Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too Posh to Push???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

This subject always makes me feel bad. I was born with a genetic disorder that effects my joints and tissues. Pregnancy and labor in particular can lead to death for me because my tissues tear and rupture very easily. My joints also dislocate easily, and with my hips being as hypermobile as they are, pushing a baby through them would not be good. So it's always been assumed that if I were to get pregnant, a c section would be the best way to proceed.
    Anyway, I just feel bad because so many women are so dead set about natural birth, the benefits of pushing the baby through the birth canal, how a c section is so much worse for your body, etc.. Whatever results in healthy baby + healthy mom is the best option, even if that means c section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭do you love it?

well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Back on my feet after 2/3 days
    or laid up with staples holding my abdominal musclies in for about 2 weeks and then not being albe to drive or lift anything for another 4/6 weeks.

Really I can't see anyone who knows the ins and outs of a c section opting for one with out real medical need

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I can see where you are coming from OP. To the uninitiated, a natural birth does seem undignified, painful and scary. But heres the thing: even at its very very worst (and believe me, I know) its not that bad. It ends, you recover. There is pain relief. Delivering a child is a joy however you do it. (Ive never had a c section, I know friends who did.)

As for the wizards sleeve, true your vagina will never look quite the same, but you wont remain permanently incontinent, you do tighten up (especially if you exercise your pelvic floor, which you should do anyway) and you will orgasm again!

I would never dictate to anyone what they do with their body, just don't make a choice based on a lack of information, or plain wrong information. Having a csection IS a big deal, its not like curing toothache. It too has downsides. You do end up very sore and incapacitated, and scarred. But thats not to say its the worst thing either, on a balance of needs you do whichever is best for you.

Oryx wrote: »
    As for the wizards sleeve, true your vagina will never look quite the same,

Umm I really shouldn't ask this....but what exactly changes?

• Advertisement

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Umm I really shouldn't ask this....but what exactly changes?
    Having only ever seen my own I cant really comment on anyone but me. :) Things can look less 'neat'*. But before you cross your legs in horror, it all works damn well, thank you. ;)

*My favourite description, which Ive mentioned on here before, was from a comedy routine. A post birth vagina was described as a badly packed kebab. Which just about sums it up.:)

Its a reference ( albeit a crude and exaggerated one ) to the changes to the vulva when a woman has had an episiotomy.

http://video.about.com/pregnancy/What-is-an-Episiotomy-.htm

http://www.medicinenet.com/episiotomy/article.htm
    What is an episiotomy?

An episiotomy is an incision performed between the vagina and the rectum that is used to increase the opening of the vagina to assist in delivery of a baby.

How is an episiotomy done?

The usual cut (incision) for an episiotomy goes straight down and typically does not involve the muscles around the rectum or the rectum itself.

What are the advantages of an episiotomy?

An episiotomy can decrease the amount of pushing the mother must do during delivery. It can also decrease trauma to the vaginal tissues and expedite delivery of the baby when delivery is necessary quickly.

How is an episiotomy repaired?

The repair is straightforward and is fairly simple to perform. The incision is repaired by suturing (sewing) the wound together.

What are complications of an episiotomy?

Episiotomy can be associated with extensions or tears into the muscle of the rectum or even the rectum itself. Other complications include bleeding, infection, swelling and local pain.

It is important to note that if the baby needs to be delivered more urgently, then waiting for the mother to push it out without the assistance of an episiotomy may cause harm to the fetus. Also, there are some tears that occur when no incision is made that are very difficult to repair and cause greater blood loss than might otherwise occur.

What is the healing time for an episiotomy?

The typical healing time for an episiotomy is around 4 to 6 weeks depending on the size of the incision and the type of suture material used to close the wound.

I had to have an episiotomy when delivering each of my two kids.
    I got cut one side and then next time around the other.
    Yes it does leave behing some scar tissue when it heals but really pregnecy strech marks on my tummy was a bigger change.
    Tearing would have been a worse option and would take longer to heal.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Yes it does leave behing some scar tissue when it heals but really pregnecy strech marks on my tummy was a bigger change.
    I know were wandering mildly off topic here, but I didnt have an episiotomy, even though strictly speaking it was medically required with my first. (Vacuum delivery). There are two schools of thought on episiotomy, one that feels it is the easier option, and the one I went with which is that the tear will occur in the most natural place, as opposed to an unnatural cut. I healed quickly and without problems, thankfully. Again, its down to a personal choice based on information available and your own needs and feelings.

