Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dentist Charges for Teenager Check-up

Options
  • 13-05-2008 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

Okay, so I brought my 13year old daughter to the dentist yesterday for a check-up. He examined her teeth, called out what was or wasn't there to the nurse who recorded it on a computer. He then took 4 x-rays to establish where her adult teeth were, as not all baby teeth were gone.

So exam 5mins, x-ray 5mins, and then a discussion post x-ray review, for another 5mins - total cost 95euro :eek:, apparantly she is not covered by anything; schools, my PRSI, etc.. ?

I must admit I thought I mis-heard the amount when the receptionist said it, I did question was she not covered under anything, but she said basically no, and put through the amount on my credit card.

Any opinions on this ? Does the amount sound right ? Previously in primary school we never paid anything. :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

My dentist charges 15euro per X-ray and 35euro for a 15 min checkup would be fine, though mine doesn't charge for checkups. So it sounds pretty standard imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

95 sounds about right if she had x-rays taken, those things are not cheap.

Is your daughter still in primary school? At 13 wouldn't she be in secondary? If you don't have a medical card or have her on a private health insurance scheme then I can't think what she'd be covered by.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

what about the school dental service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭board om

as already said unless you had her on your private health insurance then she wouldnt be covered any other way. even as an adult PRSI doesnt cover you for standard dental work, it only covers for certain work carried out.

€95 would sound about right for xrays etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mazdagirl

Hi there is school dentists you can see, our school did not have one for a long time we have just got it back but I live down in the country I might be different in Dublin, when I had to bring my 9 year old I rang the local health board and asked could they give me the number for my school dentist or if there is a nurse that comes to the school to give the boosters she should know, the only thing is you will have to wait a bit longer and you go to who they send you to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mazdagirl

Hi there is school dentists you can see, our school did not have one for a long time we have just got it back but I live down in the country I might be different in Dublin, when I had to bring my 9 year old I rang the local health board and asked could they give me the number for my school dentist or if there is a nurse that comes to the school to give the boosters she should know, the only thing is you will have to wait a bit longer and you go to who they send you to.

sorry didnt see that she is 13 the dentist is only provided for national school if she is in secondary school unfortunatly you have to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Thanks everyone, yes she is 13, and in 1st year of secondary school. Was a little shock going from paying nothing to 95euro ! Which is more than it even costs me for a visit !

Another joy of having teenagers I guess ! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Keep the receipt and claim tax relief on it - it should ease the pain! - But afaik, unless covered by medical card, its not covered by anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭board om

mcaul wrote: »
    Keep the receipt and claim tax relief on it - it should ease the pain! - But afaik, unless covered by medical card, its not covered by anything else.

you can claim off your tax for nearly everything when it comes to medical care but they cover very little in the way of dental care. under the Med1 Health Expenses you can only claim for Non-Routine Dental Expenses, so a check up wouldnt be copvered under that. it would have to be something pretty serious to get anything back for dental work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Thanks for the information and advice. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Your entitled to a free checkup every two years under your prsi payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

craichoe wrote: »

True, except kids don't usually pay PRSI. And parents PRSI does not always cover.
    eddiem74 wrote: »
    Another joy of having teenagers I guess ! :pac:

Yeah, I think this is a disgrace, just when they need dental care the most (teen years - braces, etc), automatic government paid cover is dropped - until they reach 18. Sounds like a conspiracy - dentists know that parents will pay, so it's a nice earner.

Basic & remedial dental care should be free up to the age of 18 (& after that if unemployed).

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hamiltron

board om wrote: »
    as already said unless you had her on your private health insurance then she wouldnt be covered any other way. even as an adult PRSI doesnt cover you for standard dental work, it only covers for certain work carried out.

€95 would sound about right for xrays etc.
    craichoe wrote: »

Sorry to go off topic a bit, but I wanted to point out that, with PRSI cover, you only have to wait a year between checks. From DSFA site:

"ORAL EXAMINATION

A complete oral examination of hard and soft tissue, medical and dental history, recording of missing teeth, diagnosis and treatment plan.

The fee for examination includes any necessary intra-oral radiographs.

Except on grounds of exceptional clinical necessity, a fee shall not be payable by the Department unless a clear interval of not less than 12 months has elapsed since such an examination was last completed."

http://www.welfare.ie/publications/dental_sof.html

OP, thanks for highlighting that kids are not covered by PRSI - I just kind of assumed that they would be. If they were, the whole thing should have been free, including the x-rays (see bold above).

Advertisement