Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too Posh to Push???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

The threat of MRSA in manky Irish hospitals is enough to put me off being unnecessarily cut open for a C-section.

Good point! but they might cut you anyway, episitotomy

Grawns wrote: »
    Good point! but they might cut you anyway, episitotomy

True, but I won't be electing for it!
    'Necessary' is the word here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

If you visit a woman the day after a natural birth, she's smiling, walking around and recovering.

If you visit a woman the day after a c-section, she's sore, immobile, and facing a long recouperation.

I know which I'd prefer - they're meant to come out the regular exit for a reason, just do your Keigels afterwards and you're fine. Come out the sunroof and the scar is there forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

If you visit a woman the day after a natural birth, she's smiling, walking around and recovering.

If you visit a woman the day after a c-section, she's sore, immobile, and facing a long recouperation.

I know which I'd prefer - they're meant to come out the regular exit for a reason, just do your Keigels afterwards and you're fine. Come out the sunroof and the scar is there forever.

Jaysus, dont know what naturalbirthwomen you know but they aint the same ones I know.

Most c-section patients have also spent ages ( sometimes days) trying to deliver naturally and ended up with an emergency section. Of course they are in bits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

cuckoo wrote: »
    Should the maternity health care system adjust to the fact that women want to have a c-section, and provide them on demand? I wondering this as the current situation of women lying to their health care people doesn't seem to me to be starting the process on the best foot.

If i go to a plastic surgeon (and have the cash) i can get all sorts of procedures performed under a general anaesthetic, for reasons no other than 'i want'.

So, why can't women who have researched the subject, considered it in consultation with the father-to-be (if he's on the scene), and are adults ffs request a c-section because 'they want'?

I guess it should be an option. It is in other parts of the world. When I worked in the UK they certainly did elective c-sections on women who were too scared to deliver vaginally. As long as you know the risks, then I think you should be allowed go for it.
    ztoical wrote: »
    very few GP's will sign off on a home birth - nothing stopping someone having one but your GP might very well refuse to see you as a patient if you do due to the risk of something going wrong and their ass getting sued for malpractice
    Puddleduck wrote: »
    Thats ridiculous!!! If you have a midwife and something goes wrong, you have to go to hospital!!

I think the problem is that in Ireland and the UK, homebirths aren't particularly safe, as there's no obstetrics flying squads that can get to you in an emergency, like there are in continental Europe. People certainly do homebirths in the UK privately. But these sound very very dodgy to me. Labour usually goes very smoothly. But when it doesn't, minutes can make the difference. I've even been called to waterbirths in midwife led units to help the babies!!! There are no guarantees in childbirth.

There's a very good blogger in the UK who's a GP with some involvement in maternity services, and he's having a lot of argy-bargy about homebirths if anyone is interested in reading it...it's scary stuff.

http://nhsblogdoc.blogspot.com/2008_04_01_archive.html

http://nhsblogdoc.blogspot.com/2008/05/freedom-of-speech-internet-is-not-going.html

http://nhsblogdoc.blogspot.com/2008/05/rowan-pelling-and-white-witch.html

The comments sections in each of these posts makes for some good reading, with a lot of opposing views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Grawns wrote: »
    Most c-section patients have also spent ages ( sometimes days) trying to deliver naturally and ended up with an emergency section. Of course they are in bits.

Compleatly been there done that bought the t shirt !! My first birth was like that stuck on 3cm for what felt like years only for her lady ship to go in to distress and down to theather for emergency C section!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

A friend of mine's baby got mrsa on his umbilical stump in Holles Street there about 3 months ago. Dsgusting. She vowed never to step a foot in Holles Street again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

I honestly find this thread a little ridiculous.

Who cares what way baby got into the world as long as mum and baby are ok?

In all honesty, who here on hearing that a friend, family member or aquanintance has had a baby the first question you ask is 'well, did she have a c-section or viginal birth?'? Or is the first question on your lips 'how are mum and baby?'? That's what I ask. I'm more concerned about whether mum and baby are healthy and safe. In our family, there have been cases when mum or baby may not of been ok. The last thing anyone was concerned about was whether a c-section was the method used or not.

It seems how women bring a baby in to the world is another stick that society chooses to judge women on.

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

LadyE wrote: »
    A friend of mine's baby got mrsa on his umbilical stump in Holles Street there about 3 months ago. Dsgusting. She vowed never to step a foot in Holles Street again.