And yes the kebab thing is exaggerated, but I think its funny, and pregnancy and birth are an area where a sense of humour can help get you through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

my bf agrees that its a good idea!! he watched a natural birth and doesnt want to see me in such pain....or to see my downstairs in pain!!!
    /QUOTE]

yea those things look nasty.how anyone could sit there for 9 months, looking forward to the worst pain of their life, and being loose as a goose for the rest of their life is beyond me.

towel401 wrote: »
    yea those things look nasty.how anyone could sit there for 9 months, looking forward to the worst pain of their life, and being loose as a goose for the rest of their life is beyond me.
    Probably because pregnant women generally dont do that. Loose as a goose for the rest of your life? Dont be silly. :)

• Advertisement

Puddleduck wrote: »
    a fanny like a wizards sleeve

hahahahaha that made me lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I sort of feel that medical procedures should only be performed when necessary. *shrugs*

Those fecking mooncups say that women over 30 and women who have children take the same size.
    Something to do with muscle tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

omg, a badly stuffed kebab????

Thats it, Im never having kids. Ill get cats instead

omg, a badly stuffed kebab????

Thats it, Im never having kids. Ill get cats instead

yay!! cats ftw. at least they do something useful like eating mice.

Trust me by month 7 you can't wait to be not preggers any more and when you go full term or over due you just want the baby out.

You end up usually in a lot more pain after a c section.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I think people don't have a clue what they're talking about when they say blatantly that they want a c-section. They're cutting open your womb! Basically its unnecessary surgery

Its all come down to vanity. Same why women won't breast feed. Its better for the baby, but who cares about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

I thought breastfeeding is good for helping to get your figure back and stop the boobs from sagging??

I think messing up the plumbing and risking lookin messed up down there is what alot of women worry about

/cries

That vid coupled with the baby sick/apple rice goo I got on me earlier while babysitting = no coolsmileybabies for a while yet maybe until i get really ok with all stuff that goes along with them
    I love handing them back too much sometimes
    sorry joe!
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    Its a reference ( albeit a crude and exaggerated one ) to the changes to the vulva when a woman has had an episiotomy.

http://video.about.com/pregnancy/What-is-an-Episiotomy-.htm

http://www.medicinenet.com/episiotomy/article.htm

I thought breastfeeding is good for helping to get your figure back and stop the boobs from sagging??

I think messing up the plumbing and risking lookin messed up down there is what alot of women worry about

Exactly but having said that I agree with the breastfeeding 10000%
    the woman whose kids I mind, only after 4 and a half months she has a better figure than me through breastfeeding :)

NSFW water birth is what I want all the way http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncranxBo-AI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Snowdrop

Well I think everyone is entitled to the type of birth they want. I have had one vaginal delivery and two emergency c-sections. I found that there was no real difference in how quickly I recovered afterwards and I probably had more problems resulting from the vaginal birth. The scar from the sections has healed very well and is not nearly as obvious as it was. My only advice would be to consider a general anaesthetic instead of a local one. They will bring you back around very quickly. You do have to stay in hospital for five days though afterwards and once you have had two sections, future births will have to be by section also.

• Advertisement

It does help get your figur back by causing the womb to contract and it uses up fat.

As for things looking different, well most men look at the fire place when poking the fire and not the grate.

Very few places in this country do waterbirths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I don't really care what way anyone has their baby. personal INFORMED choice FTW!

BUT, we should really deal in facts here.
    delly wrote: »
    Whatever about the risks to yourself, you are also placing a risk to your baby having breathing problems such as transient tachypnea, whereby the baby hasn't had time to transition properly from the womb to the outside world. There are varying degrees of this syndrome which can be fatal in extreme circumstances.

Transient tachypnoea of the newborn is common after c-sections. It's also common after vaginal delivery, but it still happens reasonably often. It's one of the main reasons for babies being admitted to neonatal units.

It should not be fatal. It is named transient tachypnoea of the newborn because it's transient ie it comes and then goes away.

We need to accept that it's a risk, and can lead to a kiddy having to stay in hospital for a bit. It can also mean the kiddy needs a drip and intravenous fluids, aswell as some healp with their breathing. But we shouldn't be terrifying poor mums who are having c-sections!
    WindSock wrote: »
    If you have a C-setion you will never be able to give birth naturally again. Apparently the mother bonds more with the child through childbirth, there are certain chemicals in the brain that are released during the ordeal. I for one would like to have that experience.

