Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too Posh to Push???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

towel401 wrote: »
    a truly gruesome video, even without the sound.

I didnt think it was that bad. Looked a bit awkward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Puddleduck wrote: »
    I didnt think it was that bad. Looked a bit awkward.

the bit wehre they pulled the thing out was quite bad. the rest was just a lot of pushing and the wizard sleeve slowly getting wider

the bit wehre they pulled the thing out was quite bad. the rest was just a lot of pushing and the wizard sleeve slowly getting wider

Yeh, but shes young, shell just spring back into place.

Ah it didnt look so bad, the baby looked a bit cheesy, thats all

Yeh, but shes young, shell just spring back into place.

Ah it didnt look so bad, the baby looked a bit cheesy, thats all

maybe if you're into the whole babies/pushing thing and you're used to it. my views are biased though. i hate babies. i cant even watch an animal give birth

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

maybe if you're into the whole babies/pushing thing and you're used to it. my views are biased though. i hate babies. i cant even watch an animal give birth
    Towel, can I ask what age you are, because you sound very young?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Can people please knock off this stupid wizard sleeve crap. It's really annoying (and immature to a degree), especially with people using it in reference to the vagina during the actual birth- it has to stretch wide enough to get a baby out, it doesn't stay that way forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I grew up watching Star Trek. If it's good enough for Picard, Kirk, etc...then it's good enough for me. I intend to deliver via a transporter type device, baby will be beamed into my waiting arms.

If science and technology haven't caught up with my Trek inspired day dreams, then i guess i'll give birth the traditional way (unless medically needed, usual disclaimers, etc..)

My understanding of planned c-sections is that the mother is conscious, and there's some kind of local anasthetic. There is no way i'd ever choose to be awake while someone was poking around inside my abdomen - i'd imagine it's a very strange sensation.

Oryx wrote: »
    Towel, can I ask what age you are, because you sound very young?

guess

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

guess

i would say 16-17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

I think women should choose whatever they think will suit them and their baby best. Honestly, I think I'd prefer a c-section but I'd research it first and ask for medical advice. The pain, the indignity and general horror in natural childbirth is something I'd like to avoid!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭do you love it?

Faerie wrote: »
    I think women should choose whatever they think will suit them and their baby best. Honestly, I think I'd prefer a c-section but I'd research it first and ask for medical advice. The pain, the indignity and general horror in natural childbirth is something I'd like to avoid!

+1

irishbird wrote: »
    i would say 16-17

20. you're not far off though

i was in the states last year and this guy thought i was 14 :cool:

and I realise that hating babies is not a very popular point of view. most people love them but unfortunately I don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Loose as a goose is a lot of nonsense.
    Infact if a woman works her muscle one and does the pelvic floor excerises she can end up tighter then before gave birth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 daisychain

Faerie wrote: »

I thought the same. When I was pregnant on my first (at 19) I wanted a c-section. End of story, I was not doing THAT. But I knew I wouldn't get a section unless I had a medical reason so I was trying to think up lies to tell the consultant so I'd have to get a section. In the end I gave birth vaginally, I was induced so I got an epidural before I ever got a contraction. It was like it was all happening to someone else really, I didn't feel a thing. Ok the pushing was hard work but I was well rested because I got my epidural around 5 o'clock and more or less slept through til 1am when it was time to push. I tore fairly badly but they gave me a proper good stitching up, it was like being a virgin all over again :D

I had my second last year, all 9lbs 2oz of him, no epidural this time just some of that brilliant stuff they call laughing gas, I would highly recommend it. But then I haven't had a section so I can't compare the 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

farie im with you. i always said i would go with a c section but when my best mate told me it takes weeks to get over the pain i was like right...maybe not for me. i want to be drugged up to the eye balls then to get my baby out. i don't mind about the site of me. id put up with that any day it's the pain im worried about. ive a very low pain thrushold. and after my o/h saw the pain i was in last year with my last kidney infection don't think he would be that quesy. so if he ends up being my kids father any time it should be all good:)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MLE

I wouldn't recommend c-sections at all. I've had two emergency sections, where I did the full labour (pushing etc) on both before ending up with a section each time. The recovery with both took a very long time. You are in pain for many weeks and can have numbness around your section wound for up to a year.

