Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sore Balls

Options
  • 13-05-2008 3:41pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So been cycling about 35k per day now for about 6 weeks. Really enjoying it but the last week my balls have been killing me!

I just have a bog standard MTB, so I need recommendation on a good saddle and padded shorts please:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

What kind of saddle is on it now?
    You should also take a look at your position on the bike - i.e. saddle height, bar height, reach etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Morgan wrote: »
    What kind of saddle is on it now?
    You should also take a look at your position on the bike - i.e. saddle height, bar height, reach etc.

Just the one that came with the bike, I use it to commute and probably if i stick with it once the winter comes i'll invest in a proper bike.

I feel comfortable on the bike, I dont feel like i'm putting any pressure on other parts of my body with my riding position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Would be an idea to get your balls checked. No jokes like. Might not be the saddle. Although having gotten back into commutting on a bike I can safely say they are ucomfortable vehicles. Will be getting a new saddle myself soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Its straight out of the first Lance Armstrong book (great read). His balls felt sore for a while too, he took his mind off it for as long as he could.

I think the actual quote is "they were as big as oranges" which was when he finally decided to get them checked, and we all know what happened from there...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Dotn worry lads they are regulary checked by myself, i'd rather not have to get one cut out so I keep an eye on things!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

What kind of cacks/jocks are you wearing? I wear cycling shorts (nappy included) and it kind of keeps everything packed up nice and tight. If you're wearing, like, football shorts or something there could be way more scope for a bit of unwanted bopping around - if you follow me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Definitely get some padded cycling shorts.

What kind of cacks/jocks are you wearing? I wear cycling shorts (nappy included) and it kind of keeps everything packed up nice and tight. If you're wearing, like, football shorts or something there could be way more scope for a bit of unwanted bopping around - if you follow me.

Yeah football shorts, any good recommendations on where to get good shorts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Have a look at chainreactioncycles.com

They have a decent range of baggy shorts with nappies on the inside as well as the more traditional skin tight ones. I go for the baggies on my commute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

I got some padded cycling underwear from Aldi the other week, makes a world of difference.

They were cheap as chips in Aldi, I’d say they’d be great value even at twice what I paid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I'm not sure what the aldi ones were like, but when I started wearing the lycra shorts I was a bit conscious of looking like a knob so I wore them inside a pair of trackie bottoms. I was sliding around like....like....like....God knows what inside the trackie bottoms. I'd sit on the saddle and immediately slide forwards cos the lycra was so smooth.

I overcame the self consciousness pretty quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

FWIW, I wear lycras under a pair of baggies for commuting, both have pads, I dunno if this is bad or good. The pockets on the baggies are great for things that need easy access - e.g keys, swipe card for bike shed etc so I don't have to root around in a bag for it. Also they just look like shorts.

The lycras are useful to keep everything 'together', also the lycras dry real fast compared to the baggies, essential for frequent washing, whereas the baggies only need to get washed weekly since they're not in close proxity with the sweaty bits.

I've not noticed the sliding around much though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I wear lycra padded jobs under normal long shorts. As kenmc says the pockets on the normal shorts are great for keys, wallet, phone, swipe etc.

Football shorts could indeed lead to a bit of banging about which could be most uncomfortable. You could just try a pair of underpants (i.e. not boxers - the tighty-whitey types) under the shorts to hold yourself together, see if that makes a difference before splashing out on cycling shorts

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

I find bib shorts hold the bits in place better normal waistband cycling shorts.

I have 3 pairs - jeantes, BTwin (decathlon chain shops), and Aldi. The aldi ones bought last week look hideous around the packet dept. I like the jeantex best - i use them for my long runs - the other 2 i wear for commuting

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Maybe the 3/4 length baggies with chamois. I have a pair of altura baggies for the commute and i find sometimes the wind creeps up my leg and it can get quite cold.

Advertisement