I had my 3 in The Coombe and personally i could not have found a better hospital they were super in there!!

• Advertisement

b3t4 wrote: »
    I honestly find this thread a little ridiculous.

Who cares what way baby got into the world as long as mum and baby are ok?

In all honesty, who here on hearing that a friend, family member or aquanintance has had a baby the first question you ask is 'well, did she have a c-section or viginal birth?'? Or is the first question on your lips 'how are mum and baby?'? That's what I ask. I'm more concerned about whether mum and baby are healthy and safe. In our family, there have been cases when mum or baby may not of been ok. The last thing anyone was concerned about was whether a c-section was the method used or not.

It seems how women bring a baby in to the world is another stick that society chooses to judge women on.

A.

If only everyone was as enlightened as you :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭ozchick

okay, im only in the early 20's, and dont plan on having sprogs for a good while BUT im convinced that when the time comes there is no way ill be pushing em out, c section all the way for me.

people who are opting for the c section (out of choice and not necessity) take alot of criticism, and i just want to know what people think???

I think your age says a lot about your attitude ;)

Why would you want your stomach cut open, risk of infection and adhesions etc etc when you could have a baby naturally? There are drugs available you know! Do your research on c-sections, especially from midwives as you will discover there are a lot more risks, especially with mutliples.

If you want an easy, simple, pain free birth, then I'm thinking motherhood may not be for you! The next 20 years are 'pain' in it's various forms:D

I had 3 natural, no way would I want to have a c-section! First induced, 6 hour labour, 2nd 2 hour labour, no drugs and third was 2 hours, only drugs for forceps to get the boofhead out!!

I think the whole birth experience is an amazing part of the journey and being a mum. I guess there is no way of explaining the satisfaction of birthing your own child to someone who hasn't experienced it.

I'm sure you may think differently in years to come, I hope so, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

I'd never have a c-section unless it was medically necessary; it's far too dangerous for the baby. I'm not surprised mothers who choose an unnecessary section are criticised; I think it's very selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭Karen_*

I had a natural birth and I wasn't walking for a couple of weeks and I certainly wasn't smiling. I couldn't laugh or cough with the amount of stitches I had. I had a horrendous labour and birth and if I ever dared to do it again it would be only on the guarantee of having a caesarean. Besides how painful and traumatic it was for me, my baby's hearbeat started to slow down and they couldn't get him out for ages. He could have been braindamaged if it went on any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

irishbird wrote: »
    not really personally i hate babies

me too but of course its not PC to say it. I get a lot of 'oh you will change your mind' sh!te when I say I dont want kids.

I do think women should be able to chosse to have a C section. Its the womans body and the womans choice, its time they treated women as adults. As someone else mentioned you can get plastic sugrey if you want so you shoul dget a c section if you want especially in the private sector where you are paying a hell of a lot to go private in the first place

Surely with hospitals having to turn away women as they are too full, it woul dmake more sense to allow elective c sections? It would mean women could book in their section and the hospital could plan resources a bit better and have less emergency cases coming in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

I do think women should be able to chosse to have a C section. Its the womans body and the womans choice, its time they treated women as adults. As someone else mentioned you can get plastic sugrey if you want so you shoul dget a c section if you want especially in the private sector where you are paying a hell of a lot to go private in the first place

Because its not just your own life your risking, its the babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Redpunto wrote: »

C section is just as safe as a vaginal birth, especially if it's planned. It's easy to think of c sections as being more dangerous because most are emergency, when a woman has tried the vaginal way and problems arose.
    As I stated earlier, I intend on having a planned c section if I ever get pregnant because ultimately it's what's safest for me, and that in turn is also what's safest for my baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Then, to play Devil's advocate out-on-a-limb, why aren't the same hospitals and health care professionals forming vigilante packs and roaming the streets to stop pregnant women smoking and drinking? Should pregnant women be herded together in special holding pens, given the correct amount of exercise daily and the right diet - for the babies' sakes?

If a woman has a strong fear of vaginal birth, but is forced into going through with it by the current system - could that affect her subsequent relationship with the baby? Does it have an impact on post natal depression rates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

me too but of course its not PC to say it. I get a lot of 'oh you will change your mind' sh!te when I say I dont want kids.

