually blokes take a few days holidays to supplement.

thanks windsock, its been the nicest reaction so far (ie. i didnt feel like i was being talked at,rather talked to)
    anyway, it is a topical issue, people are bound to get touchy about it

WindSock wrote: »
    If you have a C-setion you will never be able to give birth naturally again..

This is untrue, I know several people whos first baby was born by section and they went on to have natural births on their 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Zeppie wrote: »
    This is untrue, I know several people whos first baby was born by section and they went on to have natural births on their 2nd.

I think less likely would be more accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

the splitting of the vagina can be extremely painful and took a long time for many of my relatives to heal....

the wetting and pooing involuntarily is another thing the natural birth has against it.

anyways, i believe it to be a personal choice....

It's a choice but I think you're not doing yourself any favours by relying on anecdotes to make it. Instead of listening to your relatives/friends and their experiences, which are biased, do some research and equip yourself with the relevant knowledge to make the decision.

While natural birth does come with the risk of wetting yourself, etc, a section has the risk of interfering with your bowel and bladder functions. The baby has a higher risk of respiratory problems and asthma. Most relevantly, you mention that you worry about pain, but in the long run, c sections are more painful- one of the articles below pointed out that pain is still an issue for 1 in 14 women six months after their section. I'm not deliberately trying to put you off, but I just want you to know that a c-section isn't an easy option at all- it carries a lot of risks and complications and if I was to undergo major surgery I know I'd want to be well informed about what I was getting into.

Here are some links to get you started:

C sections: what every woman needs to know
    Cesarean fact sheet.
    Fear a factor in surgical births
    Cesarean section: what you need to know.

• Advertisement

Gauge wrote: »
    It's a choice but I think you're not doing yourself any favours by relying on anecdotes to make it. Instead of listening to your relatives/friends and their experiences, which are biased, do some research and equip yourself with the relevant knowledge to make the decision.

While natural birth does come with the risk of wetting yourself, etc, a section has the risk of interfering with your bowel and bladder functions. The baby has a higher risk of respiratory problems and asthma. Most relevantly, you mention that you worry about pain, but in the long run, c sections are more painful- one of the articles below pointed out that pain is still an issue for 1 in 14 women six months after their section. I'm not deliberately trying to put you off, but I just want you to know that a c-section isn't an easy option at all- it carries a lot of risks and complications and if I was to undergo major surgery I know I'd want to be well informed about what I was getting into.

Here are some links to get you started:

C sections: what every woman needs to know
    Cesarean fact sheet.
    Fear a factor in surgical births
    Cesarean section: what you need to know.

thank you

Advertisement