Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Mullingar Playstation 3 problems

Options
  • 13-05-2008 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

My playstation broke down recently for no apparent reason. I had only bought it in December. It has a year warranty so my brother dropped it back to Tesco Mullingar with a valid original receipt. The hardware manager was'nt there at the time but he left his details and said he would et back to us. Didi nt hear from them for a week so I dropped in playstation myself. They took a copy of the receipt and and said they would get back to me. Hardware manager rang me that evening and told me to ring customer careline myself, even though its tesco's responsibility under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 as the goods were within the warranty period offered by manafacturer. He aloso said he did not know anything about playstations. Playstation told me that tesco should of replaced the playstation straight away. Tried to contact the hardware manager but he did'nt answer. Whenever I ring tesco he is either busy, on a conference call, or there is a secutity issue in the shop! I suspect that alot of playstation 3's are dodgy as the playstation operator acted like it was a common problem. I have not heard from him in over a week. My brother called into the shop but he was not there. How should I proceed. I am really pissed off and feel like making a formal complaint.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

1. Call into the store one final time. Demand he speaks to you, but be polite and calm. Do not get agressive.

2. If no answer, pass on your number and say if you don't get an answer by close of business, you will be taking it further.

3. No answer, go to small claims court. You'll win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

If it was me ,I'd go to customer services and plonk the ps3 on the desk.

Let them ask you what is the problem and tell them that your looking for the manager.

Don't tell them you've contacted sony ,until you're about to walk out. Get them to ring sony in front of you and bring the number with you.

I got sorted out in HMV straight away ,they where almost apologetic about it. They explained that I would get a replacement and money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I hope you are keeping records of everything i.e. calls and visits. You should write a letter with possibly registered post although proof of postage would proabably be enough. Then give them maybe 7 days to respond. If they do not sort it by then take them to the small claims court. Show all the attempts you made to get this resolved and you should get all if not just the majority of your money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

go back to tesco and ask to see the store manager there not just some shop-boy with a hardware manager title. bring the ps3 with you and tell the manager you were on the phone to sony who told you to bring the ps3 back to the store you bought it for a replacement! then hand it over to him and wait and see what happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 daboyfergie

they eventually got back to me and said I could call into store for refund, hopefully this will be the end of the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭veloc123

they eventually got back to me and said I could call into store for refund, hopefully this will be the end of the issue.

The retail outlet is responsible they have to replace it...mine was the same bought it in Feb 2008 then at the end of March it died..HMV replaced it straight away!!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

foggy_lad wrote: »
    go back to tesco and ask to see the store manager there not just some shop-boy with a hardware manager title. bring the ps3 with you and tell the manager you were on the phone to sony who told you to bring the ps3 back to the store you bought it for a replacement! then hand it over to him and wait and see what happens

1) How do you know the Hardware manager is a shop boy.

2) What is wrong with being a shop boy, seeing as I was one, and also a manager?

OP, it's not clear from the post, did Tesco take the PS3 from you or sent you away with it? I am glad you got it resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

veloc123 wrote: »
    The retail outlet is responsible they have to replace it...mine was the same bought it in Feb 2008 then at the end of March it died..HMV replaced it straight away!!!

No, they can replace, refund or repair the item. It is up to the retailer.

Attol wrote: »
    No, they can replace, refund or repair the item. It is up to the retailer.
    Since when is it up to the retailer?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

axer wrote: »

Since the law was passed, once 14 days have passed.

• Advertisement

chrislad wrote: »
    Since the law was passed, once 14 days have passed.
    Which law? Where does the 14 days figure come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Which law? Where does the 14 days figure come from?

I think that only applies to purchases made over the phone or online as you havent seen the product until its delivered.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Its part of consumer law. Ive read the relevant statutory gobbledegook and it is hard to find the absolute sentence where that is stated. But it is how the law has been interpreted for as long as Ive been in retail. Retailer must repair, replace, or refund, whichever fits the situation best.

Oryx wrote: »
    Retailer must repair, replace, or refund, whichever fits the situation best.
    Exactly, the retailer doesn't have the say on which remedy is the one that should be followed - it is about what is reasonable i.e. whichever fits the situation best as you put it. There are no hard fast rules for lengths of times or which rememdy should be given by a retailer however until you have legally accepted the goods a full refund can be demanded if the item develops a fault etc (again, there is no hard fast lengths of time before you have legally accepted the goods). Some people have the impression that the seller always knows best with their policies etc but usually this is not the case from my experience.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/consumer-protection/consumer-rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland
    It is important to note that there are no hard and fast rules as to which remedy you should be entitled to. When seeking redress for problems with goods or services the circumstances of each individual case must be taken into account.

Advertisement