Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games you just never got to play

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

So which of the older games (from three or four years ago) would be worth a play now? Or are they all just too dated?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Three or four years isnt that old. For exapmle, Knights of the Old Republic is five years old. I'd recommend pretty much any of the game that were listed below, especially System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Baldurs Gate 1/2 (Infinity Engine ftw!), SotC, Diablo, and Planescape.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

:eek:

Get out. Get out Now.....

:( I know I know... thing is I can't play old games. Plus I haven't owned a console in years which is why I missed all of the console games since 1999. Plus I only really got into PC gaming in a big way 2 years ago, and even then I was only really playing 3rd person and FPS games.

Don't know if I could go back and play the older games though. As it is at the moment I barely have the time to get through my backlog of current games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

None of your current backlog (or very few anyway) are anywhere near as good as two FPS's in that list. System Shock 2 and Deus Ex. I cant recommend these enough. The pinnacle of FPS (with some rpg) mixed in there, imo.

Well if you've got Bioshock, you've got a good idea about System Shock...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

silvine wrote: »
    Well if you've got Bioshock, you've got a good idea about System Shock...

Now you're just trying to start a fight!

Shodan made me do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

99% of the ps games.
    All the cube games.

Panzar Dragoon Orta
    Beyond Good and Evil

to name but a few

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

It was installed tonight ...now I must go and see what all the fuss is about :D

Bear in mind that it starts off very very slowly and is terrible for the first while. Just keep at it and you'll be sucked in. Explore conversations as much as you can, they go places. Also bear in mind that Charisma, Wisdom and Intelligence will change what conversation options you're given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I've played none of these games

I've played maybe 3/4 of them, so I'm in the same boat as you.

Never played Final Fantasy or Resident Evil either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭WEST

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Now you're just trying to start a fight!

+1. Bisohock cant compare to system shock 2 gameplay. By the way there is a texture pack download for SS2. Make sure you get that before you play it

And to anyone who has not played Deus Ex or SS2, go and buy them now! Just tell your friends that you will be away for a while cos you will will be glued to the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ballybay_eh

armour87 wrote: »
    My biggest 'regrets' so far would be

Baldurs Gate

Downloaded it a couple of months back. I had played Baldur's Gate 2 before I played it. Graphics were pretty bad so I downloaded the Tutu mod which means you can play the first game using the second's graphics. Its pretty good. Not a patch on the sequel which is, by the way, the pinnacle of PC RPGs and my joint favourite game ever (with Half Life 2). Its better than Planescape: Torment which has also been mentioned on this thread. Its good, if a little text heavy.

You might as well play Baldur's Gate 2 and the add on. Its vastly superior to the original and you do get filled in on the whole of the back story. You do miss out on some of the links to previous appearances of characters though. :( You can wiki the rest.

My 360 recently broke so I went back to my old xbox to play some of the games I'd missed, namely:
    Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
    Psychonauts
    and Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath

All critically acclaimed but deemed commercial failures. Only got 'round to playing the first two. Riddick = short but very sweet. One of the best games on the Xbox. I'd recommend the remake when it comes out for PS3 or 360. Psychonauts = flawed gem. Great design and humour. Actually, amazing design and humour. Some of the levels... Genius. A few camera issues and the last level is a bitch! I'll definitely be buying the next Tim Schafer game though.

Didn't get to play Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath yet. Got some great reviews. Anyone here played it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Didn't get to play Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath yet. Got some great reviews. Anyone here played it?

Yup. Probably the best game on XBox Phat along with Psychonauts. Shame there will be no Oddworld games anymore as Strangers was truly an evolution of the series, and the most imaginative FPS in some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

i would have liked to have played ultima online and everquest back in the day, phone bill might have been a problem though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I was never able to get into SS2. Played it for about an hour and gave up bored. That said, I played and gave up on Planescape at least three times before, after much convincing from friends, I forced myself to keep playing until I got stuck in a loved it.

I have never seen a game that is so damn good have such an appalling first few levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Weird that I see this thread now because I am currently trying to correct this unavoidable scenario that every gamer encounters.
    I got a copy of Grim Fandango off ebay and am playing through that now. It's fun but not living up to what I had heard. Was gonna give Psychonauts a whirl as I heard it was very good too but not sure after this now.
    Next on my list is probably Bioshock.
    There are loads of games I missed that I'll probably never catch up on such as Black & White, Final Fantasy IX, X and X 2, Call of Duty 2 and loads of others I can't even remember...

Seifer wrote: »
    I got a copy of Grim Fandango off ebay and am playing through that now. It's fun but not living up to what I had heard. Was gonna give Psychonauts a whirl as I heard it was very good too but not sure after this now.
    Next on my list is probably Bioshock.

Grim Fandango's pretty good. The humour is excellent as is the overall film-noir stlye but I think a lot boils down to whether or not you like adventure games.

