Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trapp's first Squad

• 13-05-2008 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

Republic of Ireland squad:
    Goalkeepers: Colin Doyle, Dean Kiely, Joe Murphu
    Defenders: Alex Bruce, Damien Delaney, Richard Dunne, Kevin Foley, Stephen Kelly, Paul McShane, Darren O'Dea, John O'Shea
    Midfielders: Damien Duff, Owen Garvan, Darron Gibson, Wes Hoolahan, Stephen Hunt, Aiden McGeady, Stephen McPhail, Liam Miller, Darren Potter, Andy Reid, Martin Rowlands, Sean Scannell, Glenn Whelan
    Forwards: Kevin Doyle, Robbie Keane, Andy Keogh, Shane Long, Daryl Murphy

From: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0513/trapattoni.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

there are some right turds in there....great to see Garvan, Whelan and Hoolahan in there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

No Paddy Kenny?!?!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I usually wouldent start the attacks on Robbie as i think hes quality but with Ireland he tries to do too much (and ends up failing) as the players around him arent as good as those at his club. However why did sky just announce he wouldnt be going to the training camp? I mean the SPL, Playoff and CL players are V.Understanble but the captain whos season is over? makes no sense to me. hes not injured is he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

**** you steven Ireland...I'm sorry but I've had enough.:mad:

No Clint?

LMAO at Kiely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

wouldn't exactly galvanise the disillusioned now would it?

• Advertisement

I think its good that he was 'brave' and picked players like Garvan and Scannell. Suprised not to see James McCarthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

no ireland or finnan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Andy O'Brien, Stephen Ireland and no Steve Finnan - Great start:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I think its good that he was 'brave' and picked players like Garvan and Scannell. Suprised not to see James McCarthy.

i'm not sure i'd read into it too much. his scouting system won't have been in place too long and he will probably have had very little time to see them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

event wrote: »
    no ireland or finnan
    darkman2 wrote: »

just read it there:

Trapattoni insists the door is still open for Ireland, Finnan and O'Brien and said: 'It is now up to them to decide what to do.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

i can only assume he has seen enough of Robbie Keane and Richard Dunne to decide that they are definatley in Traps squad beacause what end of season exertions do they have over the likes of hunt and doyle lets say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

I was hoping that Liam Laurence might get a call up he has had a great season for stoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Stephen Reid?

Stephen Reid?

From RTE:
    "Shay Given, Lee Carsley, Kevin Kilbane, Steven Reid, Darron Gibson and Joey O'Brien all miss out through injury"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Weso's in the squad.

Great news for him:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

darkman2 wrote: »
    + 1 to that....

jeez am looking forward to this match...

Sometimes i wonder is it the manager to blame or the fact that the players are not the best?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭watman

Great to see Glenn Whelan get a callup but what does Liam Lawrence have to do to get called up , 15 goals 16 assists and Optima player of the championship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Is this Scannel kid anygood for Palace?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Keith Andrews has got to be worth a look, maybe not first 11 but he's good enough for that squad.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

still no place for Lee Trundle?! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

RasTa wrote: »

He is decent enough. As much as I hate to say it but Garvan deserves a call up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

An Fhile wrote: »
    still no place for Lee Trundle?! :D

yeah it's a crime aint it!

Sure he'll be playing prem footie with bristol next yeah :)

Delighted for Rowlands, been exactly the type of player the squad had been crying out for for about 5 years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭radiospan

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    From RTE:
    "Shay Given, Lee Carsley, Kevin Kilbane, Steven Reid, Darron Gibson and Joey O'Brien all miss out through injury"

Gibson is in the squad in the first post. EDIT: RTE's article says it's a 28-man squad, but they list 29, including Gibson. So maybe he's not in the squad?

And Delaney, another ex-Cork City man. Good stuff. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

SantryRed wrote: »
    Weso's in the squad.

Great news for him:D

WESO!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

RasTa wrote: »

he has looked great on tv tonight for palace - quite an exciting prospect.i am sure the commentator said he is 17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Good squad. Looks like Trap has taken a look at what is available and is getting the components in place to make his long term team rather than a quick fix. McCarthy did the same thing and whilst it took a while for everything to gel but the final results were undeniable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Syke

I wouldn't read too much into the Ireland/Finnan/O'Brien situation.

It is the end of a long hard season, usually only players aiming to stake a claim are fired up for these games and its usually a depleted squad. Look at the end of seasons squads of years gone by.

The test will be the warm up games for the qualifiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I'm may not be expecting big things any time soon, but I'm perfectly happy with Trapp's initial selection.