I got a bad infection on my first section and the wound opened up and ended up back in hospital for a further 4 days on an iv drip.

On the second section they said that my womb was very scarred from the infection on the first section and because of that they took over an hour and a half to sow me back up.

I was on 4 antibiotics in the first 9 weeks of my second section for infections (minor compared with the first). It took 12 weeks before the wound stopped bleeding.

I know not everyone have these problems, but to choose to put yourselves through a section is very naive.

20. you're not far off though

i was in the states last year and this guy thought i was 14 :cool:

and I realise that hating babies is not a very popular point of view. most people love them but unfortunately I don't.

not really personally i hate babies but if i found myself in the very unlikely position where i was pregnant i wouldnt be option for section, have seen my friends go through both natural and sections, there is no in hell i would choose a section

I worked with a girl who had to have a section, I think it was putting too much pressure on the mothers heart or something and she said that when they were in there getting the baby out she said it felt so weird, she could feel it, but there was no pain, and she refused to look down, as did the father :pac:

Why is a water birth not possible in ireland? Could you not do it at home with a midwife? Think that would be the way Id do it, limit the amount of people down there...but can midwifes stitch you up or do you have to go to the hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

About the water birth thing...

hypno birthing is available in Drogheda and Cavan hospitals in the mid wifery led units.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Why is a water birth not possible in ireland? Could you not do it at home with a midwife? Think that would be the way Id do it, limit the amount of people down there...but can midwifes stitch you up or do you have to go to the hospital

very few GP's will sign off on a home birth - nothing stopping someone having one but your GP might very well refuse to see you as a patient if you do due to the risk of something going wrong and their ass getting sued for malpractice

• Advertisement

ztoical wrote: »
    very few GP's will sign off on a home birth - nothing stopping someone having one but your GP might very well refuse to see you as a patient if you do due to the risk of something going wrong and their ass getting sued for malpractice

Thats ridiculous!!! If you have a midwife and something goes wrong, you have to go to hospital!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Elective C- section is not for everyone but it's certainly what I would choose. Luckily I have a friend who has been through it ( elective not emergency) so I know all the lies and stories I have to tell in order to be allowed one here in Ireland. It also helped her that she was a barrister.

And another friend had to have elective c- section for medical reasons, (She'd had major bowel surgery in the past).

Anyway both had positive empowering experiences. I can't imagine anything more soothing about childbirth than knowing it was all going to happen to a schedule of your choosing ( barring early delivery or complications). Neither thought anything of the scar ( I looked, it was skinny and low down) and both recovered quickly.

Emergency sections are another story and put the horror into childbirth for me.

I also like my vagina as is and don't care what nature intended. Nature is a bitch to woman ( stupid periods and all).:D

So that's my 10cents.

Grawns wrote: »
    I also like my vagina as is and don't care what nature intended. Nature is a bitch to woman ( stupid periods and all).:D

So that's my 10cents.

I like your style. When God gives you lemons, you FIND A NEW GOD!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I have no kids.

I have no desire to have any at any time soon.

But I can't bear the idea of pushing out a child while lying on my back. I'd far rather be squatting or be on all fours. I'd feel in better control of my breathing and my muscles.

I've read that birth on your back is apparently a position designed to give the doctor or midwife the best view of what's going on, and not actually the best position to manage birth from the mother's point of view.

C-section, no thanks. I've a friend who had a c-section not three weeks ago. Not quite elective, but not quite emergency - they caught her very early before labour had really started, and decided a c-section was the best idea for medical reasons. After an extremely difficult first birth, she reckons the recovery time on her second, the c-section, has been shorter.