You should still give Psychonauts a go. Only played it a couple of months back. I'm generally not a fan of platformers but I really enjoyed it. Again, a great sense of humour and some of the best individual levels you'll find any game. The one with all the undercover robot agents wearing trenchcoats looking for the milkman where you have to pose as (amongst other things) a plumber, weeping widow and housewife to get past them... Sounds weird. It is. It's also hilarious.

Bioshock is definitely worth a look too. The reviews were right. So much thought went into the game and the creation of Rapture (the underwater paradise). Its steeped in atmosphere. Very enjoyable. You have some very memorable gaming moments ahead of you... Now would you kindly go and play it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Now would you kindly go and play it?

"No" says the man in hollywood, "It belongs in the theaters"

(yes, i realise it's probably been posted already, but i just wanted to make that joke)

You should still give Psychonauts a go. Only played it a couple of months back. I'm generally not a fan of platformers but I really enjoyed it. Again, a great sense of humour and some of the best individual levels you'll find any game. The one with all the undercover robot agents wearing trenchcoats looking for the milkman where you have to pose as (amongst other things) a plumber, weeping widow and housewife to get past them... Sounds weird. It is. It's also hilarious.

+1 I missed Psychonauts when it was released, but forced myself to come back and play it. Initially I was wary as it looked like a game in the same class as crash bandicoot and other generic 3D platformers. But this game is in a league of its own. Each level is thoroughly unique. The robot agents level was a good one "is that milk regular kind or the exploding dream kind?" but I found the lungfish level absolutely hilarious.

Psychonauts is definitely one not to miss. It got the balance between humor, gameplay and graphics just perfect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Each level is thoroughly unique. The robot agents level was a good one "is that milk regular kind or the exploding dream kind?" but I found the lungfish level absolutely hilarious.

The G-Man level is probably the funniest hour of gaming I have ever sat through (along with maybe the last hour of Portal)
    “Although I sometimes smell of excretement, I deserve your respect because I provide a valuable service.”
    “Although over time my husband will lose desire for me sexually, he will always love my pies.”

Also love the painters level - best artstyle ever. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Well looks like I'll have to play it now. Was thinking of getting it over steam. Do you think it would be handy enough to play using a keyboard?

Seifer wrote: »
    Well looks like I'll have to play it now. Was thinking of getting it over steam. Do you think it would be handy enough to play using a keyboard?

yes and no... the first 95% of the game will be ok with a keyboard and mouse, the last 5% will not. Watch the Zero Punctuation review of Psychonauts, its one of the few games he loved, but he also recognizes the sudden spike in the learning curve when you get close to the end. I could not of completed the last few levels without an analogue controller.

I played it on the PC and used a logitech cordless rumblepad that you can pick up pretty cheap from peats. Also, PS3 and Xbox 360 controllers are compatible with PC's

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

really enjoyed god of war but missed out in 2..

prob won't play COD4 even though i hear it is class

can't really think of anything else

btw back to first post... ico is a brilliant puzzle adventure wit great story but don't be expecting great combat or replay value

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭vestanpance

I'm sure there's loads I've missed out on, many of which have already been mentioned before, but here's a list of games that i've never played but I actually own, and yes, I know I should be ashamed:

PC
    Gears of War
    Quake 4
    GTA San Andreas
    Manhunt
    Shellshock Nam 67
    Doom 3
    Prey
    Gun
    Call of Juarez
    Soldier of Fortune 11
    Soldier of Fortune 3 (or payback or whatever it's called)
    Dawn of War (plus the expansion packs Winter Assult and Dark Crusade)
    Brothers in Arms
    STALKER
    Unreal Tournament 111
    Ghost Recon Advance Warrior
    Dreamfall (and the Longest Journey)
    GTA Vice City

XBOX 360
    Halo 3
    Assasins Creed
    Sega Rally
    Viva Pinata

Wii
    The Legend of Zelda
    Red Steel
    Trauma Centre

and about 20 PS2 games that there's no point in mentioning.

Now, my reason for this list is this, what do you recommend I play next, I am currently half through Call of Duty 4 on the PC and will be finishing that before I try anything else.

Hmmm... a lot of decent games there. I'd say Vice City or Legend of Zelda. Haven't played Vice City in a good few years so I don't know how its aged but its one of the best games I've ever played. Its better than San Andreas. And Zelda... well, its Zelda. Its gonna be great.

Just out of curiosity how do you end up with so many games and not play them?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭vestanpance

Hmmm... a lot of decent games there. I'd say Vice City or Legend of Zelda. Haven't played Vice City in a good few years so I don't know how its aged but its one of the best games I've ever played. Its better than San Andreas. And Zelda... well, its Zelda. Its gonna be great.

Just out of curiosity how do you end up with so many games and not play them?

Not enough time and too much fancy packaging making me buy these games, but seriously, I buy the games as I really want to play them but never have the time. Unfortunately, Championship Manager and Football Manager grab hold too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

STALKER
    I have to say I installed this again recently and finally have a rig that plays it flawlessly...it is simply brilliant. It's like 3d fallout..very bleak and depressing feel to the environments and it's a tough game to beat with all the sub missions.. Although remember to save alot :D

Advertisement