::Edit::

smackbunnybaby, according to wiki you are correct, he is 17. Apparently he plays on the wing or up front and is described as an exciting player with searing pace. Palace promptly put a £3 million price tag on him after the likes of Man U and Man City began sniffing around. One for the future, hopefully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Well... Scannel really impressed me tonight. I watched all 120mins of Bristol City vs Palace and he is a bundle of energy with amazing pace and a lovely touch. I am very exited by his potential i just hope he plays alot of football and gets a good manager for development.

Oh and btw lads, Lee Trundle scored a peach and was brilliant tonight. I actually asked Brian Kerr in person to call him up at a training session in the Carlisle Grounds a few years back, he said "Are you joking?" and i said "Gary Doherty up front... Are YOU joking?"

• Advertisement

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Well... Scannel really impressed me tonight. I watched all 120mins of Bristol City vs Palace and he is a bundle of energy with amazing pace and a lovely touch. I am very exited by his potential i just hope he plays alot of football and gets a good manager for development.

Oh and btw lads, Lee Trundle scored a peach and was brilliant tonight. I actually asked Brian Kerr in person to call him up at a training session in the Carlisle Grounds a few years back, he said "Are you joking?" and i said "Gary Doherty up front... Are YOU joking?"

Bravo.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

jameshayes wrote: »
    No Paddy Kenny?!?!

Id sooner chance giving Enda Kenny a game.

Hmm, I wonder what the story with Stephen Ireland is? meh, end of the season, maybe he wants a few weeks off and will join up for the Norway game. Hope we hear something soon anyway.

Ah sure, just let Stevie stroll back on his own accord....''back for the norway game Gio''

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭KERPAL

Scannels a good player, i thought i was seeing double, Anderson-esque

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Ah sure, just let Stevie stroll back on his own accord....''back for the norway game Gio''

:D

Our Lord and Jesus divine saviour Roy Keane did it for years in friendlies. And S Ireland will likely be a more prolific goalscorer than Keane if he does return. It is hardly ideal but tbh when you have a player like Ste Ireland sometimes the old thing of no man is bigger than the team doesnt really ring true. He might be acting the bollix, but in this case it may be better to give the whinger what he wants. Sven really wanted him playing international football, but unfortunately right now whether S Ireland plays for us is very far down Svens list of priorities.

Maby if Sven takes over Benfica, he will buy Ireland?

Man I like Ireland, but I don't feel he should just stroll back to the team when he sees fit. Its not like he's done enough to just walse in and out of the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'm going to bit my tongue on the Stephen Ireland thing for my own sake.

Delighted to see Weso, Damien Delaney, Glenn Whelan and Garvan in there. Don't rate Alex Bruce at all though. Overall it's a good first squad by Trap an dbe nice to see some of the new faces in action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I usually wouldent start the attacks on Robbie as i think hes quality but with Ireland he tries to do too much (and ends up failing) as the players around him arent as good as those at his club. However why did sky just announce he wouldnt be going to the training camp? I mean the SPL, Playoff and CL players are V.Understanble but the captain whos season is over? makes no sense to me. hes not injured is he?
    He arranged his stag to Las Vegas last year I think.

Good to see Trap going for the more technically gifted midfielders. They've either got the ability to play a 50 yard pass with ease, they've got the ability to beat a player or they're Liam Miller.

shane86 wrote: »
    Hmm, I wonder what the story with Stephen Ireland is? meh, end of the season, maybe he wants a few weeks off and will join up for the Norway game. Hope we hear something soon anyway.

I think his Granny died :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    I think his Granny died :D

My first opportunity to use this - :rolleyes:

Xavi6 wrote: »
    My first opportunity to use this - :rolleyes:

Is that Towelie from South park :p ^^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

A disgrace Liam Lawrence was not included in the panel.

It is a it unnerving that we only have two top-flight strikers in the squad. If Kevin Doyle isn't picked up by a Premier League side in the summer, this could be Daryl Murphy's big chance to break into the starting 11.

Doyle will probably be off to Sunderland though. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Weso YESSSSSSSSSSSS.:p Imagine he started and scored. Feckin' hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

shane86 wrote: »

My sources say no means no. He doenst want to play and thats that. He only met Traps because Sven made him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

Jaysus you don't actually think Trundle could/should get a call up do you?? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

My sources say no means no. He doenst want to play and thats that. He only met Traps because Sven made him.

Sources??? Any chance of an elaboration?

To be honest he's not that good anyway... and his hair looks like mine did at my debs 11 years ago!!! And all those photo's got nice and burned!!! :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Please God let Scannel develop into a top player, let Steven Reid have a good injury free season next year, Duff hit his best form again , McGeady perfrom to his best,Stephen Kelly continue his good form , Dunne and Given to always be availible and Keane to bang in goals and not have another 2 years of fake hope and we have a chance crap please......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Sources??? Any chance of an elaboration?

:

PM if you want to know

Advertisement