The worst is truly women who go through labour and due to complications have to have a caesar. I have another friend who described it as 'Try doing sit ups for 24 hours, then have somebody slice through those muscles.' She was weeks recovering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Elective C- section is not for everyone but it's certainly what I would choose. Luckily I have a friend who has been through it ( elective not emergency) so I know all the lies and stories I have to tell in order to be allowed one here in Ireland.

Should the maternity health care system adjust to the fact that women want to have a c-section, and provide them on demand? I wondering this as the current situation of women lying to their health care people doesn't seem to me to be starting the process on the best foot.

If i go to a plastic surgeon (and have the cash) i can get all sorts of procedures performed under a general anaesthetic, for reasons no other than 'i want'.

So, why can't women who have researched the subject, considered it in consultation with the father-to-be (if he's on the scene), and are adults ffs request a c-section because 'they want'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭do you love it?

Elective C- section is not for everyone but it's certainly what I would choose. Luckily I have a friend who has been through it ( elective not emergency) so I know all the lies and stories I have to tell in order to be allowed one here in Ireland. It also helped her that she was a barrister.

And another friend had to have elective c- section for medical reasons, (She'd had major bowel surgery in the past).

Anyway both had positive empowering experiences. I can't imagine anything more soothing about childbirth than knowing it was all going to happen to a schedule of your choosing ( barring early delivery or complications). Neither thought anything of the scar ( I looked, it was skinny and low down) and both recovered quickly.

Emergency sections are another story and put the horror into childbirth for me.

So that's my 10cents.
    +1

Why is a water birth not possible in ireland?

my friend had a water birth in Drogheda hospital

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0508/ecclesh.html
    Inquest told of water birth death
    Tuesday, 8 May 2007 16:39

An inquest has opened into the death of a new born baby in a birthing pool at Cavan General Hospital.

The court heard how Harry Eccles had inhaled water during labour and died shortly after birth in February of last year.

Dr Peter Kelehan, pathologist, said the baby died from what he described as 'acute near drowning'.
    Advertisement

Giving evidence, a midwife said the baby had breathing difficulties after being delivered. He was transferred to the National Maternity Hospital in Holles Street where he died a short time later.

The court heard how he had suffered brain damage.

Harry's mother Gina Eccles, 22, from Virginia in Cavan, was in court with her mother and other family members.

After the death, an internal inquiry carried out by the Health Service Executive found no cause for concern with the care provided during pregnancy, labour and birth.

The HSE also commissioned an external review of the use of birthing pools. The report by independent British consultants noted that there were no national standards for water births in the Republic and called for extra support for midwives.

However, it found that existing protocols among hospital staff at Cavan General Hospital were of a high standard. The consultants also recommended the resumption of water births.

However, the use of birthing pools during labour has been suspended at both Cavan General Hospital and Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda. These two centres are among the first in the country to offer such a service to pregnant women.

Around ten births have taken place in birthing pools at Cavan General Hospital since their introduction in 2004.

The inquest has been adjourned until 27 July, to enable lawyers for the hospital gather independent expert advice on the findings of the pathologist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

cuckoo wrote: »
    Should the maternity health care system adjust to the fact that women want to have a c-section, and provide them on demand? I wondering this as the current situation of women lying to their health care people doesn't seem to me to be starting the process on the best foot.

If i go to a plastic surgeon (and have the cash) i can get all sorts of procedures performed under a general anaesthetic, for reasons no other than 'i want'.

So, why can't women who have researched the subject, considered it in consultation with the father-to-be (if he's on the scene), and are adults ffs request a c-section because 'they want'?

Because we live in crazy catholic ireland where all the maternity hospitals are run according to church ethos. That's why! It's a stupid situation especially given the increasing numbers giving birth in Ireland.

ps. I think ( am not sure will have to check) another benefit of the elective section is you don't have to hang around the general delivery ward waiting to give birth with a load of other women and their partners etc. You turn up as per your appointment and voila.

• Advertisement

The threat of MRSA in manky Irish hospitals is enough to put me off being unnecessarily cut open for a C-section.

Advertisement