Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Job PC....

Options
  • 13-05-2008 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭

I'm in the position where I might be able to purchase an old Dell Pentium 4 office PC for about 50 quid.

It's pretty basic, with about 1Gb of RAM and a 2.4Ghz processor.

I was wondering though, what can actually be done with this thing? Aside from using the Pentium to fry eggs.

I'm not sure about what's on the inside, beyond that lot though, so I can't really say.

Only thing I can really see it being useable for is as some sort of storage, with a couple of large harddrives bolted into it. either that, or something a bit wacky.

Wacky things to build with out of a 50 Euro four year old PC anyone?

I might just stash an entirely new PC inside the case....a real sleeper of a thing to have lying around.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's still pretty powerful; I think you're exaggerating the age of its hardware. Certainly worth more then 50 quid, at worst, you could sell it at a decent profit. It would also be great as a general home machine, fresh install of XP would be lightning fast. If it has an AGP slot, it'd do as a relatively capable games machine, though better for the slightly older 2006 era crop of releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

I just hope it becomes available before June 30th then... because it is an XP machine.I wouldn't dare put Vista on it right now...it would just grind itself into the ground. It's already slower than my Laptop...it takes twice as long running EMTP calculations...so it'll only fall off even more.

It might be able to take an extra Gig of RAM, which would probably make the machine.

I'd love to stick some sort of Gaming machine in it... just save the dusty old case.... And then enjoy the odd looks when I point to my blistering new PC and it looks like some old rat of a thing.

It's a decent sized case, so something should fit inside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

It'd be perfect for running MAME on...if you're into the older games. Alternatively it could be a useful internet/torrent system. I've got a similar era Dell 4550 here that i'm going to rebuild just for the hell of it :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Advertisement