You can have a vaginal delivery after a c-section. I think it's only if you haven't had more than one c-section, though. I'm not 100% sure about the rules. I was at one the other day, as the kiddy ran into a spot of bother.

Also, there's no real evidence that mums bond better with babies after normal vaginal deliveries. The same gets said about breastfeeding mums, too. These "facts" are usually taken from poorly conducted, poorly controlled studies.

I was reading a patient information leaflet the other day about how breastfeeding mums bond better with their babies. The study they were referring to was performed in 1977, and was so bad that it should never have been published.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

tallaght01 wrote: »
    I don't really care what way anyone has their baby. personal INFORMED choice FTW!

BUT, we should really deal in facts here.

Transient tachypnoea of the newborn is common after c-sections. It's also common after vaginal delivery, but it still happens reasonably often. It's one of the main reasons for babies being admitted to neonatal units.

It should not be fatal. It is named transient tachypnoea of the newborn because it's transient ie it comes and then goes away.

We need to accept that it's a risk, and can lead to a kiddy having to stay in hospital for a bit. It can also mean the kiddy needs a drip and intravenous fluids, aswell as some healp with their breathing. But we shouldn't be terrifying poor mums who are having c-sections!

My one year old daughter who was not delivered from a C-section although its more prevalent with C sections started to display symptoms of transient tachypnoea of the newborn (TTN) at 6 hours post delivery. Soon after this she was seen by the oncall NICU doctor and was subsequently admitted to the NICU. At 9 hours post delivery breathing became increasingly difficult with the result that both lungs collapsed. At this point my daughter was sedated and intubated. After this was completed she had two chest drains inserted to deal with the fluid from the burst lungs. Over the next 24 hours the NICU team did not hold out much hope of survival and a third chest drain had to be inserted. At the 48 hour mark still no guarantees could be given due to the spiralling blood gas results. At day 4 she rallied and made a slow recover which resulted in her breathing tube being removed after a week. Upon discharge I was told by many of the NICU team that we were very lucky to have come through this. FACT!

Now if this was how close we came to losing my daughter with a regular delivery, I can only think what situation I'd be in if she was delivered by a C section. I said it can be fatal in extreme circumstances as that was what we had and gave no indication that it was a common result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

ill be honest....i dont know.
    thats why hired help is an option!

Hired help:confused:what planet r ya on:D:D

It would have to be a hell of an extreme case, as the definition of TTN involves there being no mortality from it!

Burst or collapsed lungs, however, affect up to 10% of newborns. It's nothing to do with their TTN, though.

I'm not aware of there ever having been a death from TTN. Having said that, there may have been somehwere sometime. But, it would be the extremes of extreme.

Now hyaline membrane disease is another story...that gives you intubated kids with chest drains. But it's unrelated to c-section.

No point in getting into an argument about it, but let's accept that dying from TTN shouldn't be a big factor in making decisions about c-sections.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

tallaght01 wrote: »
    No point in getting into an argument about it, but let's accept that dying from TTN shouldn't be a big factor in making decisions about c-sections.

Ok, maybe not dying from it, but TTN itself should be considered.

Totally agree,Delly.

I always tell people about TTN if they ask me about sections.

The weird thing about TTN is not the illness itself, even though TTN is what I always tell them about. The problem with TTN lies in the fact that it's difficult to distinguish from other more serious illnesses. So, what happens is that you get a baby who's struggling to breathe...you know it's likely just TTN. But you can't be certain it's not a nasty infection...so you pop a drip in and you start the standard 48 hours of intravenous antibiotics, just in case.

TTN is truly an almighty pain in the arse :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Having a C Section is Major Surgery and should not be taken lightly i have had 3 C Sections, The first one was an emergency the other 2 were elective I have a small pelvis so its impossible for me to give birth the proper way! its compleatly screws up your tummy and if i could off i would have loved to gave birth the proper way! Above my scar its numb no matter how many sit ups i do my tummy still F88ked and by the way how old are you OP ?

/cries

NSFW water birth is what I want all the way http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncranxBo-AI

a truly gruesome video, even without the sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

ahhh this thread just reminds me of why I never ever intent to have kids. wizards sleeves versus 6 weeks incapacitated and a big scar...neither thanks eek

Advertisement