Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most Disimproved Player?

• 13-05-2008 4:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭

I always think this is a more interesting topic than "best" or "most improved" player. So who in your opinion has regressed most this season and why do you say that - and why do you think it is?

This is more difficult than simply listing bad players. Titus Bramble is still lol - but he hasn't gone backwards this year.

I'll start with Kevin Doyle.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Berbetov, very average and lazy this season, not what I was expecting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Ryan giggs for me.
    Absolute howler of a season.
    Played well for maybe 2 games.
    Granted he is no spring chicken at this stage.

Also Paul Robinson, some fall from grace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I always think this is a more interesting topic than "best" or "most improved" player. So who in your opinion has regressed most this season and why do you say that - and why do you think it is?

This is more difficult than simply listing bad players. Titus Bramble is still lol - but he hasn't gone backwards this year.

I'll start with Kevin Doyle.

From what I heard and saw, his performances didn't greatly decline just his scoring touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Ryan Giggs terrible season.

Cant believe someone said John O'Shea he hardly disimproved.

Alonso had a poor season.

Benni McCarthy and Gamst Pederson. Both looked really good last year with both looking more average this year, Gamst did improve towards the end though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Steve Finnan - gone from 1st choice to not even in the squad at Liverpool

Ryan Giggs as already stated

Scott Brown at Celtic

Ronaldinho -what happened
    Robinho - off the rails

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Alonso
    Riise
    Benni McCarthy
    Eboue
    Martins
    David Nugent
    Leroy Lita
    Carson
    Dawson
    Chimbonda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Riise but he has been on the slide for a while

Van Persie has been terrible IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

^^nice name :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

dancor wrote: »
    Berbetov, very average and lazy this season, not what I was expecting.

15 league goals, 11 assists

Hows that very average?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

surprised he hasnt been mentioned yet but... Damien Duff. he is not the same player that played for Blackburn or Chelsea anymore, probably not even good enough for Newcastle now. A real shame how his injuries affected him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

surprised he hasnt been mentioned yet but... Damien Duff. he is not the same player that played for Blackburn or Chelsea anymore, probably not even good enough for Newcastle now. A real shame how his injuries affected him

I guess the question is whether he disimproved much this season in particular. He's been useless / injured since he left Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jugs82 wrote: »
    Van Persie has been terrible IMO

Four seperate injuries this season, would be unfair to judge him TBH.

McCarthy for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i'm gonna go with Finnan, mostly seeing as of all the names mentioned so far he's the most familar to me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'd have to go with Chimbonda, granted I've only seen him on MotD but he has not looked good this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

An Fhile wrote: »
    I'd have to go with Chimbonda, granted I've only seen him on MotD but he has not looked good this season.

he has been pretty **** since he gained his 'big money move' to tottenham. never looked the same as he did at Wigan. so he doesn't count :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Louis Saha seems to get more brittle each season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Kuyt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

paul robinson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

i'm gonna go with Finnan, mostly seeing as of all the names mentioned so far he's the most familar to me.

another player who's had his fair share of injuries this season

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/players/210/steve_finnan_injury.html

i'd go with Michael Dawson or Gareth Bale

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Kuyt

Kone Rosenborg Trondheim 9
    Kuyt Liverpool 7
    Luis Fabiano Sevilla FC 7
    Ronaldo Manchester United 7
    Drogba Chelsea 6
    Gerrard Liverpool 6
    Kanoute Sevilla FC 6
    Messi Barcelona 6
    Torres Liverpool 6
    Babel Liverpool 5
    Fabregas Arsenal 5
    Ibrahimovic Internazionale 5
    Pandev Lazio 5
    Raul Real Madrid 5

CL scoring charts
    7 is not a bad return for the most disimproved player in the premiership
    Plus he came 5th in the liverpool fans player of the year vote.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Killme00 wrote: »
    Robinho - off the rails

Is that a joke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Scott Carson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Melion wrote:
    Is that a joke?

i thought the same. any time i saw him (which admittedly wasn't an awful lot) he looked like he was really showing signs of reaching his potential.

DSB wrote: »
    Scott Carson.

Good shout I think. Hasn't recovered mentally from the Croatia game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Tonio

Gamst Pedersen. Was brilliant about two years ago scoring lots of spectacular goals. Has had a quiet season.

Kuyt

So you think that out of all the players in the premiership this season, the player who regressed the most is Kuyt? Seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

The entire Derby team (except Barnes) they've all gone from Championship over achievers to being out of the job probably.:rolleyes::D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    i thought the same. any time i saw him (which admittedly wasn't an awful lot) he looked like he was really showing signs of reaching his potential.

Probably Real's player of the year this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,480 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

id agree about van persie, he had a long injury free stint at the end of the season but was muck.

Greg Halford and Leighton Baines-two of the next big things at left back, yeah right!

id agree with Benni McCarthy too, its like he was sulking that he didnt get his big move last summer.

Riise has regressed terribly and not just the crazy OG v chelsea. Arbeloa as well has dropped in performance but could well get better again this season. Carra has the signs of aging too and is starting to make some mistakes(west ham awaygiving away a peno in the 90th min wasnt like him), as does Hyypia(he didnt disimprove though, in fact he over-performed considering the amount of games and his age)

Lita is a good shout too, getting loaned out to the championship must have been embarrassing considering he was at least 3rd striker choice before at reading. Doyle didnt score very often this season.

