Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuter bike opinions??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Depends what you want really. The Specialized Sirrus, Lapierre RCR and Giant FCR will all be quite sporty and fast. I have a Sirrus Elite myself and can certainly recommend them; the Lapierre and Giant also look good so depends on which one fits/suits really. Specialized Globe will be slower with a more upright riding position. 15 km each way is quite far and as such I would be leaning towards the sporty ones, ruling out the Globe.

Spec on the Giant probably wins with carbon fork and seatpost, which may damp road vibrations. The Sirrus has a suspension seatpost, which is either a plus point or a bit annoying. (Mine went from plus point to a bit annoying over a 4-5 year period and I replaced it with a carbon one.)

Gearing is higher on the Giant (52 big ring with 12-26) while the Lapierre is lower but also has more range (28-38-48 with 11-30) - would be easier to get up steep hills (although 30-26 should be enough to get you up anything.) Sirrus loses some of the high end with a 48 big ring but on the low end would be similar to the Giant.

Tyres on the Sirrus are wider (slower, but more cushioning) than the other two. They are _not_ Armadillos, which would otherwise have been a plus point for the Sirrus.

Overall if I had to choose between these myself and it fit (most important) I think I would go for the Giant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I got the Lapierre you're looking at about 2 months ago. I really like it. I cycle from Rathfarnham to City Centre, takes 20-25 on the way in, 25-30 on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

Yeah I agree with Blorg, Giant for spec and looks wise too.! Good bike.
    You might want to check out the Kona Dew Plus also, might be a little more pricey, Im using a Dr Dew 07 and love it I've heard the Dew Plus 08 is a great bike, though the wheelbase is little short.!

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=12379&catID=430

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

I also use the Giant FCR3 for commuting but would suggest pushing to see if your bike shop will throw in something like Armadillo tyres. Had a bad run of punctures earlier this year on the stock tyres; changed to Armadillos about a month ago and all is fine since. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I got the lapierre 500 last year, had been looking at the Sirrus and FCR 3/2. I had not even considered Lapieere until I went into the Cyclesuperstore and they put me on one, felt great.

I'd say don't bother with the globe and try out the other 3, see which fels best. You can try the giant and the lapierre in tallaght.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Anything with thin tyres and no suspension will do the job. I do 15km through the city centre on an old steel singlespeed mtb with 1.5" semi slicks in around 45 minutes.

If it's 15km on country roads then a road bike might be better alright for serious speed. At that price range and distance, I can't imagine you'd notice much difference between the bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I cant comment on the other bikes you linked OP, but i use an FCR3 for an 11k commute every day and its the business. Also, if you do go for the giant (or any of the others i assume) take macinallis advice and change the tyres to armadillos or continental ultra gatorskinz. good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

another thumbs up here for the FCR3.
    Saddle and tyres are the two things that need changing from the shop spec and then you have a great commuter which you can also use for long cycles at the weekend too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

I want that Giant!!!

Anyone have a spare €500 or €600?

The Lapierre would do fine though.

Advertisement