Surely with hospitals having to turn away women as they are too full, it woul dmake more sense to allow elective c sections? It would mean women could book in their section and the hospital could plan resources a bit better and have less emergency cases coming in
    cause what happens ypuveboked your c section for sunday week and wake up and realise babs wants to come out NOW .is that your weekend ruined.People have to realise babies come when they want to so unless medical emergency dont have a c section.And btw op come back when you actually have one and then talk about it :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 taylouhan

I had to have an emergency c-section after 22 hours of labour, the epidural didn't work on me, yet thats what they used to numb me for the section!!! I have to say it's horrible feeling them tugging and pulling at you but it was unbelievably quick and a relief to finally have my baby safe & sound and in perfect condition. I had to stay in bed for a couple of hours until I got all feeling back but I had my little girl with me the whole time. I was up feeding and changing her in no time and never needed any help, the staples were taken out the day I left and the scar [which is under your knickers line and goes across now,not up to your belly button] is barley visible with the help of bio oil!!

My sister gave birth naturally and tore, she suffered for over a month after the birth and could barely sit down!! I was with her during the birth and it just reminded me that if I ever have another baby, i'll be doing it by c-section again for sure!! Personally i've never heard of a c-section going wrong but I have heard of natural births going wrong. C-sections are there for safety in case anything goes wrong during a natural birth so how can it be so wrong to choose to do it?? It's just like breast feeding,it's wrong not to do it unless you have problems and can't,then formula is just as good!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

C section is just as safe as a vaginal birth, especially if it's planned. It's easy to think of c sections as being more dangerous because most are emergency, when a woman has tried the vaginal way and problems arose.
    As I stated earlier, I intend on having a planned c section if I ever get pregnant because ultimately it's what's safest for me, and that in turn is also what's safest for my baby.

Where on earth did you get the idea that its just as safe as a natural delivery:confused::confused: ( as long as there are no exceptional circumstances o course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

that is quite annoying alright. its just that 90% of the population (made up statistic) likes babies and is unable to understand why everyone doesn't like them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Where on earth did you get the idea that its just as safe as a natural delivery:confused::confused: ( as long as there are no exceptional circumstances o course)

Most of the information I've looked at up said that a natural birth and a c section are just about as safe for the baby. It's the woman who bears the brunt of the extra risk in a c section since it's a major surgery for her and then the normal risks of surgery apply - infection, blood clotting, longer hospital stay, etc.
    You can't just discount natural births with complications (which often result in a c section to protect the baby and mother) - you'd have to discount c sections with complications as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Its fine not to want babies, not all women do.

A lot of people have no particular love for them.

But saying you hate them?

So eh, you hate people?

Becaues thats what babies are.

So what, you start liking them when they get to a certain age?

Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Peared wrote: »

So eh, you hate people?

Ridiculous.

I thought the exact same when I read the posts, I couldnt say it as well as you!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

I think I'd rather have a regular birth if possible, 'cos I hate the idea of the surgeon rooting around the stomach/uterus as if he/she was emptying a shopping bag (Wait! There's something left behind!).:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

I think I'd rather have a regular birth if possible, 'cos I hate the idea of the surgeon rooting around the stomach/uterus as if he/she was emptying a shopping bag (Wait! There's something left behind!).:)

Thats about right :D

2 sections, first was emergency, 2nd was elective but it took me 7 months to decide to have the elective. Its far from the easy way out in fact the risks are higher, the recovery is longer and its damn scary being wide awake while someone is cutting you open and rummaging around your stomach moving your organs about.

But in hindsight i didnt want to go through the emergency again, and the statistics didnt ease my mind that it wouldnt happen, its not like giving birth and bringing new life into the world, its like having been in an accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Peared wrote: »

So eh, you hate people?

Ridiculous.

yea i know its crazy. once they start walking around and stop being the worthless lump of blubber that just screams and sh*ts from time to time I start to like them slightly more

and now everyone will say i was one of them myself once, but that won't make me like them either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

towel401 wrote: »
    yea i know its crazy. once they start walking around and stop being the worthless lump of blubber that just screams and sh*ts from time to time I start to like them slightly more

and now everyone will say i was one of them myself once, but that won't make me like them either

:rolleyes:

Theres always one, or two...............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

towel401 wrote: »

Given that the opposite of love is indifference, what do you think made you hate them so much? Mugged by a vicious biker baby perhaps? Bad experience with flying nappy? Sharing is the path to healing!:):)

Btw - not that fond of them either

Advertisement