I thought McShane had potential but he was muck this season.

Anelka since he moved to Chelsea hasnt been great but perhaps thats more to do with Grant. Paulo Ferreira has disimproved at right back too. Joe cole disimproved slightly too.
    sidwell never made an impression on the chelsea first 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

another player who's had his fair share of injuries this season

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/players/210/steve_finnan_injury.html
    You beat me to it StickyMcGinty. Finnan was injured, so couldn't play.

Earlier on this thread someone made a comment about him going from a first team player to nowhere at all. Finnan missed 4 games around xmas because of injury, and 6 more in March/April. He's played 1959min of premiership football.

Mascherano (one of Liverpools best players this season) has played 2153min (about 1 game more), While Babel has only played 1420min.

Kuyt
    IrishMike wrote: »
    Kone Rosenborg Trondheim 9
    Kuyt Liverpool 7
    Luis Fabiano Sevilla FC 7
    Ronaldo Manchester United 7
    Drogba Chelsea 6
    Gerrard Liverpool 6
    Kanoute Sevilla FC 6
    Messi Barcelona 6
    Torres Liverpool 6
    Babel Liverpool 5
    Fabregas Arsenal 5
    Ibrahimovic Internazionale 5
    Pandev Lazio 5
    Raul Real Madrid 5

CL scoring charts
    7 is not a bad return for the most disimproved player in the premiership
    Plus he came 5th in the liverpool fans player of the year vote.

Thanks Mike....you beat me to it. Kuyt's most used of playing as a striker. This year Rafa has asked him to play as a winger for a long period of the season. He's had to adapt to this new position, but has done so admirably. Rooney scored 12 goals this season. 14 goals the season before that. 16 goals the season before that. Is he disimproving? No. He's been played on the left wing often times. He's contributed in orther ways.

...that said, everyones entitled to their opinion.

And mine is Riise.

rosboy wrote: »

Earlier on this thread someone made a comment about him going from a first team player to nowhere at all. Finnan missed 4 games around xmas because of injury, and 6 more in March/April. He's played 1959min of premiership football.

Mascherano (one of Liverpools best players this season) has played 2153min (about 1 game more), While Babel has only played 1420min.

Yourself and Irishmike coming up with facts to support your arguments! Tsk, that sort of posting doesn't do well on a football forum ffs! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yourself and Irishmike coming up with facts to support your arguments! Tsk, that sort of posting doesn't do well on a football forum ffs! :p

I know.....sorry. Now where is that smiley for hanging my head in shame? :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Would disagree with oshea tbh, a good squad player imo, does the job like

Finnan has to be the biggest surprise! interesting to see wher he starts off next season!

Dont think doyle has gotten much worse, would put it down to reading getting worse, i think hed b bak to his old self in no time if he had a decent team behind him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

rosboy wrote: »

Mascherano (one of Liverpools best players this season) has played 2153min (about 1 game more),

Forgive me if i've missed the jisst of this point but....

You say he's been injured but couldn't play and yet he's only missed 10 and only played 1 less than masch who seems to have played a lot of games.

Again i might have misread it, just seemed a contradiction of sorts.

Anyway for me the most disimproved would be Terry actually. Hasn't looked AS solid as before and the goals have dried up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Cech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

Ronaldinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

paul robinson surely has to get it?

Apart from that players who have gone backwards...

Mcarthy and pedersen at blackburn
    Lita and Doyle at Reading
    Alonso,Pennant at Liverpool
    Van Persie at arsenal
    Duff and Barton at Newcastle
    Anelka at Chelsea
    Senderos at Arsenal
    Benjani at Man City(after the transfer)

I know im forgetting loads but there what spring to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Damien duff.

I need not explain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Andrew Johnson...the list could go on forever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Carrick was on course for this award till around Christmas time but thankfully he has improved and back to his standard.

Would have to agree with Kevin Doyle, and to think people were touting him for Man Utd and Chelsea etc lol

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

McShane was dreadful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Invincible

Rooney was only a shadow of last year's performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Fat Frank for me, still a good player mind but shows that he was overachieving for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Unearthly wrote: »
    Would have to agree with Kevin Doyle, and to think people were touting him for Man Utd and Chelsea etc lol

To be fair to Doyle his extremely successful striking partner was taken from him, I watched Reading a few times this season and Doyle ran the Bollícks off himself. His partner for most of this season has to be one of the greediest players I have seen in some time.

Invincible wrote: »
    Rooney was only a shadow of last year's performance.

Are you serious?

Try looking at Uniteds results when he doesnt play, everything goes through him.

Wouldnt lay the action on Doyle ending up at Sundireland next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Bit harsh on Lampard imo, missed quite a few games this season, still banged in 10 goals and had 10 assists in the Premiership, which for a midfielder is still up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

i know its meant to be over this season, but id like to point out Ian Harte. Me and a mate had just been chattin about him tonight (whilst discussing keanos transfer blunders) Yeh he never was never brilliant, but he was a solid(ish) international player, and a very good club player who chipped in with goals. Now he's only 31 or so, and released by fookn levante and sunderland - thats alot steps backwards!

for the sake of keeping lloyd happy, and this thread on track :
    Darren bent - bought for the same amount as thierry went for. terrible this year
    Alan Smith - was he always this bad, was he being carried by man yoo?? terrible this year also

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Claude Makelele

• Advertisement
Advertisement